Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: The Autograph Thread

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: The Autograph Thread

Here's a 24x36 Madonna Herb Ritts poster.

http://live.autographmagazine.com/photo/image-745

2. Turn Off Ads?

And to make you smile, a surprise.

http://live.autographmagazine.com/photo/image-831

Julia Roberts may be a multimillionaire but if she's signing for you, she's inscribing, adding pretty much nothing to my net worth. Though "lights are on" in the photo, so I have that going for me.

http://live.autographmagazine.com/photo/image-642

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Looks like that site is down for the time being Dom. I have checked the link several times throughout the day and it still isn't working. I really want to know what this surprise is!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Looks like that site is down for the time being Dom. I have checked the link several times throughout the day and it still isn't working. I really want to know what this surprise is!
    They've been down all day.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I wonder if they got hacked. The owner of the site was the one featured on the FOX 19 (Cincinnati) piece about busting Coach's Corner for supplying phoney items to a local charity (Rusty Ball?).

These guys are pretty vindictive....Coach's Corner is one of those operations where the advanced collector's know their stuff is bad but nobody has been able to stop them for years. And when they get questioned they go on the attack....

I'm probably wrong, but it's pretty coincidental.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post

I'm probably wrong, but it's pretty coincidental.
    And you seem to always go against conspiracy theories, so it must be pretty damning evidence.

[I collected hundreds of autographs of NBA players (and the older globetrotters from the sixties/seventies) as they came through town. Once followed Nate Thurmond for three blocks asking him for his autograph (I was 13), being as polite as possible, trying to come up with a number of reasons why he would want to give me his autograph, but I didn't get it. Was in the hotel of the Knicks' team from '72-'73. Got every single Knick. But, the Knicks' players were always obliging. Got "Abdul"'s auotgraph where I was standing stairing at his knee while he was on the first step of the bus....ran around to the other side after that and got "Big O"'s. Couldn't get "Tiny's". "Don't give no autograph!", as he stepped into his limo.

Mickey Mantle was the biggest jerk of anyone ever, though. He was purely a horse's ass. But, then this was common knowledge about him, and it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. (Ironically, six months before Mickey Mantle passed away, he had an epiphany with a change of soul. The new, humble, remorseful, and respectful Mantle was a marvelous human being after that.) At a baseball clinic for kids and coaches where kids paid $10 (in those days, parents didn't pay for things like they do for today's spoiled brats...if a kid wanted to attend something like that, he earned the money himself, got himself to the event) for a ticket, he was the only person there who refused to give anyone an autograph. Billy Martin, Harry-the-Hat Walker, Maury Wills (and one other) all gave autographs after the event was over. But, at least Mantle showed up (it was a Pete Ward, former Yankee, event), where Pete Rose blew it off.

When I was in college, and 19, I was tired of moving my autographs around along with my baseball cards and I threw them all away in a dumpster. Yes, it was me, not my mom, who threw away over ten thousand dollars in baseball cards (had about six thousand well-cared for cards from 1970 and 1971...., ironically, I ran the baseball card side of a coin shop in 1985-1987.....a year later I was buying airline stocks...a couple of back-to-back bad financial decisions, but I also bought financial stocks and kept plugging away. Some trial-and-error in my young adulthood.)
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 02-28-2014 at 04:31 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

9. Likes:

Dom Heffner (02-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    And you seem to always go against conspiracy theories, so it must be pretty damning evidence.

[I collected hundreds of autographs of NBA players (and the older globetrotters from the sixties/seventies) as they came through town. Once followed Nate Thurmond for three blocks asking him for his autograph (I was 13), being as polite as possible, trying to come up with a number of reasons why he would want to give me his autograph, but I didn't get it. Was in the hotel of the Knicks' team from '72-'73. Got every single Knick. But, the Knicks' players were always obliging. Got "Abdul"'s auotgraph where I was standing stairing at his knee while he was on the first step of the bus....ran around to the other side after that and got "Big O"'s. Couldn't get "Tiny's". "Don't give no autograph!", as he stepped into his limo.

Mickey Mantle was the biggest jerk of anyone ever, though. He was purely a horse's ass. But, then this was common knowledge about him, and it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. (Ironically, six months before Mickey Mantle passed away, he had an epiphany with a change of soul. The new, humble, remorseful, and respectful Mantle was a marvelous human being after that.) At a baseball clinic for kids and coaches where kids paid $10 (in those days, parents didn't pay for things like they do for today's spoiled brats...if a kid wanted to attend something like that, he earned the money himself, got himself to the event) for a ticket, he was the only person there who refused to give anyone an autograph. Billy Martin, Harry-the-Hat Walker, Maury Wills (and one other) all gave autographs after the event was over. But, at least Mantle showed up (it was a Pete Ward, former Yankee, event), where Pete Rose blew it off.

When I was in college, and 19, I was tired of moving my autographs around along with my baseball cards and I threw them all away in a dumpster. Yes, it was me, not my mom, who threw away over ten thousand dollars in baseball cards (had about six thousand well-cared for cards from 1970 and 1971...., ironically, I ran the baseball card side of a coin shop in 1985-1987.....a year later I was buying airline stocks...a couple of back-to-back bad financial decisions, but I also bought financial stocks and kept plugging away. Some trial-and-error in my young adulthood.)
    And I should have stuck with my no conspiracy theories! Looking at their site, some people have been posting all day.

Great, great stories Kingspoint. I enjoyed reading your post.

Here's the NY Times Article on Michael Wehrmann, in person collector extraordinaire.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/17/ma...alue-2000.html

The article also mentions a guy named Rich- he obtained Marlon Brando's signature for me, one of my favorite pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Just don't get Dom going on ghosts or aliens.....

13. Likes:

Dom Heffner (02-28-2014)

Just don't get Dom going on ghosts or aliens.....
    Or bigfoot...any of that stuff....lol

Or bigfoot...any of that stuff....lol
    I want to believe in bigfoot. I do believe in ghosts and aliens.

Yeah, I started. Lol.

16. Likes:

Dom Heffner (02-28-2014)

I want to believe in bigfoot. I do believe in ghosts and aliens.

Yeah, I started. Lol.
    I'm a kindler, gentler Dom Heffner these days. I only get riled up over pot and George Zimmerman now.

I'm a kindler, gentler Dom Heffner these days. I only get riled up over pot and George Zimmerman now.
    Well fortunately for all of us, I have no desire to talk about those things.

Back to the autograph thread....

I have hundreds, yet only three are on display right now because I am just too worried about the sun killing them (and one of them faces the wall - it's a baseball - just so it doesn't fade as quickly, but it will eventually because it is a sharpie on a baseball - I didn't have a pen and neither did he). The only two I have displayed that anyone can see are two photos that I took autographed by the players themselves. Literally the only ones in the world, so that makes them cool, right?

19. Likes:

Dom Heffner (02-28-2014)

Well fortunately for all of us, I have no desire to talk about those things.

Back to the autograph thread....

I have hundreds, yet only three are on display right now because I am just too worried about the sun killing them (and one of them faces the wall - it's a baseball - just so it doesn't fade as quickly, but it will eventually because it is a sharpie on a baseball - I didn't have a pen and neither did he). The only two I have displayed that anyone can see are two photos that I took autographed by the players themselves. Literally the only ones in the world, so that makes them cool, right?
    Ah, the sun. It's got me a few times. Most of mine are on display in a room we blacked out and made into a movie theater.

But with yours- pictures! LOL

Turn Off Ads?