Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The Autograph Thread

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: The Autograph Thread

Great post fop.

Will Ferrell is the toughhest signature in Hollywood. Not impossible, but tough. And he can be a real jerk- like, berating to you. I'm sure he has signed his share and in fact he used to be pretty good. But he's been ranked the worst one by autograph Magazine for five or six years running. I've heard it from too many people....

Eminem many be tough in person but his Bravado website normally has signed lithographs there. I have one of those. For $250, it's a pretty good investment.

The Floyd guys are tough- they are well aware of their value.

Some of my better ones:

Michael Jackson
    Marlon Brando
    Paul McCartney
    Mick Jagger times four along with one Stones piece
    David Bowie
    Madonna times six or seven...
    REM complete with Bill Berry

My wish list is pretty much Bob Dylan.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yea Will!!

I forgot to add three Jimmy Page's and one Robert Plant.

God I love that band.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Great post fop.

Will Ferrell is the toughhest signature in Hollywood. Not impossible, but tough. And he can be a real jerk- like, berating to you. I'm sure he has signed his share and in fact he used to be pretty good. But he's been ranked the worst one by autograph Magazine for five or six years running. I've heard it from too many people....

Eminem many be tough in person but his Bravado website normally has signed lithographs there. I have one of those. For $250, it's a pretty good investment.

The Floyd guys are tough- they are well aware of their value.

Some of my better ones:

Michael Jackson
    Marlon Brando
    Paul McCartney
    Mick Jagger times four along with one Stones piece
    David Bowie
    Madonna times six or seven...
    REM complete with Bill Berry

My wish list is pretty much Bob Dylan.
    Diz-amn! 6 or 7 Madonna? and 4 Jaggers? That's a great collection. Who else do you have?

I'm lucky to be in NYC and unlike LA, it's harder for people to hide because there aren't gates and tons of secret entrances/exits. If you're willing to wait outside for a bit, you can land people. Many in a day with all the people who live here and all of the press events and tapings. I don't get too crazy with it, just whenever I can do it I do. The problem is, you're often battling dealers who are big and aggressive for space and celebrities just won't sign for everyone. My intentions are different, since I don't collect to sell, I more collect for fun. Though I certainly hope some day that the collection is worth something.

And speaking of NYC, I think Will Ferrell does sign a lot in NYC because it's harder to run! I might try for him upcoming. He's currently doing a lot of press here. I'm almost curious to try just to see if I can land one!

Good advice on Eminem, although there isn't currently anything for sale in his store.

Roger Waters is generally pretty good about signing. He signed for at least 15 people but he just skipped over me, which I felt was intentional, but maybe it wasn't.

Bob Dylan would be an amazing get. Heard he doesn't sign at all, but I don't know for sure. Does he sign anything anymore?

My dream signing would be Prince. He outright doesn't sign at all. I think he may have briefly in the 90s, but he hasn't signed in years as I understand.

I forgot to add three Jimmy Page's and one Robert Plant.

God I love that band.
    Wow, incredible. Do you have them together? Because apparently if you do, you're talking big money. And Page is supposedly the harder of the 2 to get.

Here is a surprise...apparently JK Rowling is a really hard one to get. I had no idea until recently. The worst part is, I think I could've easily gotten her earlier this year, but I had no idea!

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Wow, incredible. Do you have them together? Because apparently if you do, you're talking big money. And Page is supposedly the harder of the 2 to get.

Here is a surprise...apparently JK Rowling is a really hard one to get. I had no idea until recently. The worst part is, I think I could've easily gotten her earlier this year, but I had no idea!
    No the Zeppelin stuff is on separate pieces. i invested in three of the Jimmy Page art prints from his site when they were much cheaper than they are now and one Robert Plant art print- the artist was a british soccer player, maybe. There are a few on ebay right now where both Plant and Page have signed with COAs from Roger Epperson that Im tempted to buy but Im happy with what I have.

Be patient with Eminem- he has had a few of those lithographs...they lasted about a year, and there were 25 left right before Thanksgiving. One will pop up on ebay if you're interested.

Madonna- that's a funny story. Not sure if youve ever heard of Alfie Pettit, but that guy could get her like nobody's business. He got turned down a ton but had a lot of success. Anyway, I was obsessed with madonna 18 years ago and got a bunch from him. Im going to sell two or three because its silly to have that many and with the COAs from alfie I should get a good price. They would pass PSA with flying colors- just terrific examples.

As for others, gosh-

Winona Ryder, Richard Gere, Sean penn, Nicholson, Sean connery...I spent too much money back in the 90s...lots more.

