Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast

Thread: 9/22/12- Reds vs. Dodgers, "Let's Clinch this Thing Again!!!"

Re: 9/22/12- Reds vs. Dodgers, "Let's Clinch this Thing Again!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    That's completely and utterly mistaken and I say that from having spent 10 years in internships, broadcasting school and working in the media itself for radio/television/print.

Most camera crews, to set up for a live feed, often need a half hour or more to set up for a multi-camera feed. Sometimes I've seen it take an hour or two. For a single-camera, on-location, it can be done rather abruptly. But if we're talking about having several cameras in a live event, you're talking half hour if you want it done thoroughly.

When you're not allowed to get set up until after a broadcast is finished, you leave yourself little time for testing the feeds and making sure everything is working properly.

The point you're missing here is that they didn't have 24 hours to set up. They weren't allowed to get their cameras in there until after the previous crew left. That is all the difference in the world.
    They just said it was techincial difficulites. I can understand that, but I'm not buying for a second that a delay of that length was because it takes an 11th level supermage and countless archane occult preparations to switchover to a live feed. It happened because somewhere along the line, somebody screwed da pooch.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Well unfortunately no postgame show:

FOX Sports Ohio‏@FOXSportsOH

Reds fans, we sincerely apologize for waiting 2 C Reds celebration. Intended to be live but transmission issues out of Cincy. No show 2nite.

They are actully going to air the postgame footage Monday at 8 PM.

This is all Bob Boone's fault.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    They just said it was techincial difficulites. I can understand that, but I'm not buying for a second that a delay of that length was because it takes an 11th level supermage and countless archane occult preparations to switchover to a live feed. It happened because somewhere along the line, somebody screwed da pooch.
    It sometimes takes 4-5 hours to get fully set up for a press conference, let alone a multiple camera production.

Now, don't get me wrong, it sometimes only takes that long because they're very thorough and take their time in setting up. It can be done much quicker if necessary. But usually crews are thoroughly able to troubleshoot when they set up early in the day. In this case, they had to get set up and hope there were no glitches. Unfortunately, there were glitches.

If they were allowed in Saturday morning or early afternoon, then they would have been able to get set up, troubleshoot and all that. Then it would be as simple as zapping the broadcast to the truck and then out to the satellites. But because they could not set up until after the game was over, they had to get everything perfect on the first try and hope there were not wires crossed. That's not as easy as people assume.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    This is all Bob Boone's fault.
    It very well could be. He was there tonight scouting for the Nats. He certainly needs an alibi.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Fox Sports National needs to step up and look at their policies. FSOH employees and broadcasters are certainly heartbroken with their failed effort. Sounds like the FSN handcuffs were just too much to overcome.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

It sometimes takes 4-5 hours to get fully set up for a press conference, let alone a multiple camera production.

Now, don't get me wrong, it sometimes only takes that long because they're very thorough and take their time in setting up. It can be done much quicker if necessary. But usually crews are thoroughly able to troubleshoot when they set up early in the day. In this case, they had to get set up and hope there were no glitches. Unfortunately, there were glitches.

If they were allowed in Saturday morning or early afternoon, then they would have been able to get set up, troubleshoot and all that. Then it would be as simple as zapping the broadcast to the truck and then out to the satellites. But because they could not set up until after the game was over, they had to get everything perfect on the first try and hope there were not wires crossed. That's not as easy as people assume.
    It actually is easier than poeple assume. Have a cameraman ready with a camera, hook it up to a portable transmitter, flip a switch and you're live. It really doesn't take that long to get a camera rolling and a live feed going. I know, I did it many times as a camera operator for my college back in the 80's. I imagine it's even easier now. Local TV crews do it in a matter of minutes all the time, in much more difficult situations than this one, all at the spur of the moment. The MLB Network had a feed up immediately.

