Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Actual Dividend Growth Portfolio

Re: Actual Dividend Growth Portfolio

December is our buy month. We bought 15 shares of HASI. HASI is a company that finances green projects.

As of Dec 31 - $166.17
    One Month Ago - $151.83
    One year ago - $118.94
    Two Years Ago - $86.65
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

As of Jan 31 - $169.40
    One Month Ago - $166.17
    One Year Ago - $120.34
    Two Years Ago - $87.93

As of Feb 28th - $171.17
    One Month Ago - $169.40
    One Year Ago - $120.88
    Two Years Ago - $88.54

Catching up. In March we purchased 15 shares of PEGI, a Windmill Energy stock I like

As of March 31 - $189.01
    One Month Ago - $171.17
    One Year Ago - $127.62
    Two Years Ago - $100.44

As of April 30 - $196.96
    One Month Ago - $189.01
    One Year Ago - $128.45
    Two Years Ago - 101.10

May results.

As of May 31 - $198.07
    One Month Ago - $196.96
    One Year Ago - $128.97
    Two Years Ago - $101.66

June will be a purchase month

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I'd say a test is coming ... we are due for a pretty good dip, say 25-30% or more. This is when the dividend strategy gets a good test. Did we construct our portfolios with defensive stocks that will collectively continue to pay dividends and continue to increase them ... or have we reached for yield and relaxed our guidelines and have some less quality companies? Are we confident enough in our stocks to hold and add while others are panicking?

In this account, I have almost no doubt that the income will keep increasing,

After the vote tonight in the UK, tomorrow should be fun. Will the Dow drop 700?

That's the beauty of investing for income. If the Dow drops 700, the income will remain unchanged.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    That's the beauty of investing for income. If the Dow drops 700, the income will remain unchanged.
    A 700 point drop is what, less than a 5 percent drop? I would hope companies would not slash a dividend over that.

Now, the question I pose to you is what chance do you believe the companies you have invested in will cut their dividend over the next 20 years. If you say 100 percent the dividends will be there I would respectfully disagree and leave it at that. If you factor a risk of dividend cut into things I'd be curious as to how much you weight that risk. I mean investing is all about the numbers. What is the risk, if any?

I know I am the bad guy is this thread at times but the Dow is up (prior to tomorrow ha!) about 18-20 percent since this thread began. The Nasdaq is up over 25 percent. That doesn't include dividend reinvestment. The stock market in general is good too! Remember at anytime you can move your stock portfolio into dividend stocks at their current yield.

Edit. I was thinking this started in 2013.

Actually Dow up over 30%.

Nasdaq up over 50%.
    Last edited by kaldaniels; 06-24-2016 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    A 700 point drop is what, less than a 5 percent drop? I would hope companies would not slash a dividend over that.

Now, the question I pose to you is what chance do you believe the companies you have invested in will cut their dividend over the next 20 years. If you say 100 percent the dividends will be there I would respectfully disagree and leave it at that. If you factor a risk of dividend cut into things I'd be curious as to how much you weight that risk. I mean investing is all about the numbers. What is the risk, if any?
    Companies don't cut dividends based on the market, they cut/raise dividends based on earnings. So, you have to monitor your investments and adjust when necessary. Am I worried about any of the stocks I've selected? Not in the short term (next couple years). I manage this account and my own accounts and accounts for my Dad, and my brother and I advise my brother in law. I make adjustments. We had some money in KMI and COP and I didn't like what I was seeing and we got out, and we got out prior to their dividend cut.

I try to think long term and consider whether you are holding Kodak as digital photography came on the market. I've limited my oil exposure to just Exxon. While oil isn't going away anytime soon, little by little, solar, and wind, and electric cars lessen their market. I hold a pretty fair amount of AT&T. Pretty much they live and die by cell phones/data. Well, if Google figures out a way to deploy cheap, fast wifi everywhere, ATT has a problem. So invest for the long term and watch your investments.

Now, I do disagree with your premise that you can switch to Dividend Investing right at retirement time as be just as well off. Take AT&T for example. I bought it in 2012 with about a 5% dividend rate. Since then I've reinvested all dividends and been around for about 4 dividend increases of 2%. So my yield on cost (yield on initial investment) for my AT&T stock is 7.32%. If you decided now would be a good time to switch over... you'd be getting 4.58%.

