Turn Off Ads?
Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: Luhnow and Hinch suspended for a year; subsequently fired

Re: Luhnow and Hinch suspended for a year; subsequently fired

The Astros have accomplished one thing that I would not have thought to be possible: They have turned me into a Yankee fan, at least when the Yankees play against Houston.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (02-19-2020),goreds2 (02-19-2020),Larkin Fan (02-20-2020),M2 (02-19-2020),Roy Tucker (02-19-2020),The Operator (02-20-2020),Yachtzee (02-19-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Jon Lester also said that if it's just a piece of metal, then take his name off theirs.
    I took Manfred's comments to mean that the Astro's trophy in particular is now just a piece of metal, as are those rings. Meaningless. All other trophies have been earned and have meaning.

5. Likes:

goreds2 (02-19-2020),Ron Madden (02-19-2020),texasdave (02-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Oh I disagree mightily with you on that. This ain’t going anywhere, we’ll hear about this all season in my opinion. The Astros May get a lot of love at home games but they’re in for hell in every road stadium they play in this year.

As far as Manfred, the entire reason the commissioner role was created after The Black Sox scandal was because the sport needed someone independent of the owners who had far reaching powers to act in the best interest and integrity of the game. That’s why Kennesaw Mountain Landis got the job.

Sure the position has evolved, but a commissioner should still be worrying about the integrity of the game more than being an errand boy for the owners.
    One of the main reasons Landis got the gig was because he sat on an antitrust lawsuit brought by the Federal League against MLB. And it was mainly NL owners, the White Sox, Yankees and Red Sox who wanted a commissioner. Everyone else was loyal to AL president Ban Johnson who was sort of the de facto commissioner. When the Black Sox scandal became public Johnson basically ignored it and BOS, NY and CHI threatened to move to the NL. Landis and Johnson butted heads for a few years after that until he resigned after the 1927 season. Ironically, Johnson's fall from power came from protesting Landis's decision to grant Ty Cob and Tris Speaker amnesty for allegedly fixing a game in 1919. Lanmdis made the owners choose between him and Johnson and they chose Landis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-19-2020),M2 (02-19-2020),Roy Tucker (02-19-2020),westofyou (02-19-2020),Yachtzee (02-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Oh I disagree mightily with you on that. This ain’t going anywhere, we’ll hear about this all season in my opinion. The Astros May get a lot of love at home games but they’re in for hell in every road stadium they play in this year.

As far as Manfred, the entire reason the commissioner role was created after The Black Sox scandal was because the sport needed someone independent of the owners who had far reaching powers to act in the best interest and integrity of the game. That’s why Kennesaw Mountain Landis got the job.

Sure the position has evolved, but a commissioner should still be worrying about the integrity of the game more than being an errand boy for the owners.
    We still hear about Spygate, but most of these things take a life of their own during the dead period. There isn't a whole lot going on in sport right now and the start of spring training is always a pretty big national deal. I think MLB's bumbling of this situation is bad, but think it will pass once games start. In a couple of weeks you will have March Madness, the start of the MLB season, the NFL draft, the NBA and NHL playoffs, and then into football camps. Once things pick up, this scandal will head to the backburner.

Whoever the Astros are playing, there may be some buzz for that series, maybe at the start, but I don't think this will be an issue for a mid June Astros v Mariners game. No one wants to hear about this story constantly, they broadcast may mention it for the first meetings, but do fans really want to hear about the cheating the entire series long? When there are no games, the off the field stuff starts to dominate the conversation, when the games start, then the off the field stuff takes a back seat. Just as a reference two years ago during the Urban Meyer/Zach Smith thing, it was all everyone talked about in camp. It was brought up each broadcast when Day was the coach, it was brought up for Urban's first game back, but by November, no one talked about it. Sure it still gets mentioned from time to time, but most people have moved on.

As for Manfred, he may be a strong Commissioner, but I would doubt he is acting alone here. The other owners are mad, but I think they are fine with Manfred taking all the heat.

A 3-yr ban from post-season play for the Astros and then the Commissioner steps down. Players get to play and cash their checks, but post-season play is off the table.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

10. Likes:

goreds2 (02-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Doo-Rag View Post
    I took Manfred's comments to mean that the Astro's trophy in particular is now just a piece of metal, as are those rings. Meaningless. All other trophies have been earned and have meaning.
    Not at all. Ped users have their trophies. There is no asterisk here. Punish the organization.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Pennsylvania Little League district to drop 'Astros'

this is one of the dumbest stories I have seen....some people should not even be given the smallest amount of authority.

13. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post

this is one of the dumbest stories I have seen....some people should not even be given the smallest amount of authority.
    Why?

A Little League in California did the same thing. It is dumb but it reinforces the shaming of the Astros which is a good thing.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Maybe I’m just preoccupied with other stuff, but is there something wrong with me that I still can’t manage to care about this all that much?

17. Likes:

mth123 (02-20-2020)

John Tomase
    @jtomase

David Ortiz not happy w/Mike Fiers. "Oh, after you make your money, after you get your ring, you decide to talk about it? Why didn't you talk about it during the season when it was going on? Why didn't you say, 'I don't want to be no part of it?' So you're looking like a snitch."

They call me "chef"

^ I love when people pretend to have a principle ("you should have said something while it happened!") to support the argument opposing that principle ("you should never talk about it, snitch!").

20. Likes:

pahster (02-20-2020),Rojo Rijo (02-20-2020),Rolando (02-21-2020)

Yeah I get the clubhouse/team/brotherhood mentality to it but lets be honest, what player in their right mind is going to rat their own team out? That's moronic. Why would anyone want to create a hostile work environment for themselves? He would've been treated like a leper in that clubhouse.

22. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (02-20-2020),Larkin Fan (02-20-2020),M2 (02-20-2020),REDREAD (03-05-2020)

My first team was the "Senators"

Yes I am that old

24. Likes:

M2 (02-21-2020),Tom Servo (02-21-2020),Yachtzee (02-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    My first team was the "Senators"

Yes I am that old
    My first team was the "Redlegs" (not the "Reds").

I wore #49.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

26. Likes:

westofyou (02-20-2020),Yachtzee (02-20-2020)

Turn Off Ads?