Turn Off Ads?
Page 49 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals Offseason Thread

Re: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals

Even if Burrow thinks all these things, it's 5 years and then move on, probably with a record setting contract where ever he wants to go. He won't even be 30 yet - his first FA contract will be massive and if he's really this good he'll be able to pick his spot then.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Even if Burrow thinks all these things, it's 5 years and then move on, probably with a record setting contract where ever he wants to go. He won't even be 30 yet - his first FA contract will be massive and if he's really this good he'll be able to pick his spot then.
    Great prospects have been destroyed by franchises in far fewer than five years.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Great prospects have been destroyed by franchises in far fewer than five years.
    I mean, probably, but I think there's plenty of blame to go around when players bust, particularly in the last 10-20 years as things have modernized.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Right.

Plenty of blame to go around.

Open and shut case, Johnson.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

I mean, probably, but I think there's plenty of blame to go around when players bust, particularly in the last 10-20 years as things have modernized.
    Yes. It takes a lot of people for a QB to be successful in the NFL, just as it takes a lot of people to blow up a prospect. But, it's a fact that all such structures are based on the foundation or lack of a quality foundation at the top of the organization.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I would love it if the Bengals went after Tier-3 Free Agents instead of always the Tier-5 garbage pile that they try to comb through. People who claim that Free Agency success isn't part of winning organization have no idea what they are talking about. In order to win a Championship, Free Agency must regularly be used from year to year and at a minimum, multiple Tier-3 or higher players need to be added. The Bengals have never ever tried. They have in fact intentionally tried not to, guaranteeing failure year after year (if you didn't win a playoff game, your season was a failure, which is where the lowest bar is set by successful franchises).
    Bengals are like NBA teams. They overpay crappy FA or resign the same garbage we have and say, “Look, we spent more than you think on FA.”

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Bengals are like NBA teams. They overpay crappy FA or resign the same garbage we have and say, “Look, we spent more than you think on FA.”
    Yes. Part of Free Agency is not overspending on your own Free Agents. Pittsburgh, Seattle and New England regularly let these people walk, and rarely do they overpay for their own "crappy" Free Agents like the Bengals continually do. Should they make this mistake, they correct it immediately by cutting them or trading them.

Yes. Part of Free Agency is not overspending on your own Free Agents. Pittsburgh, Seattle and New England regularly let these people walk, and rarely do they overpay for their own "crappy" Free Agents like the Bengals continually do. Should they make this mistake, they correct it immediately by cutting them or trading them.
    Example: Donte Moncrief
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Where is the direction of this franchise coming from right now and what is the goal? That's the only thing that matters. This Joe Burrow talk just seems like the perfect Magician sleight-of-hand trick for the Bengals. I hear nothing at all being quoted by those in control about plans, directions, goals. It truly is the same old, same old. Joe Burrow is going to have a disastrous career because he was drafted by a franchise that seems to be able to control the minds of the people in the community who absolutely refuse to stand up to their continual B.S. This "don't talk about how bad ownership is" thread is a perfect example of this. The Brown family should be feeling so ashamed and uncomfortable right now that nothing short of an apology and a declaration that things will change outlining exactly what these changes will be should be accepted by the community. I can't believe how spineless Bengals' fans are.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ls/4804222002/

Wow, it’s getting ugly pretty fast. Any organization that cares would come out and defend themselves and have a plan of how they’re going to be better going forward. Snowballs chance in hell of that happening though.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Where is the direction of this franchise coming from right now and what is the goal? That's the only thing that matters. This Joe Burrow talk just seems like the perfect Magician sleight-of-hand trick for the Bengals. I hear nothing at all being quoted by those in control about plans, directions, goals. It truly is the same old, same old. Joe Burrow is going to have a disastrous career because he was drafted by a franchise that seems to be able to control the minds of the people in the community who absolutely refuse to stand up to their continual B.S. This "don't talk about how bad ownership is" thread is a perfect example of this. The Brown family should be feeling so ashamed and uncomfortable right now that nothing short of an apology and a declaration that things will change outlining exactly what these changes will be should be accepted by the community. I can't believe how spineless Bengals' fans are.
    I' think someone stayed up a little too late and found themselves in a YouTube video conspiracy theory hole. no franchise says who they are going to take in February, and Paul Dehner Jr. has a piece on The Athletic talking to Zac Taylor about some plans going forward (it's vague though because no coach is going to announce their FA targets for all to hear). I think everyone is on the same page that Ownership is a joke, people were just tired of everyone repeating the same S**t over and over that everyone already knows and would rather have a conversation about the team and not the stupid owner.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

Joe Burrow is going to have a disastrous career because he was drafted by a franchise that seems to be able to control the minds of the people in the community who absolutely refuse to stand up to their continual B.S. I can't believe how spineless Bengals' fans are.
    In all seriousness, what can the fans do? Other than not going to the games, what can we do as a fan? I think we’re helpless and hopeless. And, you have to consider that if you were born into it, you can’t get just stop being a fan.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

14. Likes:

Sea Ray (02-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I think you're missing the point entirely. Which is strange... I can't believe I'm typing this again, because it really is beating a dead horse to do so. But then, comments like yours continue to pop up. Again, really strange... Ok fine, here goes. Again.

It's not that the Bengals are bad. Plenty of teams are bad. It's the NFL.
    And it's not that they haven't won a playoff game in 30 years. Plenty of teams go through long spells without a playoff win.
    It's not what the Bengals spend on the cap. Everyone has to spend around the same amount.
    It's none of these things that people who really should know better, keep coming back to (for some reason).

It's Mike Brown. It's the fact that winning is not top priority, and that loyalty is rewarded above merit. It poisons the well from the top on down. You NEVER want to work for a company like this. I have. It sucks. People in management positions who are terrible at their jobs, only there because of their last name. Or because they were loyal. It's really just an awful environment to work in. Sucks the life right out of you. And all the money in the world doesn't make it any better. THAT is PRECISELY what Carson Palmer is talking about.

"Bad teams?" Are you freaking kidding me?

I want Burrow to sign here. But if he's smart, he'll find a way not to. Because unless he can walk on water (and I hope he can), Burrow will be ruined here, while Mike Brown wipes his butt with Burrow's 1-ply "leverage".

Burrow convincing Mike Brown to take steps that other NFL teams are taking to try to win a Super Bowl? Child please. Burrow won't even be able to convince Mike Brown to turn the PBS Office thermostat above 67.

And yes... But if it's such a dead horse, why do people keep saying uninformed things like what I quoted above from you?

Again... it's just strange. Especially coming from you. Because I know you know better.

"Bad teams..."
    How far would Joe Burrow have taken the 2005 team and the 2015 Bengals team? I'm guessing far into the playoffs and then we wouldn't be having this conversation. There was a time in the midst of that 5 yr run of playoff appearances that Mike Brown was being lauded for the organization he put together. He had talent up and down the 53 man roster and coaches like Gruden, Zimmer and Hue all who got head coaching gigs due to the job they did as Bengals.

The Bengals will franchise him twice. They'll control him for 7 yrs

17. Likes:

Redsfaithful (02-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ls/4804222002/

Wow, it’s getting ugly pretty fast. Any organization that cares would come out and defend themselves and have a plan of how they’re going to be better going forward. Snowballs chance in hell of that happening though.
    I’m not buying it.

Mike Brown is not Dean Spanos. Had Eli done this in Cincinnati, my guess is Brown would have sat on his draft rights until he signed to play.

It’s a slow news cycle right now for the NFL. This is nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?