Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Why Two Forums?

Why Two Forums?

Why have the Old Red Guard be "private" and for only "good" posters when you get threads such as "This is Not Our Year". Or "Talk Me Back from The Ledge".

The posting superiority found around here is incredibly disheartening.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why Two Forums?

Admittedly basic question from someone who's been posting for less than a week and tries hard to answer my own questions with research on RZ first.

How come some threads (like the "I'm on the verge of tears right now....") thread just started get "closed." It it because some direct challenges at other posters ensued? Or something else?
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    Why have the Old Red Guard be "private" and for only "good" posters when you get threads such as "This is Not Our Year". Or "Talk Me Back from The Ledge".

The posting superiority found around here is incredibly disheartening.
    I'm not the best person to answer this. I've only been posting here for a few days and learning about Redszone for a few months. But, what the heck, I'll take a crack.

Ensuring substantive and civil discussion on a public internet forum is exceedingly difficult to do. I know this because I actually run a listserv that is closed (not open to the public; just members of a specific org). To ensure substance and civility on the one I run, we developed very specific and clearly written rules, importantly along with phased enforcement mechanisms. Works for us but we only have a few hundred members versus the few thousand here. Other sites do pretty well to ensure good discourse simply with active moderation. But that can require more resources than free sites with limited ad revenue can muster. Lots of other sites never get big traffic because the content on them sucks.

RedsZone uses an approach (two different posting communities with one by invitation only) that I haven't seen too much before.

But I wouldn't knock it because it seems to work and because I don't have enough experience with it yet.

Will say whomever is behind RZ deserves a lot of credit for creating a free-to-members forum that seems informed, substantive and civil whether Old Guard or Sun Deck. And, getting to 4000 or so members is not an easy thing to do.

I've been spending some time on Old Red Guard also. Clearly there's a ton of very deep expertise on all things Reds there. I'm glad to see that many on Sundeck have that kind of knowledge and passion also.

At the end of the day for me, I'll contribute here (Sun Deck) because the discussion is civil and informative. So far, it absolutely has been. If at some point the powers that be invite me to post on some other forum, that's great. If not, fine as well.

Life's too short to get too up in arms about something like this. Try to put yourself in the shoes of a site owner who's trying to build the best, most substantive, most productive online community for a specific shared interest group. It's really, really tough to do. And, seems like RZ has done it. And, extra bonus, for discussion on my favorite team! Love that.

For what it's worth. And, full disclosure, I don't even know who's behind this site so definitely no hidden agenda or connection to that person or persons.
    Last edited by 1940757690; 10-10-2012 at 07:40 PM.
    Reds & Nats, 2013 LCS. Take2 (9/13) Reds but no Nats

This has already been debated ad naseum and GIK and I have already stated there will be an announcement on the matter in the not too distant future.

Given that, I don't see any new information that could come about from this thread, so besides that reason, I'm closing it since many others on the subject already exist.

Turn Off Ads?