Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Autograph Thread

Re: The Autograph Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    His signature is a dangerous investment....lots of fakes. If yours is real, great for you.
    Dimaggio is to.

I guess his sister signed his name alot.

I kinda think mine is fake.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Dimaggio is to.

I guess his sister signed his name alot.

I kinda think mine is fake.
    Ruth, Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods.

All tough investments due to limited supply high demand.

I have golf pro relatives who will personally testify Tiger Woods doesn't sign.

Other terrible signers?

Would you believe Will Ferrell?

Hardest one in Hollywood- it's so rare that if you got one, nobody would believe it's real.

Schnickelfritz

Tim Conway
    Bill Cosby
    Jerry Springer (from back when he was an anchor at WLWT-TV)
    William Gibson (author of "Neuromancer")
    Clive Barker
    Kevin Smith
    Most of the cast of MST3k (post-Comedy Central)
    A bunch of Doctor Who autographs
    Phil Esposito
    Boomer Esiason
    Anthony Munoz
    Ron Harper
    Most every Red that was at Redsfest 2008
    Pete Rose
    Johnny Bench

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    His signature is a dangerous investment....lots of fakes. If yours is real, great for you.
    He was present in the ballpark before the game signing autographs at the table where I picked up the picture. I was stupid to think it was a stamp, I guess, but I was probably about eleven or twelve at the time. I've never checked on value or anything; I kind of assumed that he signed so much, doing minor league tours and the likes, that it was pretty common. I'll have to check it out.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    He was present in the ballpark before the game signing autographs at the table where I picked up the picture. I was stupid to think it was a stamp, I guess, but I was probably about eleven or twelve at the time. I've never checked on value or anything; I kind of assumed that he signed so much, doing minor league tours and the likes, that it was pretty common. I'll have to check it out.
    I love stories like this.

One of my neighbors was talking today about autographs and he said he had only one: Neil Armstrong.

Checked it out and it's probably worth 12 grand.

He has one. And it's a freaking doozy.

I've been collecting for years, I have over a hundred and they are all pretty good names. Not one anywhere near that kind of value.

Neil Armstrong hasn't signed autographs in 30 years and he just passed away, which means the market is pretty limited.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 11-21-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    The fact he was at a ballpark signing for people is terrific.

Someone like, say, Mick Jagger knows his autograph is an $800 value- so he now just refuses to sign and basically sells his signature on prints on the Stones website.

They had a signing of 1000 posters which sell for 2 grand a set.

That's 2 million in signature sales. Unreal.

And if you buy one you'll probably make out on the deal eventually.

My father's cousin sold peanuts at Yankee Stadium in the 50s. He and another guy won a contest and won an autographed ball. He gave it to my father as a gift. For years we couldn't figure out why all these names were on the same ball. Speaker. DiMaggio. HR Baker. Foxx. Gomez. Hartnett. Waner. Mize. Frisch. I think roughly 20 HoFs.

Years go by and my father gets me a baseball book called Every Pitcher has a Story, or something to that effect. In there is a story and a letter from Nixon in 1955 to the Yankees thanking them for the invitation to Yankee Stadium hall of fame day. It named a ton of the guys who were on the ball and lined up with the explanation my father was given as to the origin of the ball. Pretty random. More random was that the letter was recently auctioned off. We were out bid but I thought it would have been great to pair with the ball.

The most upsetting part was two of the names on the letter who did not sign the ball. Ty Cobb and Cy Young. But we have most of the other names.

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleN...16#75147514078

I have a Manute Bol. Only autograph I ever got. Saw him in a hotel lobby and I was awestruck.

My dad got me a Yaz autograph at the 88 All Star game. But, I would never seek one. My cousin pitched I the majors and when he first got called up some of my uncles asked for an autograph. It was one of the most awkward things I can ever remember. I felt really bad for him.

I avoid awkward situations whenever possible (which is also why I can't watch George Costanza, almost any of Ben Stiller's work, or Curb, even though I know most if that stuff is funny).
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I have two that are still intact, Phil Keaggy and Joe Nuxhall.
    My older brother snuck me into a bar circa 1968 up at Kent State twice (I was like... 16). Once we saw the James Gang and the other time was Glass Harp.

I thought Phil Keaggy was the greatest guitar player I'd ever seen.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    My older brother snuck me into a bar circa 1968 up at Kent State twice (I was like... 16). Once we saw the James Gang and the other time was Glass Harp.

I thought Phil Keaggy was the greatest guitar player I'd ever seen.
    I've seen him live 5 times, all in the 90s. One of those shows was at a church and I had a friend who attended that church. We hung around shooting the bull with him for about 45 minutes afterwards. He signed the liner for one of his CDs I had. The music's now on my iPod, but I haven't lost the CD or the case. The guy is phenomenal, acoustic or electric and his voice reminds me a lot of McCartney.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

I would never sell any of the autographs because they only have sentimental value to me. When I see a celebrity, I try to get a picture instead because it means more to me. For example the fantastic Charlie Sheen picture to me left where he looks just awful.

I have also been on a pretty big luck streak in regards to NHL players the last year. Got my picture with kris Draper, Shea Weber, Jonathan Toews, Jeremy Roenick, the Blackawks GM, Calgary Flames GM, and various other less known Blackhawk players.

Does anyone NOT have a Pete Rose autograph?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Does anyone NOT have a Pete Rose autograph?
    Bud Harrelson?

17. Likes:

Red in Chicago (12-11-2013)

Turn Off Ads?