Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: The Autograph Thread

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: The Autograph Thread

Bill Ward, drummer for Black Sabbath crash cymbal used on tours after 1975.

Signed as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2397.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	12610

2. Likes:

bounty37h (07-03-2017),fearofpopvol1 (07-02-2017),goreds2 (08-04-2017),Kingspoint (07-02-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post

Signed as well.

Where is Kylie's image?

Has she lost her mind?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

5. Likes:

bounty37h (07-03-2017),Dom Heffner (07-04-2017)

Dude, you have some serious stuff! I have a nice sports collection but not much in music, but seriously appreciate what you have going on! I want to get some more music stuff btu don't even really know where to look to start.

Signed as well.

UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-04-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Dude, you have some serious stuff! I have a nice sports collection but not much in music, but seriously appreciate what you have going on! I want to get some more music stuff btu don't even really know where to look to start.
    Thank you very much.

Collecting has been a joy- the education can be as expensive as the hobby itself if you aren't careful.

If you let me know whose stuff you would be after I may be able to help you.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 07-04-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Name:	IMG_2645.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	297.8 KB 
ID:	12738

A mini notebook sheet with the beginnings of Dave Grohl's lyrics for "Hey, Johnny Park."

As a collector every now and then an item really speaks to me. It can be something simple like a signature on a favorite album or image. Other times it's the history of the item- where it's been, who owned it, what it was used for.

The latter is the most fun to collect. I have a friend who owns the road case that carried Kurt Cobain's guitars on both the Nevermind and In Utero tours. So not only did this thing travel around the world and carry Kurt Cobain's touring guitars, it also holds other stories such as the band and crew using it for a lunch table.

Recently I came across a pretty cool item with similar type history: Bill Ward's (Black Sabbath) first professional set of cymbals. Ordinarily that wouldn't be a big deal- but bands formed in the 1960s and 1970s didn't have the budgets for multiple instruments- they would drag their one guitar or drum kit with them everywhere. From the studio and onto a grueling tour schedule.

In 1968, Bill Ward was 19 years old and about to join his first band, Mythology, along with future Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi. So into Yardley's- a music store in Birmingham England with incredible history all its own- he went to purchase his first set of professional cymbals.

Mythology was short lived, lasting just a few months and Ward and Iommi were in search of a new band. After seeing a notice posted at Yardley's by Ozzy Osbourne, they all formed a band called Earth along with Geezer Butler. Realizing that another band had the same name, they went with Black Sabbath shortly after.

All through these changes, Bill Wards first set of cymbals - Super Zyn 5 Star to be precise- came along for the ride.

And what a ride it would be. Used to rehearse, write, and record the first 3 Black Sabbath albums (Black Sabbath, Paranoid, and Master of Reality)as well as the subsequent tours, they would be a vital part of the band's early history. All the cymbal sounds you hear on hits like "Paranoid," "Iron Man," "The Wizard" and many more were made by the ones posted below. Just super cool. And with the original case from 1968. These are also the cymbals you see in the "Iron Man" and other music video promo clips from the early 1970s. And used on the show Top of the Pops, too.

Name:	IMG_2523.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	12739

Name:	IMG_2524.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	12740

Name:	IMG_2525.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	12741

Name:	IMG_2527.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	12742

Name:	IMG_2531.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	12743

Name:	IMG_2530.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	12744

Ward told Rolling Stone:

To somebody else it might be stupid, but I noticed that some of my original Zyn cymbals were selling. To be honest, they'd been in storage for years, they'd been in storage for 25, 30 years – 35, 40 years. They come all the way back from Field Farm, where we lived back in the early Seventies. They've just travelled with us. What it is, is just the memories that come with those Zyn cymbals. These are some of the cymbals that we used on early Black Sabbath recordings. Also, I used them onstage. Some of them survived.
    When I was trying to negotiate to get these, Ward's manager was very adamant that I not split up the set- there are 6 cymbals in all- and kept reiterating the importance of them. Before approving the sale, his team wanted to know aboiut me, my plans for them, etc. I've never been through anything quite like it. I was offered to meet with Mr Ward and discuss them, but with a new baby I just couldn't make the trip. Anyhow, his attachment to them was inspiring, and adds to the romance of it all.

Thought you guys would enjoy the story and seeing these!
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 08-13-2017 at 01:27 AM.

11. Likes:

bounty37h (08-14-2017),Redsfaithful (08-13-2017)

Another Foo Fighters original handwritten setlist.

This came from a secret show in Tarzana, featuring the live debuts of "Best of You" and others off "In Your Honor."

Name:	IMG_2937.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	283.8 KB 
ID:	12908

13. Likes:

Redsfaithful (10-16-2017)

Kind of a tangent, my 4 year old is a big Tucker Barnhart fan. She has a signed picture and card already. We live close to Muncie so we thought we’d get him to sign a ball at Reds Caravan. I’ve done a little research and it seems like everyone recommends getting the official MLB baseball for signatures. Is that what you all would recommend? If we wanted to buy an official ball for Tucker but maybe not for, say, Dmitri Young or Scott Schebler, is there a cheaper but still pretty good alternative? And is there any type of pen you all swear by?
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Donder View Post
    Kind of a tangent, my 4 year old is a big Tucker Barnhart fan. She has a signed picture and card already. We live close to Muncie so we thought we’d get him to sign a ball at Reds Caravan. I’ve done a little research and it seems like everyone recommends getting the official MLB baseball for signatures. Is that what you all would recommend? If we wanted to buy an official ball for Tucker but maybe not for, say, Dmitri Young or Scott Schebler, is there a cheaper but still pretty good alternative? And is there any type of pen you all swear by?
    Thanks!

My advice would be to get the best baseball you can for everybody and use a blue ball point pen- you may not have a choice as they sometimes don't like to switch pens out, but I would avoid blue sharpie on a baseball.

If you don't want to buy an official ball, then just go with what suits your budget.

16. Likes:

Donder (01-25-2018),nmculbreth (01-25-2018)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

My advice would be to get the best baseball you can for everybody and use a blue ball point pen- you may not have a choice as they sometimes don't like to switch pens out, but I would avoid blue sharpie on a baseball.

If you don't want to buy an official ball, then just go with what suits your budget.
    Avoid ANY sharpie on the ball if you can.

18. Likes:

Donder (01-25-2018)

Thanks!

I know it may not be as appealing to the eye--

But look how ball point holds up:

This is from 1970!

Name:	Sabbath4.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	13179

Name:	Sabbath.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	13180

Name:	Sabbath5.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	13181

Name:	Sabbath6.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	13182

Name:	Sabbath7.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	13183

20. Likes:

Donder (01-25-2018)

Thanks!

I realize that it's probably too late but I'd strongly suggest spending the extra money for Rawlings Official Major League Balls (ROMLB) that are manufactured in Costa Rica... Any sort of vinyl ball or Chinese leather balls will bleed and fade substantially.

Thanks for all the suggestion. I ended up getting a mini helmet on a stand to have Tucker sign, a mini bat I’ll probably have Schebler sign, an two official MLB baseballs, probably for Marty and Trammel.

23. Likes:

Dom Heffner (01-25-2018)

Eddie Vedder’s tour used microphone and stand- signed.

This was used on Pearl Jam tours from 1998-2005 before he smashed it to hell.

Attachment 13313

25. Likes:

dougdirt (02-24-2018)

Renowned Album Cover artist pioneer, Gary Burden, passed away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Burden
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?