Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2020 NFL Season

Re: The 2020 NFL Season

Word is that the players are going to kick this around for a couple weeks and then...they're going to approve it. A 17th game is coming. The NFLPA is so weak

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-27-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Word is that the players are going to kick this around for a couple weeks and then...they're going to approve it. A 17th game is coming. The NFLPA is so weak
    A 17 game season just seems strange. Why not 18?

It would be like if the MLB season was 151 games long.

One sidenote here... with each additional game, depth becomes more important.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Eliminate all Thrusday games. That's the only way the players union should agree to this, in addition to having two bye weeks.
    I agree but I would keep the opening Thursday night game for the previous years champion.

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-27-2020)

I think the players are getting some solid gains in the new deal

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    I agree but I would keep the opening Thursday night game for the previous years champion.
    And Thanksgiving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-27-2020),North (02-26-2020),redsfandan (02-26-2020),Rojo Rijo (02-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    A 17 game season just seems strange. Why not 18?

It would be like if the MLB season was 151 games long.

One sidenote here... with each additional game, depth becomes more important.
    18 is next.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    That wouldn't contradict the reason for eliminating Thursday games, so, yes. That's a winner.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    And Thanksgiving.
    As long as every team that played has a bye the week before.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Just listened to a full rundown on the upcoming draft of a question and answer discussion by Benjamin Allbright of KOA Radio, Colorado. This guy is good. Always love it when I can find a great, not just good, source for information. His NFL analysis is spot-on. Looking forward to hearing his views and information about the NFL and other sports in the future.
    In the interview a couple of days ago, he was asked, "Where is the best place for Phillip Rivers to go?" He responded just matter-of-factly, "The Colts and the Bucs would be his best match because of his familiarity wioth the coaching at Indy and things would be well set up for him in Tampa". So, today a story comes out speculating Rivers to the Colts from some website. I know the writer didn't hear the interview as it was local for the Portland area only. Colts make the playoffs last season if they had Rivers. Does seem like a great move for Rivers and Indy.

It would be nice but they usually don't do byes that late in the season, do they?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

We've always had NFL Thanksgiving games but only recently had byes. Why do they need byes now before this game?

15. Likes:

Chip R (02-27-2020)

In the interview a couple of days ago, he was asked, "Where is the best place for Phillip Rivers to go?" He responded just matter-of-factly, "The Colts and the Bucs would be his best match because of his familiarity wioth the coaching at Indy and things would be well set up for him in Tampa". So, today a story comes out speculating Rivers to the Colts from some website. I know the writer didn't hear the interview as it was local for the Portland area only. Colts make the playoffs last season if they had Rivers. Does seem like a great move for Rivers and Indy.
    The question is "how much does Rivers have left in the tank?" In less than a year the Colts have gone from planning on Andrew Luck to hoping for Philip Rivers. Goes to show how a QB impacts a football program

17. Likes:

Chip R (02-27-2020)

We've always had NFL Thanksgiving games but only recently had byes. Why do they need byes now before this game?
    Because we have learned so much about concussions, wear/tear on bodies with the short weeks, and the damage caused by consistent collisions in sports such as football. Plus the guys who play are so much bigger/faster than they use to they have a lot more impact.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

19. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-28-2020)

I don't know that the players are so weak, the owners know what they want. The players fight is for a bigger share of the profits, and that is all they really want. The owners know that, they know what they can get away with and what they can't. They know that any lockout or strike will hurt the players far more than the owners.

There has long been talk about how everyone hates Thursday night games. Players talk about it, fans talk about it, analysts talk about it. But the TV contract is so large that the players aren't going to give up that chunk of the pie.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't know that the players are so weak, the owners know what they want. The players fight is for a bigger share of the profits, and that is all they really want. The owners know that, they know what they can get away with and what they can't. They know that any lockout or strike will hurt the players far more than the owners.

There has long been talk about how everyone hates Thursday night games. Players talk about it, fans talk about it, analysts talk about it. But the TV contract is so large that the players aren't going to give up that chunk of the pie.
    I think the 17 game schedule is a bigger issue than the chunk of the pie to the players. Since I wrote that, several big name players have come out against it. Looks like it will be a close vote. Should be interesting

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

All true. It seems like the younger players are all for it because they haven't played long enough to reap the benefits of being an NFL player. Guys like Aaron Rodgers doesn't have to worry because he's set for life. Players with less than 4 years in the league for the most part depend on their NFL salary. If you haven't played 3 years, you don't qualify for the pension. If you're a young player who isn't making QB or 1st round money you're all for another week's pay. If you've had 10-15 years in the league it's not that important. I would guess when these players talk about the CBA the younger players could be persuaded by the older guys to reject the agreement because it's probably not done by a secret ballot.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?