19. Jay Bruce - 127
    20. Reggie Sanders - 125
    21. Ernie Lombardi - 120
    22. Sean Casey - 118
    23. Frank McCormick - 110
    24. Dave Parker - 107
    25. Chris Sabo - 104
    26. Dave Concepcion - 101
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 8/29/2012 Reds at D'Backs

This team really is something. We all knew today's game had letdown written all over it and they did sleepwalk through 5 or 6 innings but in the end, our bench guys did the major damage. 4 HRs/ 10 batters...ballgame

This has got to be deflating to the teams following us. My guess is they were counting on the Reds to drop one or two out here but they did just what good teams do. Sweep the team you're playing while your closest rivals are playing each other...

What exactly do you guys mean by "sleepwalk"? I ask because I infer that to mean "non-motivated" or "playing lazy".

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    This team really is something. We all knew today's game had letdown written all over it and they did sleepwalk through 5 or 6 innings but in the end, our bench guys did the major damage. 4 HRs/ 10 batters...ballgame

This has got to be deflating to the teams following us. My guess is they were counting on the Reds to drop one or two out here but they did just what good teams do. Sweep the team you're playing while your closest rivals are playing each other...
    Agreed....sleepwalking is exactly right. As opposed to other years, I had confidence they would something. Solid pitching and defense to hold the dam, hope the bats come around. Sweet victory. As I said earlier in the thread, I would hate to play the Reds.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    What exactly do you guys mean by "sleepwalk"? I ask because I infer that to mean "non-motivated" or "playing lazy".
    Pretty much. For the first few innings, it seemed like the Reds just wanted the game to be over so they could get out of Arizona. And I don't necessarily blame them, it's a long 162 game schedule. But it can be frustrating to watch as a fan.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I think the Corbin kid deserves some credit. He was fantastic. True, our approach could've been better. Made too many outs early in the count. But that guy can pitch. This is what good offenses do. They can appear asleep for several innings, then just explode.

Before the year, I said the offense would be a huge problem. I stand corrected. I think this offense is better than the 2010 and 2011 versions, even if the RS might not indicate that.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I hadn't paid attention to the schedule and didn't realize we had a day game until we were eating dinner & I checked my phone to see who was playing. It was the 8th inning when we were up just 3-2.

Sweet win, sweet sweep - on to Houston (which I hope we won't take lightly - don't think we will).
    I did the same thing.

And yes, on to Houston. I just bought my tickets to both Friday night & Sunday afternoon. With the move to the AL it looks like it might be my last time seeing my Redlegs in person for a LOOOOOOOONG while.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I look for Stubbs to get plenty of playing time in Houston this weekend. With the cavernous CF they have in the Juice Box, you need someone who can cover a lot of ground.

When the Reds get back home, you could see more of Heisey in CF, and possibly also see the Grand Experiment of Bruce in CF and Frazier going to the OF in one or two games.
    And I agree with this. I don't know if they'll do the Bruce into center thing. But Drew seems to play better in Texas. He has a pretty large following here in Minute Maid (as does Jay). But I definitely want Drew in center in Houston's big back yard.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 08-29-2012 at 07:54 PM.

I just finished watching the game off the DVR. Another day and a couple of different players come through. Hesiey and Navarro with the bigs hits. Pretty amazing season and a lot of fun too. Corbin pitched a good game but you could tell in the 6th inning the Reds were starting to size him up. I haven't read this entire thread and maybe this was mentioned but the on the D'Backs post game they said this was the earliest the Reds had won 80 games since 1976. That's pretty amazing. I'll give kudos to the D'Backs TV production too for interviewing Heisey after the game. You never see the Reds interview an opposing player in the post game.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

:
    I saw this in the thread yesterday and think its just hilarious!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Pretty much. For the first few innings, it seemed like the Reds just wanted the game to be over so they could get out of Arizona. And I don't necessarily blame them, it's a long 162 game schedule. But it can be frustrating to watch as a fan.
    I don't know. I'm sure guys struggle day to day just like I do to be "on" at my job. But still, I think it is easy to think that in baseball, where a pitcher dominating, for whatever reason, makes the other team look lethargic. So then, they all of a sudden turn it on because Frazier doubled? If the Reds phoned in all the games they are accused of by fans, they sure wouldn't be 28 games over .500.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Well I'm sure they were trying, but swinging at everything Corbin was throwing (and there were some downright ugly swings taken) didn't help. When he hit his tying HR, the count on Heisey was at least 1-1, which is just about equal to the amount of pitches that he took the whole afternoon before that. I'm not inherently against swinging at the first good one, but I think early on a lot of the guys went up to bat with a 'free and easy' attitude, which could be described as sleepwalking.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

80 wins and it ain't even September yet
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I infer it to mean "tired" both physically and mentally

Well I'm sure they were trying, but swinging at everything Corbin was throwing (and there were some downright ugly swings taken) didn't help. When he hit his tying HR, the count on Heisey was at least 1-1, which is just about equal to the amount of pitches that he took the whole afternoon before that. I'm not inherently against swinging at the first good one, but I think early on a lot of the guys went up to bat with a 'free and easy' attitude, which could be described as sleepwalking.
    I think it was a 3-1. It sounded like fearless strike throwing, someone finally ran into one.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?