Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 days in a room with 5 people, and you know you're going to die

3 days in a room with 5 people, and you know you're going to die

I imagine that scriptwriters are pounding away right now to come up with the best version of the horror that must be happening on the Oceangate submersible.

What a terrible thing. They lost contact an hour and a half after submerging. Supposed to take two hours to drift to the bottom.

Potentially 3 plus days of sitting there, knowing you're going to die, possibly in the dark.

Can you imagine?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 3 days in a room with 5 people, and you know you're going to die

Not ideal

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Not ideal
    Sub-optimum?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

5. Likes:

Bacon (06-23-2023),M2 (06-22-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I imagine that scriptwriters are pounding away right now to come up with the best version of the horror that must be happening on the Oceangate submersible.

What a terrible thing. They lost contact an hour and a half after submerging. Supposed to take two hours to drift to the bottom.

Potentially 3 plus days of sitting there, knowing you're going to die, possibly in the dark.

Can you imagine?
    Absolutely I can imagine. It happens all the time. These stories just never reach the papers or the media.

The Gulf of Alaska has been a graveyard for 1000's of ships over the years. Ships constantly go to the bottom with 100% of the crew lost. You only have 30 minutes in that water before your dead, so no boat rescue is possible. Sometimes there's time to prolong the sinking for a few hours, but in the end, everyone still dies.

If you work on a ship and there's an announcement that the boat is going to sink, the automatic doors shut in a very short time, not enough time for someone who is on their backs twisted around an engine to get untwisted and get out of that room before the doors shut. Many of the ships that sailors work on are so old, they are constantly being repaired while at sea...the norm for almost any ship, and they are ticking time-bombs and tombs. Every seaman lives with this constant fear that they have to put out of their minds while they are doing their work. A true seaman wouldn't trade life at sea for anything in the world.

Tourists have no business doing anything like this. It was a stupid idea to begin with and I hope this causes it to come to an end. The sea is not a place for amateurs.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as scriptwriters? Most of them are idiots and know nothing of navigation, sailing or the sea, or the characters of those who love the sea.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

7. Likes:

Chip R (06-22-2023)

They call me "chef"

You actually need to take and pass the sea worker’s exam every 2 years to maintain your screenwriter’s license.

9. Likes:

Bacon (06-23-2023),Kingspoint (06-24-2023)

I think it's more like a couple of hours of travel and then catastrophic hull failure.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

11. Likes:

Chip R (06-22-2023),dubc47834 (06-23-2023),Slyder (06-29-2023)

Apparently it imploded

That's about the best case scenario at this point: essentially instant death.

I hope this from Twitter is correct. It would suggest that everyone on board would have been dead before they even had the time to notice. Again, best case scenario is an obviously terrible situation:

https://twitter.com/OliLondonTV/stat...753909255?s=20

Catastrophic Implosion of a submersible explained:

When a submarine hull collapses, it moves inward at about 1,500 miles per hour - that’s 2,200 feet per second.

The time required for complete collapse is 20 / 2,200 seconds = about 1 millisecond.

A human brain responds instinctually to stimulus at about 25 milliseconds. Human rational response (sense→reason→act) is at best 150 milliseconds.

The air inside a sub has a fairly high concentration of hydrocarbon vapors.

When the hull collapses it behaves like a very large piston on a very large Diesel engine.

The air auto-ignites and an explosion follows the initial rapid implosion. Large blobs of fat (that would be humans) incinerate and are turned to ash and dust quicker than you can blink your eye.

Info Source: Dave Corley, former Nuke sub officer

Hell of a trip to see something covered in barnacles

I'm reading bad things about the company and their cost cutting, the big one being that they did not subject the vehicle to standard certifications by Lloyd's and other maritime agencies. Their reasoning was that the certifications did not exist for their advanced technology, to which any seasoned mariner would reply, that is precisely the way it's supposed to work. Advanced technology has no place in such a deadly environment until it becomes commonplace through arduous, precise and exacting tests. This is shaping up to be a tragedy of hubris.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-24-2023)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I'm reading bad things about the company and their cost cutting, the big one being that they did not subject the vehicle to standard certifications by Lloyd's and other maritime agencies. Their reasoning was that the certifications did not exist for their advanced technology, to which any seasoned mariner would reply, that is precisely the way it's supposed to work. Advanced technology has no place in such a deadly environment until it becomes commonplace through arduous, precise and exacting tests. This is shaping up to be a tragedy of hubris.
    If only there was some legendary shipwreck to remind them of that folly.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

19. Likes:

757690 (06-23-2023),Bacon (06-23-2023),dubc47834 (06-23-2023),Kingspoint (06-24-2023),M2 (06-22-2023),paintmered (06-22-2023),RedsBaron (07-13-2023),westofyou (06-22-2023)

They call me "chef"

It’s incredible how misguided this trip was, especially when you read what engineers have been saying about the physics of the expedition: https://twitter.com/benpartridge/sta...AryFqBT27mrrtg

21. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-24-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Sub-optimum?
    This was the first joke I saw on this, and it is not too soon. This episode is going the way of Jonestown and Krista McAuliffe. Bunch of super-rich types cutting every safety corner and imploding in a submersible headed down to check out the Titanic? It's practically a Monty Python sketch.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

23. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-24-2023),westofyou (06-22-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    This was the first joke I saw on this, and it is not too soon. This episode is going the way of Jonestown and Krista McAuliffe. Bunch of super-rich types cutting every safety corner and imploding in a submersible headed down to check out the Titanic? It's practically a Monty Python sketch.
    It’s just a flesh wound…

25. Likes:

M2 (06-23-2023)

Turn Off Ads?