I have Axl and Slash, Elton John twice, like you I have Taylor Swift (I have two of the Peter Max prints from her website Im getting ready to put up on ebay).

I want to slim down my collection- going to sell 20-30 pieces and then use the money to buy a good Bob Dylan.

Rowling is TOUGH.

Autographs are weird- it's about timing, and the celebrities view of the hobby. Marlon Brando used to tell Alfie he needed his head examined to want his autograph. Like he seriously lectured him about seeing a psychiatrist. Brando was so tough if he wrote you a check, you'd be better off not cashing it. The irony was the less he signed the more he drove up the value, making people want it more.

Here's the Eminem one from his site now on ebay. Guy is trying to make about $200 on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eminem-Rap-L...item5af74ab24c

Sorry to post so much- just saw these questions:

Bob Dylan would be an amazing get. Heard he doesn't sign at all, but I don't know for sure. Does he sign anything anymore?

My dream signing would be Prince. He outright doesn't sign at all. I think he may have briefly in the 90s, but he hasn't signed in years as I understand.
    Dylan is really hard. Michael Wehrmann, one of the most famous in person collectors gets him once a year or so. He has one listed on ebay now for $4500...I just can't do that for someone who is alive. But it's gorgeous. Dylan is just one of those guys who everything has to be right for you to get him. One collector I know had to follow him around and kiss his tail for twenty minutes, swear he wasn't going to sell it...told him his favorite album was "Self Portrait," to which Dylan was like "Really?" and it broke the ice and he got two from him. I want one but man, at four grand that's four or five Springsteen's...

Prince. Wow. He's tough, and he's a horse's rump about it. Alfie got him one time on a brown paper bag...and sold it for $1500...lol

i read once where just a normal guy, not a collector, had him one on one....nobody around...walked up and tried to hand him a pen to sign a piece of paper and he said, "What do you want me to do with this?" The guy said it hurt like he was punched in the stomach...just totally made him feel bad.

That's another one I want, but I've given up hope on getting one. I've seen two or three authentic ones in twenty years....it just isn't worth the trouble.

No the Zeppelin stuff is on separate pieces. i invested in three of the Jimmy Page art prints from his site when they were much cheaper than they are now and one Robert Plant art print- the artist was a british soccer player, maybe. There are a few on ebay right now where both Plant and Page have signed with COAs from Roger Epperson that Im tempted to buy but Im happy with what I have.

Be patient with Eminem- he has had a few of those lithographs...they lasted about a year, and there were 25 left right before Thanksgiving. One will pop up on ebay if you're interested.

Madonna- that's a funny story. Not sure if youve ever heard of Alfie Pettit, but that guy could get her like nobody's business. He got turned down a ton but had a lot of success. Anyway, I was obsessed with madonna 18 years ago and got a bunch from him. Im going to sell two or three because its silly to have that many and with the COAs from alfie I should get a good price. They would pass PSA with flying colors- just terrific examples.

As for others, gosh-

Winona Ryder, Richard Gere, Sean penn, Nicholson, Sean connery...I spent too much money back in the 90s...lots more.

I have Axl and Slash, Elton John twice, like you I have Taylor Swift (I have two of the Peter Max prints from her website Im getting ready to put up on ebay).

I want to slim down my collection- going to sell 20-30 pieces and then use the money to buy a good Bob Dylan.
    Was autograph collecting cheaper in the 90s and before? I assume for the legacy artists it was. But I almost feel like the non-legacy celebrities as a whole are signing more now which in turn has driven the prices down, at least for now. I didn't really even start collecting at all or even think to start collecting until about 2 years ago.

Also, do you really trust all of the COAs? I know some are legit and I know some experts can authenticate, but how do you really know? Especially on eBay where some people print a COA out of their bedroom. I'm not saying they are all fake or anything, but I'd imagine even the experts could get something wrong? I wasn't previously familiar with Alfie, but looked him up. Looks like quite the character. For instance, sites like fanbiz where people send out SASE to celebrity handlers...I just have to imagine what they receive back most be almost exclusively autopens/preprints/secretarials.

I'd say about 90% of the signatures I've acquired have been in-person. The others I have not obtained in-person have been via relationships with people who directly work for/with that celebrity (I work in entertainment which has helped).

Was autograph collecting cheaper in the 90s and before? I assume for the legacy artists it was. But I almost feel like the non-legacy celebrities as a whole are signing more now which in turn has driven the prices down, at least for now. I didn't really even start collecting at all or even think to start collecting until about 2 years ago.

