Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The Autograph Thread

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: The Autograph Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Video proof doesn't do much for me. Sure, you can prove you had him sign something, but I can't tell if it was the thing you are now trying to sell to me or just something just like it.
    Great point- i have seen video and photo proof that is exact and it is awesome.
    And i have seen some that is useless.

The thing with autographs is to close your ears to the story, and simply look at the signature. Get opinions. Most forgeries are detectable.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Here are two madonna's on ebay right now- the first one is an authentic "Love Madonna." Not as perfect as I've seen it, but pretty close.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Madonna-AUTH...item2329619bcd

Now click on the one below and see where she started to sign "Love" and then just rushed the rest. I would say this is probably authentic, but gosh, it's just a scibble that anyone could do. So for me, I want the nicer example because not only does it look better, it's certainly tougher to forge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Madonna-TOP-...item2329619f92

It's pretty sad that I've seen enough of her autographs to say that the second one is real, but the more I look at it, the more I say it's genuine. The slant is right, the way she starts the L and the tail at the end of the a....
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 12-12-2013 at 08:31 PM.

So does anyone have an autograph of '80s hair metal band Autograph?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

5. Likes:

Dom Heffner (12-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Video proof doesn't do much for me. Sure, you can prove you had him sign something, but I can't tell if it was the thing you are now trying to sell to me or just something just like it.
    I'm generally with you, though I know this person in particular is legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    With signatures you just want a nicer example. It matters for a couple reasons. One, if it's perfect it's just going to be more sought after. More importantly the better examples are less likely to be forged- Madonna is one where if she gives you the perfect "Love Madonna" written as one word so the whole word Love also looks likea n M- I mean, you can't fake that no matter how good you are. But if she scribbles, and man can she give out some stinkers, anybody can write that and the authenticity is much tougher to establish. Al Pacino gives out crap, and I'd challenge anyone to authenticate his stuff. One company had a "private signing" and PSA was there to give the heralded "ITP" COA (in the presence of) and he signed some beauties. Go to ebay, type in "Pacino ITP" and there are some incredible oversize photos with perfect examples of his signature. The only problem is he signed so many and he signs well anyway that it's tough to pay $400 for that.

Springsteen is anywhere from $500 to $1500, just depends on what the signature is on. There are a few on ebay right now for even more than that.
    He is a really good signer, but the demand is really high. You are lucky to have access to him- i have one, I really really want more.

As for the items- guitars are worth more because they are harder to get signed, plus the guitar holds value. I've never understood the baseball thing. I tend to go for heavier stock posters or prints. Big is better and if you have a quality item you are more likely to get more money if you sell.
    Ha. I can vouch on Pacino. I have several and most of them are terrible. I think it's his way of giving the finger to those he thinks are selling his stuff. BUT, I do have 1 excellent one which was a program to his play. Even a dealer who was nearby at the time was raving about how good it was.

After looking at the ITPs, I think the one he signed for me looks even better than those! Granted, it's not on a 11x14, but it looks like those, but slightly better.

The thing with Springsteen is that I could easily ask for more, but I just don't. I got involved with the charity long before I knew he was involved. I don't know, I feel a little dirty asking, which is why I've only done it a few times when I easily could have asked a couple dozen times. I'm content with having a few.

Here are two madonna's on ebay right now- the first one is an authentic "Love Madonna." Not as perfect as I've seen it, but pretty close.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Madonna-AUTH...item2329619bcd

Now click on the one below and see where she started to sign "Love" and then just rushed the rest. I would say this is probably authentic, but gosh, it's just a scibble that anyone could do. So for me, I want the nicer example because not only does it look better, it's certainly tougher to forge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Madonna-TOP-...item2329619f92

It's pretty sad that I've seen enough of her autographs to say that the second one is real, but the more I look at it, the more I say it's genuine. The slant is right, the way she starts the L and the tail at the end of the a....
    Great post. I'm sure the first one is worth more, because it's a better autograph. But I would think it would also be worth more because it contains more of her handwriting? I'm no expert, but I would think the more handwriting the better.

That's one of the difficult things about getting autographs. There are usually crowds and celebrities try to sign for as many people as possible, which often means rushing. I fully believe that some celebrities don't like or are paranoid about people selling their autographs as well and thus some purposely (like a Pacino) will give a scribble. You know who I found though really took their time when signing? More so than anyone I had ever seen? Matthew Broderick. Ridiculously good signer.

Some people go to crazy lengths to get autographs. Someone was telling me how they find out which hotel they're staying at. I've seen some dealers get in a car and follow the person to their hotel for autographs. It's stuff for me that just borders on crazy and insane. I don't think I could do that, no matter who it was.

One of the other things I want to do is I've got a couple of Sting autographs. You wouldn't believe how easy they were to get too. Maybe the easiest autographs I've ever gotten, no exaggeration. I don't think he by himself is that valuable, but I got his autographs on Police stuff. I'd love to somehow get Stewart and Andy. I think Stewart probably is easier to get than Andy, but I could be wrong on that. I actually tried contacting him on facebook and I didn't get a reply.

