Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati soccer/MLS

Re: Cincinnati soccer/MLS

Portland's going to have to play San Jose without Fernandez, who got himself a red card today.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Crew ended the season with attendance up 19% despite a million things working against them. Should be a healthy season ticket base by the time the new stadium is ready, hopefully with a much better on-field product.
    I'm looking forward to seeing what the Front Office can do with a full offseason to deal with. With the new owners not having full control until after the season started, it felt like they played the first half of the season with one hand tied behind their back. It should be interesting to see who they bring in.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Just saw the end of the galaxy-whitecaps game. The winning goal for the whitecaps came in a counter where two whitecaps ouhustled two galaxy players down the field to play two in on the goalie. A goal was the result.
    It was shameful defending.
    The goal before was worse. Guy defends the back shoulder on a corner kick. Come on.
    The last one, they had been pressing hard for the winner after leveling it at 3 and just got caught.

Seattle and Minnesota are currently 2 and 3 and play each other this week. Galaxy play at Houston. So I’m rooting for the draw in Seattle and the Galaxy to win and they still get the 2 seed and I can forget we lost at home to freaking Vancouver.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Portland's going to have to play San Jose without Fernandez, who got himself a red card today.
    It’s very unfortunate. The Loons played KC Wednesday and they were dirty, chippy, they grabbed every ball out of bounds (even when the ref signaled it was the other team’s ball) and they flopped to get cards. I imagine there were some of the same provocations in your match.
    Then you add that Fernandez likes a little bit of provocation himself (unsubstantiated spitting on Ozzie Alonso) and its a matter of when there is trouble, not if.
    Too bad, good Fernandez gives your beautiful attack even more incisiveness. I really dislike KC and Seattle among western conference teams.
    Last edited by Betterread; 09-30-2019 at 09:32 PM.

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-30-2019)

For the FCC fans here, your team owes you an apology. You showed up for this season. They didn't. Happy to be here wears off real fast, especially in a city where the pro sports teams have been underwhelming. Hire smart people to run you team, give them what they need to get premium talent and MLS can be your oyster. There's no reason FCC can't operate like a big deal franchise. They're 3rd in the league in attendance. Something vastly better is required.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (10-02-2019),Kingspoint (10-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    For the FCC fans here, your team owes you an apology. You showed up for this season. They didn't. Happy to be here wears off real fast, especially in a city where the pro sports teams have been underwhelming. Hire smart people to run you team, give them what they need to get premium talent and MLS can be your oyster. There's no reason FCC can't operate like a big deal franchise. They're 3rd in the league in attendance. Something vastly better is required.
    Fans in Cincinnati are dying to be treated with a little respect. They will respond. They have a long sports history as fans.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It's going to require ownership to spend at a loss, which I don't see happening TBH.

The team was hit with a double-whammy of having to put up the largest expansion fee in league history plus begin the process of privately financing their own stadium all while playing in a rented facility that doesn't allow for any revenue maximization. And that doesn't even include the league mandate to build a training facility (which they've done, and by all accounts it's incredible) and start an academy in Year 1, which was a condition (I'm told) of the expansion bid being granted.

FC Cincinnati did themselves no favors by coasting into 2018 with a minor-league manager and minor-league front office, but I absolutely believe the league set them up to fail with the insane up-front costs to starting their MLS existence. Things were different when the expansion fee was $10-$20M and/or when you had municipalities handing stadiums out to anyone who asked.

The earliest I see FCC being competent is 2021, when the new stadium opens and they can start bringing in more money.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 10-02-2019 at 10:10 AM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

11. Likes:

membengal (10-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    It's going to require ownership to spend at a loss, which I don't see happening TBH.

The team was hit with a double-whammy of having to put up the largest expansion fee in league history plus begin the process of privately financing their own stadium all while playing in a rented facility that doesn't allow for any revenue maximization. And that doesn't even include the league mandate to build a training facility (which they've done, and by all accounts it's incredible) and start an academy in Year 1, which was a condition (I'm told) of the expansion bid being granted.

FC Cincinnati did themselves no favors by coasting into 2018 with a minor-league manager and minor-league front office, but I absolutely believe the league set them up to fail with the insane up-front costs to starting their MLS existence. Things were different when the expansion fee was $10-$20M and/or when you had municipalities handing stadiums out to anyone who asked.

The earliest I see FCC being competent is 2021, when the new stadium opens and they can start bringing in more money.
    Maybe they really are following the Minnesota United plan.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Unless you want to deficit spend out of the gate, there really isn't another plan TO follow for a new MLS franchise not getting public assistance with a stadium.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Professional soccer in Minnesota has been desperately hanging on to life since the demise of the Kicks. Minnesota United started in 2011. It rose from the ashes of the Minnesota Thunder to become a good NASL team with a loyal local following. Then it became an MLS team in 2017, located in St Paul, because Mnpls (who just paid for a new Vikings stadium) refused to finance another one. The owner, Bill Maguire, privately paid for Allianz Field.

I am only vaguely familiar with the FCC expansion bid. But MnUFC only paid $100 million expansion, not 150. Also, The team was a small scale success, so the first year they kept all the fan favorites and only signed a couple of expensive new players, and one got injured so, predictably, they were outclassed.
    They really didn’t have a plan for success until the 2018-19 offseason, but it didn’t matter to a lot of fans who were just happy the team graduated to MLS.
    They still don’t have anyone making more than $1 million, and the roster is a blend of US and South American players. Their best players are a left back, Roman Metanire (new to the league from Madagascar) and Ike Opara, a center back (a key part of KC for years). Those aren’t exciting players to the casual fan, so I don’t think people are aware how good the Loons are.
    They will have some key roster decisions to make after this year that will affect their direction in the future.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

"At least that would be a plan," comments the Orlando City fan. The fan support is there, the stadium is wonderful, it's an attractive destination for players from Central or South America... and five years in, the team's never been any better than it was the first day it took the field in MLS.

Oh well. The USMNT is playing there next month in the Nations League and I bought tickets in The Wall (standing section) just to see what that experience is like.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    "At least that would be a plan," comments the Orlando City fan. The fan support is there, the stadium is wonderful, it's an attractive destination for players from Central or South America... and five years in, the team's never been any better than it was the first day it took the field in MLS.

Oh well. The USMNT is playing there next month in the Nations League and I bought tickets in The Wall (standing section) just to see what that experience is like.
    The Orlando City Plan:

1. Sign Kaka
    2. Build Stadium
    3. ?????
    4. Profit

17. Likes:

IslandRed (10-03-2019),M2 (10-03-2019)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

The Orlando City Plan:

1. Sign Kaka
    2. Build Stadium
    3. ?????
    4. Profit
    Something like that. Multiple managers and front-office teams later, it eventually gets back to ownership... you know, at least those first couple of teams were interesting if not all that good on balance. They were kind of a knock-off Liverpool of that time, scoring and conceding readily and dramatically. When Larin, Rivas and Kaka were on the field at the same time, they had the ideal attacking trio of the box striker, run-behind winger and creative string-puller. Didn't win a lot but it was entertaining. Alas, it did not last long.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Love how the MLS gives teams a chance to get healthy for the playoffs where in the other sports, the playoffs are so often a matter of attrition.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Love how the MLS gives teams a chance to get healthy for the playoffs where in the other sports, the playoffs are so often a matter of attrition.
    I’m not sure they want to, there is just an international break this weekend.

21. Likes:

M2 (10-08-2019)

Turn Off Ads?