Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Cringe-Worthy Music

Re: Cringe-Worthy Music

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    If I had a daughter, I'd rather have her listen to Taylor Swift than listen to Katy Perry.
    What about a son?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Oh, great. When it comes to Taylor Swift, the Radiohead hater has my back. Maybe I should reconsider.

But seriously, Taylor Swift is a fantastic pop artist. You might not like the style, but in her style, she's amazing regardless of how many albums she sells.
    I don't really care what style she is, nothing about Taylor Swift is amazing, lol.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Taylor Swift is a singer-songwriter of pop-music. Although she got her start on country radio, she is a pop artist. Her songs are better than that of her contemporaries (Katie Perry, Lady Gaga, Ke$ha). They are catchy and fun. Will she ever be confused with Radiohead or John Prine or Neil Young...no, but I prefer her to Karen Carpenter, Madonna, Bread and a thousand other pop artists. My daughter loves Taylor Swift, and I am OK with that. I would prefer her to love classic rock, but Taylor Swift will have to do.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Congrats to Universal Music for having a good marketing division and to whoever developed her image - they did a great job?

Taylor Swift herself? Not so much.
    Now you are arguing she sells music because of her marketing. Please.

Well gosh, I guess if Pavement had the Beatles marketing, they'd sell as much.

It's tough to argue with the record store guy. Only he knows what is real.

You worked at Camelot in Eastgate Mall I think. You had the orange hair and the Husker Du t-shirt. Huey Lewis was garbage but man, Frozen Ghost rocked. I know you.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    What about a son?
    Well, I can't really play the speculative stereotype card. Who knows? The son may prefer bubble gum pop. The daughter may prefer Rock.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Now you are arguing she sells music because of her marketing. Please.

Well gosh, I guess if Pavement had the Beatles marketing, they'd sell as much.

It's tough to argue with the record store guy. Only he knows what is real.

You worked at Camelot in Eastgate Mall I think. You had the orange hair and the Husker Du t-shirt. Huey Lewis was garbage but man, Frozen Ghost rocked. I know you.
    Are you serious!

Yeah, Taylor Swift sells so many records because she's THAT much better than every other artist. It's not because she's appealing to teenage girls, because I can't even order a Papa Johns pizza without her face plastered on the box, because you generally can't get away from her at all.

It's because she's the BEST artist of this generation. It's gotta be right?

Are you serious!

Yeah, Taylor Swift sells so many records because she's THAT much better than every other artist. It's not because she's appealing to teenage girls, because I can't even order a Papa Johns pizza without her face plastered on the box, because you generally can't get away from her at all.

People buy stuff because they like it.

And people really, really, like Taylor Swift.

People buy stuff because they like it.
    That statement pretty conveniently avoids all the evidence I just provided to the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    Taylor Swift is a singer-songwriter of pop-music. Although she got her start on country radio, she is a pop artist. Her songs are better than that of her contemporaries (Katie Perry, Lady Gaga, Ke$ha). They are catchy and fun. Will she ever be confused with Radiohead or John Prine or Neil Young...no, but I prefer her to Karen Carpenter, Madonna, Bread and a thousand other pop artists. My daughter loves Taylor Swift, and I am OK with that. I would prefer her to love classic rock, but Taylor Swift will have to do.
    I prefer the sound of nails on a chalkboard to the Carpenters or Bread.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Are you serious!

A million without sales tricks: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ricks-20121031

Rolling stone gave her last album four stars. I dunno...do they do that because of the pizza box?

It's neat to be the record store guy- hey, we've all done it. But to dismiss someone as crap when they are doing something that nobody else has done...and then to say it's only because her picture is on a pizza box. Was Eminem on a pizza box? Adele?
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 10-31-2012 at 03:44 PM.

And people really, really, like Taylor Swift.
    They also really, really can't ever forget who Taylor Swift is, even if they want to.

I just so happen to think that what CDs my friend's little sisters are buying is a pretty poor barometer of quality.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ricks-20121031

Rolling stone gave her last album four stars. I dunno...do they do that becuase of the pizza box?
    Who cares what Rolling Stone thinks?

A Frozen Ghost reference..I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    A Frozen Ghost reference..I love it.
    If we can just work Space Ghost into the conversation my life will be complete.

Just for the record, get it, I would rather listen to Taylor Swift than Pavement any day.

Who cares what Rolling Stone thinks?
    The point is she is a critical as well as commercial success.

Turn Off Ads?