Also, do you really trust all of the COAs? I know some are legit and I know some experts can authenticate, but how do you really know? Especially on eBay where some people print a COA out of their bedroom. I'm not saying they are all fake or anything, but I'd imagine even the experts could get something wrong? I wasn't previously familiar with Alfie, but looked him up. Looks like quite the character. For instance, sites like fanbiz where people send out SASE to celebrity handlers...I just have to imagine what they receive back most be almost exclusively autopens/preprints/secretarials.

I'd say about 90% of the signatures I've acquired have been in-person. The others I have not obtained in-person have been via relationships with people who directly work for/with that celebrity (I work in entertainment which has helped).
    I got most of my stuff from a very small group of collectors I trusted. COAs from them are invaluable. COAs from PSA...ugh. Sometimes they authenticate things they have no business doing. But mostly I like them. JSA, no thanks. Roger Epperson is about the best in the business with rock and roll signatures. That dude from Pawn stars, Drew Maxx, steer clear. Autographs from those shops in Vegas, stay away. Same for the ones in malls.

The prices in the 90s were outrageous- at least from Alfie they were- but I knew I was getting good stuff. The FBI used him to sink a few of the terrible dealers that were popping up.

There are some through the mail autographs that are good- there is a website I go to called autograph magazine live and they share addresses of ones who really sign. You can also get free advice on your stuff or things you want to buy on ebay. And when they find a dealer who is selling fake stuff, they go out in full force.

It's a great hobby if you know what you are doing- I've been burned a few times but it's from not doing enough homework. I stick to stuff that has been authenticated by Roger or stuff sold through an artist's website.

It's awesome you were able to do it yourself for the most part. Just super.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 12-12-2013 at 01:01 AM.

Sorry to post so much- just saw these questions:

Dylan is really hard. Michael Wehrmann, one of the most famous in person collectors gets him once a year or so. He has one listed on ebay now for $4500...I just can't do that for someone who is alive. But it's gorgeous. Dylan is just one of those guys who everything has to be right for you to get him. One collector I know had to follow him around and kiss his tail for twenty minutes, swear he wasn't going to sell it...told him his favorite album was "Self Portrait," to which Dylan was like "Really?" and it broke the ice and he got two from him. I want one but man, at four grand that's four or five Springsteen's...

Prince. Wow. He's tough, and he's a horse's rump about it. Alfie got him one time on a brown paper bag...and sold it for $1500...lol

i read once where just a normal guy, not a collector, had him one on one....nobody around...walked up and tried to hand him a pen to sign a piece of paper and he said, "What do you want me to do with this?" The guy said it hurt like he was punched in the stomach...just totally made him feel bad.

That's another one I want, but I've given up hope on getting one. I've seen two or three authentic ones in twenty years....it just isn't worth the trouble.
    Wow. $4500 for someone that is alive is a TON. Dylan played last year at this relatively small venue here called Terminal 5. The capacity is probably around 3000 or so. Anyway, I didn't go, but I had heard he refused to sign for anyone.

That doesn't surprise me about Prince either, but what a terrible story. I have a friend that books a venue and a couple years back, he flew out here to come see Larry Graham's show. Prince's bodyguard called up and asked if Prince could have a closed off section to his self. He also requested that he have somewhere to be before the show starts away from the public. She was also told that she nor any of the employees were allowed to make eye contact with Prince!

I still don't fully understand why a.) how good the signature is (since apparently it can vary) matters so much as it pertains to the value and b.) why a signed guitar for instance can be worth thousands more than a signed vinyl or a signed vinyl is worth more than a CD sleeve or an 8x10. Is it size? Signed baseballs by celebrities seem to be worth more too.

Is Springsteen really worth close to a grand? It's funny, he is an easy one for me. I actually have a few, although one is personalized. He is involved with a charity that I volunteer with and so I actually see him twice a year at events. I've only asked a few times, but the last one I got is just great. It's a great signature and he even drew a guitar on there. One of the nicest and humblest "celebrities" I've met.

I got most of my stuff from a very small group of collectors I trusted. COAs from them are invaluable. COAs from PSA...ugh. Sometimes they authenticate things they have no business doing. But mostly I like them. JSA, no thanks. Roger Epperson is about the best in the business with rock and roll signatures. That dude from Pawn stars, Drew Maxx, steer clear. Autographs from those shops in Vegas, stay away. Same for the ones in malls.