One thing that has changed for me since I started this thread (which is based on my daughters account), is that because of my age (65) and retirement status (turns out retirement is a slope sometimes and not a cliff) is that I personally have started getting more involved with Closed End Funds that pay a higher (monthly) yield. It simply takes too many years for something that yields 3% and increasing 5% a year to catch something earning 7%.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I know I am the bad guy is this thread at times but the Dow is up (prior to tomorrow ha!) about 18-20 percent since this thread began. The Nasdaq is up over 25 percent. That doesn't include dividend reinvestment. The stock market in general is good too! Remember at anytime you can move your stock portfolio into dividend stocks at their current yield.

Edit. I was thinking this started in 2013.

Actually Dow up over 30%.

Nasdaq up over 50%.
    If anyone knew where the market was going in the future, when it would drop, when it would rise, well suffice to say they wouldn't be posting on a message board, they would probably own a MLB team.

Problem with doing what you are doing, is you are using a defined period of time, without looking much beyond that. Sure since 2013 the market is up, but it also ignores steep declines in 2007-09 as well as the dot com crash in the early 00's. But had you invested in 1980 or 1985 or 1990 you would be doing just fine (looking at the Dow average.)

What Jax is doing has a little more risk, but most companies who pay a steady, mature, dividend are safe companies with good balance sheets. What often gets brought up are the stocks that have crashed, not the ones that have been successful. Back in 2010 I bought AEP around $35 a share, and pretty much have left it alone, I will pick up a little more if something drastic happens in a given day. Right now if you bought AEP you would be looking at a 3.5% yield, not the roughly 6.5% I am getting on my original investment. During the time I have held the stock it has gone from a .41 to .56 dividend. There are risks, but I think what makes successful strategies is to pick a strategy and stick to it. Trying to predict when a market will sell off is a fools errand.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    If anyone knew where the market was going in the future, when it would drop, when it would rise, well suffice to say they wouldn't be posting on a message board, they would probably own a MLB team.

Problem with doing what you are doing, is you are using a defined period of time, without looking much beyond that. Sure since 2013 the market is up, but it also ignores steep declines in 2007-09 as well as the dot com crash in the early 00's. But had you invested in 1980 or 1985 or 1990 you would be doing just fine (looking at the Dow average.)

What Jax is doing has a little more risk, but most companies who pay a steady, mature, dividend are safe companies with good balance sheets. What often gets brought up are the stocks that have crashed, not the ones that have been successful. Back in 2010 I bought AEP around $35 a share, and pretty much have left it alone, I will pick up a little more if something drastic happens in a given day. Right now if you bought AEP you would be looking at a 3.5% yield, not the roughly 6.5% I am getting on my original investment. During the time I have held the stock it has gone from a .41 to .56 dividend. There are risks, but I think what makes successful strategies is to pick a strategy and stick to it. Trying to predict when a market will sell off is a fools errand.
    That's my whole thing. What Jax is doing isn't crazy. But it is risky. But to hear him talk there is little to no risk. I am totally cool with investing in a smallish basket of dividend stocks, but it is riskier than a broad market ETF in my point of view. I own both types of items so I'm not anti-dividend stocks...they have done very well. I even own a dividend stock ETF...SDOG...which has performed nicely.

I do think my type of investing is less risky. And our measuring sticks are different. I am investing for an ever-increasing income. Method: Only invest in solid companies that pay a nice yield, don't buy intending to sell them, only sell them if the fundamentals of the dividends might change. Don't time the market. Reinvest all your dividends while in accumulation mode, and only as little (75%?) of what you need when in distribution mode.

As long as I keep increasing my income stream overall, I'm happy. Since I do not intend to sell, my only real decision when I buy is "am i satisfied with the income stream I just purchased". A person buying stocks/funds with the hope that they will increase in value has to hope that he purchased at the right price, and that he can sell at the right price, because he has to depend on the total being high when he needs to cannibalize his assets for income.

A 20% decline in prices is bad for an asset accumulator, but although not pleasant for an income investor, has no real effect. As an income investor I would have no problem with stocks staying flat forever. Along these lines I've started dabbling in preferred shares and my first toe-tap into bonds.

But that was why I started this thread. It's a "show-me" thread. And, although it's generally been a bull market along the way, the income generated by this method has done exactly what I said it would do, which is to steadily increase.

Turn Off Ads?