FSO had plenty of time to plan out how to set this up. This happened on their home turf, they could have done trial runs days ago, and spent the game looking over how they should set up once the game is over. On something this rare and important, you run through it ahead of time until you have it perfect. It's not like this was a surprise to them. With the technology today, and the money FSO makes on the Reds, there really is no excuse for this screw up.
    Last edited by 757690; 09-22-2012 at 11:24 PM.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It actually is easier than poeple assume. Have a cameraman ready with a camera, hook it up to a portable transmitter, flip a switch and you're live. It really doesn't take that long to get a camera rolling and a live feed going. I know, I did it many times as a camera operator for my college back in the 80's. I imagine it's even easier now. Local TV crews do it in a matter of minutes all the time, in much more difficult situations than this one, all at the spur of the moment. The MLB Network had a feed up immediately.

FSO had plenty of time to plan out how to set this up. This happened on their home turf, they could have done trial runs days ago, and spent the game looking over how they should set up once the game is over. On something this rare and important, you run through it ahead of time until you have it perfect. It's not like this was a surprise to them. With the technology today, and the money FSO makes on the Reds, there really is no excuse for this screw up.
    Impromptu Press conferences happen all the time. How hard is it to set up one camera and a microphone with a reporter? A crackerjack news outfit can do that.

It actually is easier than poeple assume. Have a cameraman ready with a camera, hook it up to a portable transmitter, flip a switch and you're live. It really doesn't take that long to get a camera rolling and a live feed going. I know, I did it many times as a camera operator for my college back in the 80's. I imagine it's even easier now.
    I also did some on camera reporting in my college days (early 90's) it wasn't rocket science, pretty simple really. The audio board gave me more trouble than anything else. I did on camera, camera operation, sound board, producing and dj work in college. It was a lot of fun.

It is a real shame they didn't have their crap together tonight. I hope I can get some cell phone video in the next few days!
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Impromptu Press conferences happen all the time. How hard is it to set up one camera and a microphone with a reporter? A crackerjack news outfit can do that.
    Very few press conferences are actually impromptu. Most of them give the media at least an hour or two advance notice to get set up. Credentialed media is usually alerted by email now in advance of one being scheduled.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

MLB Network was allowed to have crews set up in advance. They are given that ability contractually. They were able to get hooked up and test before the game. Single-camera feeds, especially ones you're referring to in situations of on-location reporting are pretty simple. But I've never seen any setup on a production crew as simple as you're describing.

MLB Network was allowed to have crews set up in advance. They are given that ability contractually. They were able to get hooked up and test before the game. Single-camera feeds, especially ones you're referring to in situations of on-location reporting are pretty simple. But I've never seen any setup on a production crew as simple as you're describing.
    The fact that they didn't have a backup plan in case this happened is the issue. Every network doing a live feed has technical issues, and they deal with them on the spot, in seconds, all the time.

No matter how complex the set up was, all they needed was a guy with a camera hooked up to a backup transmitter in case the bigger set up failed. Every professional network I can think of would been able to handle this, as said before, every one except one.

The fact that they didn't have a backup plan in case this happened is the issue. Every network doing a live feed has technical issues, and they deal with them on the spot, in seconds, all the time.

No matter how complex the set up was, all they needed was a guy with a camera hooked up to a backup transmitter in case the bigger set up failed. Every professional network I can think of would been able to handle this, as said before, every one except one.
    I think this has to do with they did not secure any uplink satellite feed to transmit the feed back to Fox Sports Ohio/Cincinnati. This was a very busy day in live sports. Uplink transmission have to be leased ahead of time. Channel 9 has an advantage because all they have to do is transmit it signal from the truck via microwave back to the station for live airing.

I don't think it had to do with setting anything up on the ground. It was the uplink back to Fox Sports Ohio. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    I think this has to do with they did not secure any uplink satellite feed to transmit the feed back to Fox Sports Ohio/Cincinnati. This was a very busy day in live sports. Uplink transmission have to be leased ahead of time. Channel 9 has an advantage because all they have to do is transmit it signal from the truck via microwave back to the station for live airing.

I don't think it had to do with setting anything up on the ground. It was the uplink back to Fox Sports Ohio. IMO.
    Sounds like a good explanation.

Anyway, who cares, the Reds won the NL Central!

Turn Off Ads?