The prices in the 90s were outrageous- at least from Alfie they were- but I knew I was getting good stuff. The FBI used him to sink a few of the terrible dealers that were popping up.

There are some through the mail autographs that are good- there is a website I go to called autograph magazine live and they share addresses of ones who really sign. You can also get free advice on your stuff or things you want to buy on ebay. And when they find a dealer who is selling fake stuff, they go out in full force.

It's a great hobby if you know what you are doing- I've been burned a few times but it's from not doing enough homework. I stick to stuff that has been authenticated by Roger or stuff sold through an artist's website.

It's awesome you were able to do it yourself for the most part. Just super.
    Yes! I remember reading about Drew Maxx and how he has been unreliable and claimed something was fake that was actually real. That's what scared me aboue that.

That is awesome that there was such a reliable group back then. I don't know if such a thing exists anymore, at least on that level. I'll have to check out Autograph Magazine Live. I probably have clicked on it before in the past not realizing exactly what it was.

It's funny, you mentioned timing and it's true. Can you imagine if you lived in Asbury Park in the 70s or Minneapolis in the 70s/early 80s? You could've gotten so many autographs from Prince and Bruce, but most people had no idea how big those guys would become.

Are you familiar with the website toppixautographs.com? This person actually lives out here and for the majority of autographs, gets video proof of someone signing the item. I've seen her a few times. The prices seem reasonable for the most part, with the exception of McCartney.

I really enjoy collecting as I said before, but it can be gut-wrenching. Especially when you see the dealers act like animals and thus miss out on an opportunity after you've waited for a while.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Are you familiar with the website toppixautographs.com? This person actually lives out here and for the majority of autographs, gets video proof of someone signing the item. I've seen her a few times. The prices seem reasonable for the most part, with the exception of McCartney.

I really enjoy collecting as I said before, but it can be gut-wrenching. Especially when you see the dealers act like animals and thus miss out on an opportunity after you've waited for a while.
    Video proof doesn't do much for me. Sure, you can prove you had him sign something, but I can't tell if it was the thing you are now trying to sell to me or just something just like it.

Wow. $4500 for someone that is alive is a TON. Dylan played last year at this relatively small venue here called Terminal 5. The capacity is probably around 3000 or so. Anyway, I didn't go, but I had heard he refused to sign for anyone.

That doesn't surprise me about Prince either, but what a terrible story. I have a friend that books a venue and a couple years back, he flew out here to come see Larry Graham's show. Prince's bodyguard called up and asked if Prince could have a closed off section to his self. He also requested that he have somewhere to be before the show starts away from the public. She was also told that she nor any of the employees were allowed to make eye contact with Prince!

I still don't fully understand why a.) how good the signature is (since apparently it can vary) matters so much as it pertains to the value and b.) why a signed guitar for instance can be worth thousands more than a signed vinyl or a signed vinyl is worth more than a CD sleeve or an 8x10. Is it size? Signed baseballs by celebrities seem to be worth more too.

Is Springsteen really worth close to a grand? It's funny, he is an easy one for me. I actually have a few, although one is personalized. He is involved with a charity that I volunteer with and so I actually see him twice a year at events. I've only asked a few times, but the last one I got is just great. It's a great signature and he even drew a guitar on there. One of the nicest and humblest "celebrities" I've met.
    With signatures you just want a nicer example. It matters for a couple reasons. One, if it's perfect it's just going to be more sought after. More importantly the better examples are less likely to be forged- Madonna is one where if she gives you the perfect "Love Madonna" written as one word so the whole word Love also looks likea n M- I mean, you can't fake that no matter how good you are. But if she scribbles, and man can she give out some stinkers, anybody can write that and the authenticity is much tougher to establish. Al Pacino gives out crap, and I'd challenge anyone to authenticate his stuff. One company had a "private signing" and PSA was there to give the heralded "ITP" COA (in the presence of) and he signed some beauties. Go to ebay, type in "Pacino ITP" and there are some incredible oversize photos with perfect examples of his signature. The only problem is he signed so many and he signs well anyway that it's tough to pay $400 for that.

Springsteen is anywhere from $500 to $1500, just depends on what the signature is on. There are a few on ebay right now for even more than that.

He is a really good signer, but the demand is really high. You are lucky to have access to him- i have one, I really really want more.

As for the items- guitars are worth more because they are harder to get signed, plus the guitar holds value. I've never understood the baseball thing. I tend to go for heavier stock posters or prints. Big is better and if you have a quality item you are more likely to get more money if you sell.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 12-12-2013 at 08:12 PM.

Turn Off Ads?