Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: The Autograph Thread

Re: The Autograph Thread

http://www.amazon.com/Lebron-Autogra...ds=14+x+14+x+8

Good deal? I can only imagine the value on that will increase.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post

Cut autographs of living people just infuriate me. I get it if they are dead, they can't sign things anymore so there is a very finite number of autographs available, much less ones on photos. But when people are living, have them sign the freaking photo. The sticker autographs are the worst and I hate everything about them.

For a Level Playing Field

Only if some fool is willing to pay so much money. What do they say? Oh yeah, "A fool and his money are soon parted."

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Only if some fool is willing to pay so much money. What do they say? Oh yeah, "A fool and his money are soon parted."
    I don't think it's that crazy. Maybe a tad high for right now, but you're gambling on LeBron becoming a legend. If he does, this will easily appreciate in value in 10-15 years. Obviously it's authentic.

What do you think Dom?

For a Level Playing Field

I don't think it's that crazy. Maybe a tad high for right now, but you're gambling on LeBron becoming a legend. If he does, this will easily appreciate in value in 10-15 years. Obviously it's authentic.

What do you think Dom?
    I know what ya mean. And I will admit that the whole "autograph industry" is a crazy thing to me. It makes me think of the people who go to a baseball game when a bobblehead is given at the gate and they leave as soon as the bobblehead is in their hands.

The funny thing... my brother-in-law got me two autographs as Christmas presents this year! A mini OSU helmet signed by Troy Smith and an autographed copy of the Megadeth bass player's biography. Of course I thanked him and told him both might be worth something lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    I know what ya mean. And I will admit that the whole "autograph industry" is a crazy thing to me. It makes me think of the people who go to a baseball game when a bobblehead is given at the gate and they leave as soon as the bobblehead is in their hands.

The funny thing... my brother-in-law got me two autographs as Christmas presents this year! A mini OSU helmet signed by Troy Smith and an autographed copy of the Megadeth bass player's biography. Of course I thanked him and told him both might be worth something lol.
    I understand. I'm with you to a point. Especially as a kid, collecting autographs was a lot more pure and this kind of takes that out of the equation. I think the LeBron one could be a great buy in a matter of years. Curious of Dom's opinion.

Also as a quick side note, I was able to get Cameron Diaz's autograph this evening. She was signing copies of her new book. I have heard she's not notoriously a great signer. She eespecially loathes dealers. I think her guard was down for this one though, especially with it being her first signing. She signed the books really well.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

What do you think Dom?
    I think cut signatures are the least valuable of all signatures.

you can get all four Beatles on a piece of paper for $1500 or so. The Beatles.

You'll be an ancient man before it goes up....just my opinion.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 01-08-2014 at 11:19 PM.

Also as a quick side note, I was able to get Cameron Diaz's autograph this evening. She was signing copies of her new book. I have heard she's not notoriously a great signer. She eespecially loathes dealers. I think her guard was down for this one though, especially with it being her first signing. She signed the books really well.
    She used to be great, she's now an outright jerk. Of course, that's probably directed at people she thinks are dealers.

The "in-person" guys can be brutal- just terrible. A group of them made poor Angela Basset cry way back in the late 90's....

I finally got me a Dylan LP. I had it authenticated by three experts- one was the guy who authenticated dylan's handwriting for the PBS history Detectives show.

I wasn't messing around- i contacted the top rock and roll authenticator in the country plus the guy PBS used. His analysis helped confirm a Dylan guitar that sold for a million dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I think cut signatures are the least valuable of all signatures.

you can get all four Beatles on a piece of paper for $1500 or so. The Beatles.

You'll be an ancient man before it goes up....just my opinion.
    Good to know. I wasn't seriously considering it, but thought it was interesting.

She used to be great, she's now an outright jerk. Of course, that's probably directed at people she thinks are dealers.

The "in-person" guys can be brutal- just terrible. A group of them made poor Angela Basset cry way back in the late 90's....
    I think you're spot on here. If you go to youtube and watch her signing stuff, you can tell by her body language that is hating every moment of it. She was surprisingly nice though at the signing. But you could tell she was very passionate about her book and I think that carried over to the signing.

I think the "in person" guys have actually gotten worse. Even more aggressive and disgusting. Sucks for people like me who genuinely want to collect and not sell. Undoubtedly they almost always seem to "win" in those situations over me. I shouldn't complain though, I've had some good luck too.

I finally got me a Dylan LP. I had it authenticated by three experts- one was the guy who authenticated dylan's handwriting for the PBS history Detectives show.

I wasn't messing around- i contacted the top rock and roll authenticator in the country plus the guy PBS used. His analysis helped confirm a Dylan guitar that sold for a million dollars.
    That's fantastic!! I'm impressed. How much did it set you back if you don't mind my asking?

And what?!? A Dylan guitar went for a million? That is unfathomable to me. For a million, you could buy an awful lot of others.

That's fantastic!! I'm impressed. How much did it set you back if you don't mind my asking?

And what?!? A Dylan guitar went for a million? That is unfathomable to me. For a million, you could buy an awful lot of others.
    The Dylan guitar was not signed- it was the exact guitar he used when he went electric at the Newport Folk Festival. He left the guitar on a plane, along with hand written lyrics (which Jeff Gold authenticated) and the pilot kept the guitar.

It's one of the most notable moments in rock history, so a million is probably par for the course.

The LP was low 4 's....the provenance was so rock solid and came with such a guarantee, I had to have it. That may seem outrageous, but consider that the small signing he did for his Tempest(!) CD netted 3 grand for one and his signed lithographs of his art go for that as well. A classic LP, which is much rarer is priced accordingly.

One of the toughest signatures in the world if he sniffs you're a dealer. His new line is, "You don't need my autograph, if you needed it, I'd give it to you."
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 01-09-2014 at 08:23 AM.

The Dylan guitar was not signed- it was the exact guitar he used when he went electric at the Newport Folk Festival. He left the guitar on a plane, along with hand written lyrics (which Jeff Gold authenticated) and the pilot kept the guitar.

It's one of the most notable moments in rock history, so a million is probably par for the course.

The LP was low 4 's....the provenance was so rock solid and came with such a guarantee, I had to have it. That may seem outrageous, but consider that the small signing he did for his Tempest(!) CD netted 3 grand for one and his signed lithographs of his art go for that as well. A classic LP, which is much rarer is priced accordingly.

One of the toughest signatures in the world if he sniffs you're a dealer. His new line is, "You don't need my autograph, if you needed it, I'd give it to you."
    I don't think that price is too crazy. It's certainly not going to lose any value, it's only going to go up. And you have a large enough collection that you could always sell other items and quickly/easily make that up if you wanted to.

Turn Off Ads?