Turn Off Ads?
Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041 LastLast

Thread: Luhnow and Hinch suspended for a year; subsequently fired

Re: Luhnow and Hinch suspended for a year; subsequently fired

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Maybe I’m just preoccupied with other stuff, but is there something wrong with me that I still can’t manage to care about this all that much?
    I haven't posted in the 30 page "Pete Rose is Angry" thread.

You know why?

Because I truly don't care.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    My first team was the "Redlegs" (not the "Reds").

I wore #49.
    My first team was the "Earls." Our local youth league had a unique method of naming teams. In the fourth/fifth grade, the teams were all named after feudal titles. We had the Earls, the Dukes, the Counts, the Barons, the Nobles, etc. In 6th grade, the teams were all named after muscle cars. I was on the Camaros, but there were also teams like the Firebirds, Mustangs, Cougars, Chargers, and Barracudas. It wasn't until 7th/8th grade that I got to play on the Reds and freshman/sophomore year of high school when I played on the Indians.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

4. Likes:

RedsBaron (02-27-2020),RFS62 (02-27-2020),westofyou (02-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    My first team was the "Senators"

Yes I am that old
    I became a Reds fan largely because there were no Senators. What was a kid in the early '70s in DC to do?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I became a Reds fan largely because there were no Senators. What was a kid in the early '70s in DC to do?
    How did the O's not get to you first?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    The Astros have accomplished one thing that I would not have thought to be possible: They have turned me into a Yankee fan, at least when the Yankees play against Houston.
    Actually I have realized that the Astros have also accomplished another thing, only slightly less impossible than making me a Yankee fan: I have rooted against the Dodgers since the days of the BRM and Tommy Lasorda, whom I loathed, but if and when the Dodgers play the Astros I will be hoping LA crushes Houston.
    I suppose I am now a fan of every team in MLB that plays the Astros.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

8. Likes:

Roy Tucker (02-21-2020),texasdave (02-21-2020),The Operator (02-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Tom Boswell drank mightily from that well until the Nationals came to town

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Not sure their games ran in the DC at the time. The Senators were newly gone, so the Orioles were still the team just to the north that had been kicking them in the teeth.

Meanwhile Game of the Week was the Reds more often than not.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Exactly the same for me, except I was in Norfolk/Va. Beach. Redskins, Bullets, Capitals,...and Reds. It was Game of the Week that reeled me in too.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

13. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-26-2020),M2 (02-21-2020)

I loved to hear Joe Garagiola opening the NBC Game Of The Week whenever the game was played in Cincinnati.

"Welcome to Riverfront Stadium Cincinnati, Ohio the baseball capital of the world""

15. Likes:

Chip R (02-24-2020),cumberlandreds (02-26-2020),dreghorntwo (02-27-2020),Edd Roush (02-25-2020),goreds2 (02-22-2020),Number_Fourteen (03-26-2020),RedsBaron (02-22-2020),RFS62 (02-27-2020),Roy Tucker (02-21-2020)

Re: Luhnow and Hinch suspended for a year

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

With these penalties (and the relatively short "investigation), I'd say people must have just admitted what went on.
    it may be that it is far more common then we care to believe.. perhaps this one came to light and they are doing there best to make it go away quick... can we really feel comfortable betting the ranch on this was a one time thing....

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    My first team was the "Earls." Our local youth league had a unique method of naming teams. In the fourth/fifth grade, the teams were all named after feudal titles. We had the Earls, the Dukes, the Counts, the Barons, the Nobles, etc. In 6th grade, the teams were all named after muscle cars. I was on the Camaros, but there were also teams like the Firebirds, Mustangs, Cougars, Chargers, and Barracudas. It wasn't until 7th/8th grade that I got to play on the Reds and freshman/sophomore year of high school when I played on the Indians.

My first team was the Delorme Dingos
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    My first team was the Delorme Dingos
    It didn't give you a taste for babies, did it?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

19. Likes:

Bob Sheed (02-27-2020),Chip R (02-27-2020),RFS62 (02-27-2020),Roy Tucker (02-27-2020)

My first year of Little League, way back in 1965, the teams were just named after our sponsor. I played for Wayne Sales and Service, the local Ford dealer. Other teams included local supermarkets and a funeral home. By my last year of Little League in 1967 those teams were also given MLB team names, so I was playing for the Wayne Sales and Service Cardinals, while other teams included the Morris Booten Funeral Home Giants, the W&J Motor Sales Mets, and the Asbury's Market Reds. I can remember being disappointed that the Wayne Sales and Service sponsored team wasn't given Reds as its nickname.
    Of course it could have been worse-my Babe Ruth team was named the Yankees.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

21. Likes:

RFS62 (02-27-2020),Roy Tucker (02-27-2020),texasdave (02-27-2020),Yachtzee (02-28-2020)

It didn't give you a taste for babies, did it?
    Yeah, that whole thing was a PR disaster for the franchise. We lost our endorsement deal with Sam Drucker's General Store.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

23. Likes:

Chip R (02-27-2020),cumberlandreds (02-27-2020),M2 (02-27-2020),Roy Tucker (02-27-2020),Yachtzee (02-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Yeah, that whole thing was a PR disaster for the franchise. We lost our endorsement deal with Sam Drucker's General Store.
    It's rough when you lose the Hooterville market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

25. Likes:

Yachtzee (02-28-2020)

Turn Off Ads?