Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: The Autograph Thread

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: The Autograph Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Renowned Album Cover artist pioneer, Gary Burden, passed away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Burden
    What an important artist he was.

I love record art- I had a shot at some of the original proofs for the Stones' "Beggar's Banquet LP...just had money tied up elsewhere....they sold in 5 days.

Some of those early LP covers are wonderful to look at.

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-12-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Buddy of mine in College had every piece of wall in his apartment covered in Album covers. His collection was incredible. Every Fleetwood Mac was my favorite. He had an import album of Dark Side of the Moon we'd listen to and you could hear things on it you couldn't hear on the U.S. version. I really love album cover art. I would find new artists that way all the time because their cover would draw me to buy them.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-12-2018 at 06:00 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

5. Likes:

Dom Heffner (03-12-2018)

I had a roommate who used to talk about hearing things on Dark Side of the Moon that weren't really there, too. He said that was why he quit acid. True story.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

7. Likes:

Dom Heffner (03-12-2018),Kingspoint (03-12-2018)

Buddy of mine in College has every piece of wall in his apartment covered in Album covers. His collection was incredible. Every Fleetwood Mac was my favorite. He had an import album of Dark Side of the Moon we'd listen to and you could hear things on it you couldn't hear on the U.S. version. I really love album cover art. I would find neww artists that way all the time because their cover would draw me to buy them.
    What fun to open a record and while it played stare at that huge album cover.

Used to be so much fun, even if they sounded worse than digital music.

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-12-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I had a roommate who used to talk about hearing things on Dark Side of the Moon that weren't really there, too. He said that was why he quit acid. True story.
    We, of course, were doing acid while we were listening, and that was a good thing, as you got the most out of that album by doing so. Nothing wrong with a little acid if your mind is right. All acid does is accentuate the feelings of what's going on inside. If your mind is right, it's a good trip. If your mind is off, you might have issues becoming accentuated, and get a bad trip. I imagine that's what happened with your Friend. One of the greatest Pianists in the World was a close friend of mine named Mark Simon. He did hundreds of trips by the time he was 19. He won National piano contests, but his passion was jazz, and he had a style uniquely his own. Ken Kesey, whom I know you've read his works, is a great read to learn more about the truth regarding the usage of LSD.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-12-2018 at 06:28 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

11. Likes:

Dom Heffner (03-13-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    What fun to open a record and while it played stare at that huge album cover.

Used to be so much fun, even if they sounded worse than digital music.
    I sold music and it's components. I knew well the mathematics involved with digitally recorded versus analogically recorded music, but there was still a dfference where I preferred vinyl, and could hear things that weren't on the digitally recorded version, even though that is supposed to be physically impossible. Earth, Wind & Fire's "I Am", was a great cover. Supertramp's "Breakfast in America", Thin Lizzy's "Black Rose", and hundreds of others, are music legends, just for the art.

13. Likes:

Dom Heffner (03-13-2018)

Nice wikipedia article on "The Ventures", the best-selling instrumental band of all-time, whose original band member, Nokie Edwards, passed away today. There is some cool information on guitars they influenced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ventures

- - - Updated - - -

Nice wikipedia article on "The Ventures", the best-selling instrumental band of all-time, whose original band member, Nokie Edwards, passed away today. There is some cool information on guitars they influenced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ventures

One of the backup vocalists on "Dark Side of the Moon", Claudia Fontaine, noted as one of the top-10 best backup vocalists of all-time, passed away Tuesday. It was producer Alan Parsons, who asked her to sing wordless, for that album. It's some of the very best cuts from the album.

http://www.voice-online.co.uk/articl...taine-has-died

16. Likes:

marcshoe (03-15-2018)

One of the backup vocalists on "Dark Side of the Moon", Claudia Fontaine, noted as one of the top-10 best backup vocalists of all-time, passed away Tuesday. It was producer Alan Parsons, who asked her to sing wordless, for that album. It's some of the very best cuts from the album.

http://www.voice-online.co.uk/articl...taine-has-died
    She sang on "Everyday I Write the Book" with Elvis Costello if memory serves.

Talented, terrific.

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-15-2018)

Alright, so I can finally post this. Awhile back I posted a photo of one of Kurt Cobain's Fender Stratocasters. I had a tough time deciding whether to get it signed or not by the surviving members. Some people think it lowers the value...these are so rare, I figured it couldn't hurt and thought it might display better.

Plus, I wanted to see Dave and Krist's face. Krist was not very happy, I don't think...he was a little weirded out haha....he used to sign his name "Krist Nirvanaselic" and tried to get him to do it and he wouldn't. He asked "Are you sure you want me to sign this?" But he did add "In Utero." Cool, since that is the tour it was used on.

Dave Grohl was pretty excited by it, you can see his face in the photo. Pat Smear wouldn't sign, said it was too personal. And I understand.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kurt.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	284.1 KB 
ID:	13512

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kurtdave.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	13513

*the Krist photo wouldnt load, I'll try to get it later....
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 04-17-2018 at 10:11 AM.

20. Likes:

bounty37h (04-25-2018),Kingspoint (04-24-2018),Redsfaithful (04-17-2018)

Wow!

22. Likes:

Dom Heffner (04-25-2018)

Wow!
    So I went to pick this up by hand....in Seattle....didn't want to ship it, I was afraid to have it lost. Went to the Mopac, Safeco...Seattle is amazing....had a blast.

I go to get on the plane....and I'm carrying this guitar...and it suddenly hits me how weird this is going to be going through the scanners....and I really don't know what to do, do I tell them do I just let it go...

I choose to make as big a deal as possible. That way they won't think it is anything. I pull it out of a carrying case and tell the lady that I have a broken guitar and that I know it is unusual and wanted her to know before they scan it. She yells "We have a guitar coming..."

Cool, all set. Then she looks at it....and starts talking about how it's the ugliest funniest looking guitar she's ever seen.....she was having a good time at its expense.

So I say, "Hey you you shouldn't laugh at my guitar, that could have belonged to Kurt Cobain, maybe he played it...."

"Yeah, right." She says.

24. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-25-2018)

That's hilarious.

Alright, another Grohl item.

This is a snare drum that Dave recorded on from 84-94. I cannot believe I own this, but after some begging and selling off of some of the collection, I finally got it.

Used early on from his very first recordings- Dain Bramage, Mission Impossible, Late!, Scream...

To 3 Nirvana songs, as well as jamming with Kurt and Krist on two other Nirvana songs...and finally used in the recording of all the demos that became the very first Foo Fighters record. Big me, Alone and Easy Target, This is a Call, pretty much the whole record. The story is too overwhelming to post, if I get some time I'll put up the more extensive list of what it was used on.

Got him to sign it, his words were "Haven't seen that in awhile!" Unlike other rockers, he was more than happy to sign and was genuinely excited to see it.

Attachment 13944

27. Likes:

ABEsolutely (08-08-2018),dougdirt (08-07-2018),Redsfaithful (08-07-2018)

Dom...what is your take on how todays athletes and celebrities write their names in such a way that no one can read it? I think it is going to hurt the future of this hobby if all the autographs are nothing more than scribble and no one can read it.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?