Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: The Autograph Thread

Re: The Autograph Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I have pieces that are twenty years old: gold, silver, blue, black. The only ones that have faded terribly are the blue ones.

Black can fade- it does depend on how thick the pen stroke is. A bold sig with a thicker pen will last a long way.

I keep my stuff in darkness- It has solved the fading issue.
    So do you think using one of those thicker sharpies is better than a regular one? Or perhaps it just depends on the signer and how hard they press down?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Here's a pic of one of the Pacino's. Another readon I don't want it is the PSA sticker. Ruins it for me.

Go to ebay, type in "Pacino ITP " and you'll see all the variations.Attachment 7418
    Yeah I have to say, this looks similar I believe to the one I have, which in person in front of a bunch of people where he is already kind of rushing, ain't too bad. Although I wish it were on one of these prints instead of his broadway program.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    That's a fantastic pickup, seriously. I will await being added to your will.
    Here's the thing. Keith and Charlie added "2010," so these have been out there for four years. The only way to have found it was to do what I did, randomly: do a google search for "Rolling Stones signed." search through Google images and click on a pic that had "sold out" plastered across it.

The copy on the link said that the Stones signed them as gifts for their camp and they had a few left over. It's in this really heavy museum paper and hand numbered. I have 4/25. I wholly expected to order and then get a note saying they made a mistake. I could hardly sleep for two nights while I waited for a tracking number. It came and I lost three more nights sleep while it made its way to Florida.

I am one happy guy.

Yeah I have to say, this looks similar I believe to the one I have, which in person in front of a bunch of people where he is already kind of rushing, ain't too bad. Although I wish it were on one of these prints instead of his broadway program.
    There's something about Playbills. John C Reilly will only sign those.

Speaking of playbills there's a Streetcar Named Desire one signed by the whole cast including Brando right now on ebay. Sigh.

Here's the thing. Keith and Charlie added "2010," so these have been out there for four years. The only way to have found it was to do what I did, randomly: do a google search for "Rolling Stones signed." search through Google images and click on a pic that had "sold out" plastered across it.

The copy on the link said that the Stones signed them as gifts for their camp and they had a few left over. It's in this really heavy museum paper and hand numbered. I have 4/25. I wholly expected to order and then get a note saying they made a mistake. I could hardly sleep for two nights while I waited for a tracking number. It came and I lost three more nights sleep while it made its way to Florida.

I am one happy guy.
    Haha, man I love stories like that. I have not bought many (maybe even any?) autographs, but I would've made an exception for 1 like that. It really pays to do your research. It obviously paid off big time.

So do you think using one of those thicker sharpies is better than a regular one? Or perhaps it just depends on the signer and how hard they press down?
    I think thicker is better but you are at the mercy of luck sometimes.

Sean Penn signed a photo so fast that it looked faded the day he did it.

There 's a signed Led Zeppelin double neck epiphone guitar inline that is tbe real deal that I avoided because Jimmy Page signed in blue on a pearl pickguard. The risk of fading is just too great. Or smudging.

That's why I love the Foo Fighter guitar- that silver paint should hold up.

Most actors and actresses are really picky when they are on broadway. They typically will only sign playbills. There are some exceptions like Broderick and Pacino (with a lousy signature), but I guess they don't want dealers making a killing and this makes it too easy for them. One dealer told me that you can sometimes get them to sign outside of a Playbill, but the trick is you have to either catch them on opening night (before they become jaded) or catch them on their way into the theatre. Haven't tried either, but I'm open to trying the opening night thing even though I'd have to think it's a circus.

Jut looked up that Streetcar playbill...wow! Is that a good deal? Is it authentic? I'm surprised a bit that it's not worth more given how old it is?

I think thicker is better but you are at the mercy of luck sometimes.

Sean Penn signed a photo so fast that it looked faded the day he did it.

There 's a signed Led Zeppelin double neck epiphone guitar inline that is tbe real deal that I avoided because Jimmy Page signed in blue on a pearl pickguard. The risk of fading is just too great. Or smudging.

That's why I love the Foo Fighter guitar- that silver paint should hold up.
    Yeah that is what I hate...it all happens so quickly and they rarely take their time here. I understand it to some extent...because they are usually on their way in or out of somewhere and there are mobs of people. When I got a Jimmy Carter book autographed, he actually signed it with a pen! Pretty rare these days. Speaking of which, I really want to get George H. W. Bush before he passes, but anything short of going to Houston and getting lucky, I don't see it happening.

I think it's worth a grand but about six months ago a guy sold one where the five main characters signed in pencil ( never fades, the best) for $400.

Some luck involved there.

About 20 years ago they could sell for two thousand. Sometimes the older stars fall a bit in value as their fans die off.

Marlon Brando was a freaking tough autograph. He'd tell you to get your head examined for asking for it.

I think it's worth a grand but about six months ago a guy sold one where the five main characters signed in pencil ( never fades, the best) for $400.

Some luck involved there.

About 20 years ago they could sell for two thousand. Sometimes the older stars fall a bit in value as their fans die off.

Marlon Brando was a freaking tough autograph. He'd tell you to get your head examined for asking for it.
    I assume you mean in his later years? The older ones I think just become more selfish with their time. Not all of course, but some. They've been at it for too long and just want to be left alone!

I assume you mean in his later years? The older ones I think just become more selfish with their time. Not all of course, but some. They've been at it for too long and just want to be left alone!
    I'm all over the place, sorry about that.

I just mean the monetary value of signatures. Sometimes they fall because the people who gave a hoot about the celebrity die off.

With a guy like Brando- his authentic signatures are pretty rare and the prices that used to be sky high have fallen.

I'm all over the place, sorry about that.

I just mean the monetary value of signatures. Sometimes they fall because the people who gave a hoot about the celebrity die off.

With a guy like Brando- his authentic signatures are pretty rare and the prices that used to be sky high have fallen.
    Oh...I just meant was Brando tougher to get in his later years to sign? Or was he always notorious for being tough?

Oh...I just meant was Brando tougher to get in his later years to sign? Or was he always notorious for being tough?
    Easier when he was younger, yes , but there isnt a large quantity available from that time period.

Easier when he was younger, yes , but there isnt a large quantity available from that time period.
    So do you think the LZ memorabilia will some day be worth less when all the boomers are extinct? I feel like somehow the Beatles stuff will remain valuable even after the Boomers. I wonder how the market will change.

You would think as these older actors/actresses were icons and there are fewer pieces in existence that would drive the price up. But I guess if the millennials and generation X people don't know or care about people, that would make a difference. I had never thought of what you said, but you raise an interesting point about the older actors having fewer fans around as time passes and that driving down the prices.

So do you think the LZ memorabilia will some day be worth less when all the boomers are extinct? I feel like somehow the Beatles stuff will remain valuable even after the Boomers. I wonder how the market will change.

You would think as these older actors/actresses were icons and there are fewer pieces in existence that would drive the price up. But I guess if the millennials and generation X people don't know or care about people, that would make a difference. I had never thought of what you said, but you raise an interesting point about the older actors having fewer fans around as time passes and that driving down the prices.
    I think music is different from film. Radio still plays rock. Not many kids seeing much of Brando's work.

But sure, the bottom could fall out of the Beatles one day. Will kids in 200 years care about them?

I think they will. But I also think the number of bands they care about will shrink.

Dylan, the Stones, Beatles... that stuff should always hold some sort of value.

Zeppelin? I think so but not to the degree of the above.

Turn Off Ads?