Here's an authentic Prince...only $2900..

http://signedsealeddel.com/pop.php?f...nce-parade.jpg

I would love to own this- a signed piece of paper by the first band Jimmy Page ever played in- Mickey Finn and the Bluemen, for whom he played harmonica.

http://signedsealeddel.com/pop.php?f...bluemen-1a.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Great post. I'm sure the first one is worth more, because it's a better autograph. But I would think it would also be worth more because it contains more of her handwriting? I'm no expert, but I would think the more handwriting the better.

That's one of the difficult things about getting autographs. There are usually crowds and celebrities try to sign for as many people as possible, which often means rushing. I fully believe that some celebrities don't like or are paranoid about people selling their autographs as well and thus some purposely (like a Pacino) will give a scribble. You know who I found though really took their time when signing? More so than anyone I had ever seen? Matthew Broderick. Ridiculously good signer.

Some people go to crazy lengths to get autographs. Someone was telling me how they find out which hotel they're staying at. I've seen some dealers get in a car and follow the person to their hotel for autographs. It's stuff for me that just borders on crazy and insane. I don't think I could do that, no matter who it was.

One of the other things I want to do is I've got a couple of Sting autographs. You wouldn't believe how easy they were to get too. Maybe the easiest autographs I've ever gotten, no exaggeration. I don't think he by himself is that valuable, but I got his autographs on Police stuff. I'd love to somehow get Stewart and Andy. I think Stewart probably is easier to get than Andy, but I could be wrong on that. I actually tried contacting him on facebook and I didn't get a reply.
    What Alfie would do is pay cash to bellhops, waiters, etc. to tip him off when famous people would be at their establishment. It was great because he wouldn't have to fight all the other collectors at a movie premiere.

Speaking of going to great lengths. He once found out that Elizabeth Taylor was going to rent out Disney for her birthday party. So, he bought tickets the day before and then slept in bushes so he could be there the next day to try for an autograph.

He pulls the overnight part off, only to be kicked out when trying to order a soft pretzel. The giveaway? He asked how much they were. Apparently guests of Miss Taylor don't pay for anything lol....

Here's an authentic Prince...only $2900..

http://signedsealeddel.com/pop.php?f...nce-parade.jpg
    Wouldn't that potentially be worth it given how few exist? I'd imagine there are more Dylan's out there than Prince's?

What Alfie would do is pay cash to bellhops, waiters, etc. to tip him off when famous people would be at their establishment. It was great because he wouldn't have to fight all the other collectors at a movie premiere.

Speaking of going to great lengths. He once found out that Elizabeth Taylor was going to rent out Disney for her birthday party. So, he bought tickets the day before and then slept in bushes so he could be there the next day to try for an autograph.

He pulls the overnight part off, only to be kicked out when trying to order a soft pretzel. The giveaway? He asked how much they were. Apparently guests of Miss Taylor don't pay for anything lol....
    That's a hilarious story. Was Elizabeth Taylor a hard get?

Wouldn't that potentially be worth it given how few exist? I'd imagine there are more Dylan's out there than Prince's?
    Oh yes, there are more Dylan's out there....by far. Dylan is hard but not impossible. He can be worn down- from what I understand is you usually get a pretty polite no from him and then it's up to luck from there.

Is Prince worth it? It probably is. Prince is no Dylan, but the scarcity factor and his fans are pretty die hard, so maybe not a bad buy. I wouldn't do it, personally, just because I'd rather put that money towards someone else, but for a fan, I would totally get how someone would pay it and though it may take you ahiwle to get out from it, you most likely could. Will it appreciate? Gosh, no way to know....

That's a hilarious story. Was Elizabeth Taylor a hard get?
    She was a pretty good signer if you could get to her, coupled with the value of an aging Hollywood legend made her a pretty good target.

For an 11x14 photo Alfie was getting $1500 and up back in the 1990s...

You could probably get it cheaper today or at least in that price range...prices for some of the Hollywood legends aren't really going up....

Oh yes, there are more Dylan's out there....by far. Dylan is hard but not impossible. He can be worn down- from what I understand is you usually get a pretty polite no from him and then it's up to luck from there.

Is Prince worth it? It probably is. Prince is no Dylan, but the scarcity factor and his fans are pretty die hard, so maybe not a bad buy. I wouldn't do it, personally, just because I'd rather put that money towards someone else, but for a fan, I would totally get how someone would pay it and though it may take you ahiwle to get out from it, you most likely could. Will it appreciate? Gosh, no way to know....
    Speaking of hard core Dylan fans.

True story.

A good friend of mine is what you would call a Dylanologist where he has seen Bob in concert somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 times. He is kind of like how alot of us are with baseball and the Reds when it comes to Bob. Anyway at one show my friend was in the front row and Bob spit on the stage. My friend grabbed a kleenex, reached on the stage and wiped the spit up with the kleenex. To this day that kleenex with Bobs spit hangs proudly on his wall.

I know this is a thread about autograph collectors and not spit collectors but I thought people would find it interesting.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

That is absolutely awesome, George.

Turn Off Ads?