Turn Off Ads?
Page 47 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: We are not mocking the Cubs enough

Re: We are not mocking the Cubs enough

Quote Originally Posted by bradmanuel View Post
    He was okay on the Reds but the ideas that 1. He was some Cubs legend after being there for approximately 30 seconds and 2. David Ross deserved a retirement tour really grated on me, and I guess we will have to keep hearing about this middling journeyman catcher for the rest of our lives.
    He played baseball? I knew him from Dancing with the Stars.

2. Likes:

Chip R (10-08-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

A little surprised Cubs exercised their option on Jose Quintana today. $11.5M for a 1.2 WAR guy....

5. Likes:

OhioRiverBarge (11-02-2019)

He still bangs

From Sahadev Sharma, Cubs beat writer for the Athletic in his latest piece, “ Brother, can you spare a dime for the Cubs bullpen? How about second base?” (that’s seriously the headline):

“This two-year non-spending trend has become a bit embarrassing for such a big-market team. It’s one thing for the Cubs to not throw their financial weight around during the winter. But to miss out on complementary pieces because the budget is so tight that upgrading the team requires trading players who make significant money? It’s not only laughable, it’s unacceptable.”

Source: https://theathletic.com/1475012/2019...shared-article

7. Likes:

Tom Servo (12-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by OhioRiverBarge View Post
    From Sahadev Sharma, Cubs beat writer for the Athletic in his latest piece, “ Brother, can you spare a dime for the Cubs bullpen? How about second base?” (that’s seriously the headline):

“This two-year non-spending trend has become a bit embarrassing for such a big-market team. It’s one thing for the Cubs to not throw their financial weight around during the winter. But to miss out on complementary pieces because the budget is so tight that upgrading the team requires trading players who make significant money? It’s not only laughable, it’s unacceptable.”

Source: https://theathletic.com/1475012/2019...shared-article
    They spent a lot of money greasing palms and buying up the neighborhood.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Jon Heyman
    @JonHeyman

Cubs have considered/discussed Jacoby Ellsbury. Probably a long shot but Cubs have a leadoff issue and Ellsbury is a surprise free agent after being released. JE hasn’t played in 2 years so before moving forward they’d want to gauge his interest/mindset.
    11:04am · 17 Jan 2020
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

The cubs should pencil him in as their starting centerfielder for the next three years.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

11. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-21-2020),wally post (11-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    The cubs should etch him in stone as their starting centerfielder for the next three years.
    I made a slight alteration...
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Jeff Passan
    @JeffPassan

BREAKING: Chicago Cubs third baseman Kris Bryant has lost his grievance against the team seeking an extra year of service, sources familiar with the ruling tell ESPN.

News story at @espn: es.pn/2t90bll
    7:02am · 29 Jan 2020
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

might be time for the cubbies to give heyward an extension, even though that beautiful contract still has four years left on it.

also, theo needs to lock up tyler chatwood before he becomes a free agent at the end of this year. can't let a talent like that just walk out the door.

15. Likes:

Frank Robinson (01-29-2020)

C'mon.. Cubs fans have always longed for another 107 years of not winning the WS. Only Bengals fans can compete in incompetence. Just 55 short years to wait to match em!
    Last edited by allpurpose; 01-31-2020 at 08:01 AM.

17. Likes:

Chip R (01-31-2020)

Epstein quit

Jed Hoyer takes over as Cubs' president of baseball operations as Theo Epstein steps down

The Theo Epstein era is over for the Cubs.

Epstein, 46, will step down as the Cubs’ president of baseball operations and leave the organization after nine seasons, the team announced Tuesday. General manager Jed Hoyer has been promoted to be the new president of baseball operations. The moves will be effective this Friday.
    Epstein's exit was big news but not necessarily a shock, as reports had suggested he could step down this offseason and Epstein himself had indicated he was unlikely to remain with the organization past 2021, which was when his contract had been set to end.
    What's next for Epstein wasn't immediately clear, but he suggested privately he'll sit out the 2021 season. Epstein sent a letter to friends in which he indicated he plans on "having a third chapter leading a baseball organization someday" while adding, "I do not expect it to be next year," Jeff Passan of ESPN reported. The Mets and the Phillies are two high-profile teams that are currently searching for a top baseball executive.

I sure hope the Reds go hard after him. Hate to think the Pirates, Brewers or sigh, the Cardinals get him. 30 years Reds last in World Series.

He seems to be nearing the age when moving his family to where his kids can spend more time with their grandparents becomes more important when I was his age my mother had already died my father died when I was just 2 years older than he is. Mets might make sense.
    Last edited by blumj; 11-17-2020 at 07:42 PM.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

It is a testament to what Epstein did in the past 9 years that this thread is 7 years old and yet only 43 pages long. That’s a rare feat. Theo kind of put this thread to sleep for a good chunk of the last decade.

23. Likes:

M2 (11-18-2020)

Turn Off Ads?