Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds interested in Brock Holt

Re: Reds interested in Brock Holt

Derrk Dietrich, Scooter Gennett....This fits right in there. He could be nothing. He could be useful.

He's not an everyday shortstop.

Of course the budget is finite. Would you rather have Holt and trust that the reds have assembled the bullpen or have the reds invest the money into the bullben and give Blandino the at bats?

Or would you rather have bullpen help and Holt or your extra bat?

We would rather have all three, but the front office may have to make choices based on their budget.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

2. Likes:

Red Raindog (01-18-2020),REDREAD (01-20-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Derrk Dietrich, Scooter Gennett....This fits right in there. He could be nothing. He could be useful.

He's not an everyday shortstop.

Of course the budget is finite. Would you rather have Holt and trust that the reds have assembled the bullpen or have the reds invest the money into the bullben and give Blandino the at bats?

Or would you rather have bullpen help and Holt or your extra bat?

We would rather have all three, but the front office may have to make choices based on their budget.
    Holt will not break the bank, so I doubt his signing will preclude any other move they want to make.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Gotta admit, I don't see what Brock Holt brings to the team that Josh VanMeter can't provide.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

6. Likes:

dfs (01-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Holt will not break the bank, so I doubt his signing will preclude any other move they want to make.
    I don't think it's a matter of breaking the bank, but 3 million here and 4 million there and it starts to add up. I don't know how close the reds are to the top end of their budget, but despite claims from the front office that they'll spend more past performance has shown that they won't go all in financially. They haven't had that kind of ownership since Marge.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

8. Likes:

REDREAD (01-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Gotta admit, I don't see what Brock Holt brings to the team that Josh VanMeter can't provide.
    Defense.

JVM can play multiple positions. Holt can play multiple positions well.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    He gets on base.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

11. Likes:

PuffyPig (01-20-2020)

Holt last two seasons above 100 OPS+. Van Meter at 88 last year.

Wanting JVM over Brock Holt is old school reds fan mentality. Holt is a no brainer upgrade over JVM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

14. Likes:

RedlegJake (01-18-2020)

I think people are focusing too much on HR's to improve the offense. Reds were 7th in HR's last year and they have already added in that category. IMO, they need OBP players as much. They were12th in that. That's why players like Shogo and Holt will improve on that. Holt would be a plus.

I suspect that those against signing Holt are afraid that the Reds would stop there.

Holt's lifetime average OPS is 92, he's two years away from a 47. and he'll be 32 this season. I suspect he'd be a slight one year upgrade over JVM, so the question is how much to pay for that. I'd rather spend the money on the bullpen if that's even possible at this point.

17. Likes:

malcontent (01-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Holt's lifetime average OPS is 92, he's two years away from a 47. and he'll be 32 this season. I suspect he'd be a slight one year upgrade over JVM, so the question is how much to pay for that. I'd rather spend the money on the bullpen if that's even possible at this point.
    Any thoughts on who might be signed for the pen? Barring trades or injuries, three would seem to be locks, Iglesias, Lorenzen, and Garrett. Two are likely, Sims and Stephenson. Reed and Romano are out of options so they will get every chance to stick, else they would have been dropped from the 40 this offseason. That leaves Bowman, Smith, Kuhnel, Shafer, possibly De Leon, Powers, and the spring training invitees competing for one to three slots. It's not clear to me that they will pursue a trade or FA signing of any importance.

My interest in him soley depends on his ability to play SS. Can he "play" SS in the same way someone like Suarez could at this point? Or is he a legit option there, meaning if Galvis goes down with an injury for a month could he play it day in and out.

If he is a legit SS option then I would be for it. If he's mainly just gonna back up 2nd or 3rd he becomes much less interesting to me.

20. Likes:

757690 (01-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    My interest in him soley depends on his ability to play SS. Can he "play" SS in the same way someone like Suarez could at this point? Or is he a legit option there, meaning if Galvis goes down with an injury for a month could he play it day in and out.

If he is a legit SS option then I would be for it. If he's mainly just gonna back up 2nd or 3rd he becomes much less interesting to me.
    Good point. I had figured on Holt or Blandino providing backup SS capability for day to day rest. Longer term injuries to Galvis would likely require a AAA backup (gulp!).

An objective look at Reds infield leads to a player like Holt.

Their infield depth players - like VM and Blandino - are largely unproven.

It’s a must whether Holt is the guy or someone else.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-18-2020 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post

I disagree. Even if he's only a 300 PA supersub type, he gets on base and would easily be the teams best IF reserve. This team still needs a lot of upgrades and he is one.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?