Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals Offseason Thread

Re: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    That's the high water mark, yes, if that thrills you.
    It does thrill me. It means I get to enjoy the heck out of a 17 week season and it punches another ticket to the dance. All I want is an invitation to the party. I'll take my chances with a different coach/QB combination. yes, I'd be thrilled with another run like that. It sure beats the heck out of 2-14 and talking draft in early
    Oct

2. Likes:

oregonred (01-01-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Have to add Reggie Wayne, Eggerin James, and Dwight Freeney into the equation with Manning.
    Nah, those guys are much more commonplace than top 3 QBs
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Nah, those guys are much more commonplace than top 3 QBs
    Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Can any Bengals fan give me a reasonable reason (this means dealing with reality) to be optimistic about the Bengals' franchise?

I'm not joking or being sarcastic. It's a legitimate question.
    I'm optimistic that they can get back to competing for playoff spots in 2-3 years, although I'm certainly not guaranteeing it. I'm not optimistic that they'll ever compete for a Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Have to add an OL to that equation.
    It's the very first thing they did with Peyton and they avoided it like the plague with Luck.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing the Bengals have always been good at....and that's drafting Left Tackles.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Should there be any concern that no coaching changes whatsoever have taken place?

I know Taylor isn’t going anywhere or Anarumo, but how does Jim Taylor still have a job with Bill Callahan on the market?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

"So Fla Red"

Being a Bengals coach offers more job security than a government employee. With January's off every year

10. Likes:

Bob Sheed (01-01-2020),North (01-01-2020)

Joe Burrow might be Andrew Luck-level and that kind of QB can lift even a dumb franchise

The Colts have terribly dumb ownership, but going Peyton Manning-Andrew Luck papers over a lot of that. Joe Burrow could be that good.

He might not be that level too, and it's asking a lot, but that's the case for optimism.
    Serious question...what exactly has the current colts ownership done that makes them “completely dumb”?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Serious question...what exactly has the current colts ownership done that makes them “completely dumb”?
    Hung onto bad coaches too long...repeatedly.

Never gave Luck an Offensive Line, basically wasting that once-in-a-franchise opportunity. Because it happened to them twice, they acted like getting players like Peyton and Luck is easy. It will probably never happen again.

Before Luck, it was constantly ignoring the Defense, foolishly believing that Peyton would lead them to a Super Bowl win every year. No greater example of this than the shellacking the J-E-T-S gave them in the playoffs.

They have done well in the last two, three years, though. They seem guided by a lot more common sense.

Even with Burrows, the Bengals show in every possible scenario that they will Bungle this opportunity to a degree far greater than how the Colts handled their Luck "Golden Egg".

With the Bengals, it's definitely, "I'll believe it when I see it".
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 01-01-2020 at 12:16 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

13. Likes:

North (01-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Hung onto bad coaches too long...repeatedly.

Never gave Luck an Offensive Line, basically wasting that once-in-a-franchise opportunity. Because it happened to them twice, they acted like getting players like Peyton and Luck is easy. It will probably never happen again.

Before Luck, it was constantly ignoring the Defense, foolishly believing that Peyton would lead them to a Super Bowl win every year. No greater example of this than the shellacking the J-E-T-S gave them in the playoffs.

They have done well in the last two, three years, though. They seem guided by a lot more common sense.

Even with Burrows, the Bengals show in every possible scenario that they will Bungle this opportunity to a degree far greater than how the Colts handled their Luck "Golden Egg".

With the Bengals, it's definitely, "I'll believe it when I see it".
    Other than Chuck which coach has he hung onto too long? I’m talking Jimmy not his father. He misjudged Grigson and I will say I think Jimmy was in a bad place with opioids that clouded his judgement. They spend picks on the line to build it for Luck he just had the wrong guy picking the players.

Sorry to hijack the Bengals thread. I’m probably in the minority but I think Taylor will be fine and the Bengals are on the upswing.

"So Fla Red"

Other than Chuck which coach has he hung onto too long? I’m talking Jimmy not his father. He misjudged Grigson and I will say I think Jimmy was in a bad place with opioids that clouded his judgement. They spend picks on the line to build it for Luck he just had the wrong guy picking the players.

Sorry to hijack the Bengals thread. I’m probably in the minority but I think Taylor will be fine and the Bengals are on the upswing.
    Well they could go 1-15 or 0-16 but by default they have to be on the upswing

Perfect plan (lol) to get the #1 pick. The Old Bengals would have pulled out another 4-12 or 5-11 December to Remember fraud of a finish

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (01-02-2020)

Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

They broke Andrew Luck, who is a once in a generation QB for any team - that would be my main point, but what do you mean "current"? The Irsay family has owned them since the 70's. Is it the narrative in Indy that Jim is better than his dad? That family has never been good ownership imo. Any franchise would have had the success they've managed to have with Manning & Luck. Probably many would have had far more - only getting to two Super Bowls in 20 years with a couple of QBs that good is brutal.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

They broke Andrew Luck, who is a once in a generation QB for any team - that would be my main point, but what do you mean "current"? The Irsay family has owned them since the 70's. Is it the narrative in Indy that Jim is better than his dad? That family has never been good ownership imo. Any franchise would have had the success they've managed to have with Manning & Luck. Probably many would have had far more - only getting to two Super Bowls in 20 years with a couple of QBs that good is brutal.
    Bob was an embarrassment, he would get drunk and come in at half time and rip the team and try and fire the coach. Jim is a good solid owner who hires football people to run the organization and writes checks.

Luck is an eccentric guy and honestly even had he not been injured I don’t think he was going to be a 15-20 year qb.

I’m totally not seeing the trade back and take Herbert view at this point - 12 for 17 for 98 yards and a pick at the nine minute mark of the fourth quarter - he has run in three TDs now - two short and one longer just now. Maybe he is like Josh Allen?
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Turn Off Ads?