Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Reds re-sign Derek Dietrich to minor league contract

Re: Reds re-sign Derek Dietrich to minor league contract

Ya, there is going to be 13 pitchers on this team almost certainly. That means 13 positions players including 8 starters. So that means a 5 man bench and 4 of those spots will be taken by a Catcher, 2 OF'ers and a backup SS. So realistically DD is only competing for the last spot on this team against JVM or a 6th OF'er or a utility guy (i.e. Aquino or whoever else).

Of course if Suarez or someone else starts on the DL that opens up a spot.
    Last edited by DocRed; 02-14-2020 at 11:37 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    So that means a 5 man bench and 4 of those spots will be taken by a Catcher, 2 OF'ers and a backup SS.
    Cincinnati is extremely likely not to go with a glove guy as a SS backup.

Kyle Farmer, Alex Blandino, and Josh VanMeter are guys that have played SS in the minors. Each of them have played that position sparingly. You could add Senzel, but the Reds have already said he's unlikely to back up that position. Suarez too, I suppose, though that ship seems to have sailed two years ago.

There is no other SS that makes sense on the major league roster and is on the 40-man roster.

I've got Casali as a lock and two OFs among the many on the roster.

That leaves two spots for a backup who plays infield and another guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    Or conversely, if Dietrich is on the team it means he’s probably playing well enough to have earned it since the depth is better and the alternative options are more plentiful.
    And I - as well as Bell (lol) - want good depth on that bench. It's become a very intricate aspect of the game (and good teams). Because I still have ? concerning Aquino (and Winker).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

Kyle Farmer, Alex Blandino, and Josh VanMeter are guys that have played SS in the minors. Each of them have played that position sparingly. You could add Senzel, but the Reds have already said he's unlikely to back up that position. Suarez too, I suppose, though that ship seems to have sailed two years ago.

There is no other SS that makes sense on the major league roster and is on the 40-man roster.

It's going to be interesting to see how they address the SS position after this season. Very interesting.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see how they address the SS position after this season. Very interesting.
    If Garcia doesn't fall on his face in AA and AAA, they'll likely go the one- or two-year free agent route.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

I could see Blandino as backup shortstop. Especially since Reds want to emphasize OBP, his strong suit. He seemed decent and comfortable at short. But I doubt Van Meter the defensive chops for SS. Farmer? Seems doubtful.

I’m guessing they look outside the organization. Reds have picked up backup shortstops from outside very frequently in their recent history. Last example was Iglesias who then got the starting job due to injury.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-15-2020 at 09:26 AM.

According to this Nightingale article Reds have until March 20th to put him on 40 man roster. If he does he gets 2.0 Million guaranteed with 1.5 million in incentives. Otherwise he can request his release. I assume that date was picked in order to let him get picked up by other clubs before season.

He'll have to impress quickly.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ll/4830531002/
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

9. Likes:

marcshoe (02-21-2020),Ron Madden (02-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    According to this Nightingale article Reds have until March 20th to put him on 40 man roster. If he does he gets 2.0 Million guaranteed with 1.5 million in incentives. Otherwise he can request his release. I assume that date was picked in order to let him get picked up by other clubs before season.

He'll have to impress quickly.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ll/4830531002/
    Might mean he doesn't have to impress, just show them he's healthy.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

11. Likes:

westofyou (02-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Might mean he doesn't have to impress, just show them he's healthy.
    He's a man on the hunt for a job

Turn Off Ads?