Turn Off Ads?
Page 44 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals - non-owner complaining thread zone

Re: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals - non-owner complaining thread zone

They have until 6 p.m. EST to work in the office and get Wake signed.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Shawn Williams to LB?
    Why not? He was one of the better tacklers of last year's Defense, wasn't he?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Given how much this division wants to run the ball, getting better run defense was job one this offseason.
    They can all tackle a running QB now, something they couldn't do at all the last few years.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Make my day and add Wake or Robby Anderson.

Never in a million years did I expect any of these signings...Wow!
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

The Bengals have made some very interesting moves. Makes me think the defense could be better than I expected. But, I'm concerned that they don't seem to think anything has to be done with the offensive line.

7. Likes:

Boss-Hog (03-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Never in a million years did I expect any of these signings...Wow!
    The Reds made a lot of signings for guys that are actually good. THey're known commodities and they filled voids on their roster to compete with the best.

The Bengals are just spending money to spend money. My guess is they saw Reds fans getting excited about their season, got jealous of all the attention they were getting, and realized many Bengals fans were about to revolt if they didn't do something drastic. They've been doing this for years: When fans threaten to go away and they lose ticket sales, etc, they pull everyone back in by pretending to actually get better. We just signed a bunch of guys that 90% of Bengals fans had never heard of until we signed them and all of a sudden Bengals fans are excited because "we spent money."

If you notice, almost ever single guy they've signed are much better tacklers against the run but worse against the pass. The Bengals had the 32nd ranked run defense last year so they're pretty clearly addressing that. Unfortunately, they will be much worse against the pass next year as a result of this. We had an enormous problem that Captain Lou refused to adjust to in terms of defending the middle of the field. On paper, this team appears better. Our secondary isn't better than last year, when healthy, and our LB core is probably worse. Hopefully they find someone with pick 33 to play LB because we're now almost forced to pick someone there.

Field Yates

@FieldYates
    Over the past five offseasons, the Bengals invested a total of $49.98M on unrestricted free agents that didn't previously play for the team.

This offseason, they've spent $127M+ on such free agents already.

A new and welcomed approach in Cincinnati.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

10. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    The Bengals have made some very interesting moves. Makes me think the defense could be better than I expected. But, I'm concerned that they don't seem to think anything has to be done with the offensive line.
    They signed Sua-Fila and they are now wide open in the draft. And we may have to get comfortable with the thought that they think they have the right guys in-house with Fred Johnson to battle Hart at RT.

Also, having Jonah Williams immediately addresses LT.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    The Reds made a lot of signings for guys that are actually good. THey're known commodities and they filled voids on their roster to compete with the best.

The Bengals are just spending money to spend money. My guess is they saw Reds fans getting excited about their season, got jealous of all the attention they were getting, and realized many Bengals fans were about to revolt if they didn't do something drastic. They've been doing this for years: When fans threaten to go away and they lose ticket sales, etc, they pull everyone back in by pretending to actually get better. We just signed a bunch of guys that 90% of Bengals fans had never heard of until we signed them and all of a sudden Bengals fans are excited because "we spent money."

If you notice, almost ever single guy they've signed are much better tacklers against the run but worse against the pass. The Bengals had the 32nd ranked run defense last year so they're pretty clearly addressing that. Unfortunately, they will be much worse against the pass next year as a result of this. We had an enormous problem that Captain Lou refused to adjust to in terms of defending the middle of the field. On paper, this team appears better. Our secondary isn't better than last year, when healthy, and our LB core is probably worse. Hopefully they find someone with pick 33 to play LB because we're now almost forced to pick someone there.
    They consistently signed defenders who can tackle. This was a major problem for them last year. They jettisoned guys who struggled tackling. With so many problems, you have to pick your battles, and they are clearly making tackling a priority. Not a bad thing in football, especially with the success of the QB's from BUF, SEA, BAL and KCC.

What's the best thing a team can do for a young QB? Make it so that he's not put into a constant throwing situation because his team is either starting every drive from inside their own 25 or because they are behind by 12+ points. A Defense that limits the other team from scoring does the latter, while a Defense that creates turnovers and stops drives (creating good field position in both cases) does the former.

The Offensive Line could not be addressed as well as the Defense could be addressed simply because the players weren't there to add. Truly, what Offensive Linemen should they have added? Traded for, perhaps, but then you need a partner that wants something you have, while you are giving up a Starter in return. Free Agency gets to better the team without costing the team anything as far as personnel. They clearly aren't even done and they have gone far beyond anyone in the football world's imagination.

As has been mentioned, they have some talent they didn't have last year being added to the O-Line...a Left Tackle. While they have a Center they hope can take a 3rd-year jump, though for him, it's more like his second year because of injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    They signed Sua-Fila and they are now wide open in the draft. And we may have to get comfortable with the thought that they think they have the right guys in-house with Fred Johnson to battle Hart at RT.

Also, having Jonah Williams immediately addresses LT.
    What little I've read about Sua-Fila wasn't encouraging. Maybe he'll be good. Maybe the guys that they have now can be good enough. Seems like they're comfortable with them. And maybe I'm the only person that's concerned about the offensive line.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post

I was waiting to see how you were going to place a negative outlook on this. No way you can’t look at this free agency period as anything other than a success. The reaction on Twitter by folks who follow the game love several of these signings. If you look at the current roster versus last year the team is leaps and bounds better then it was. The plan was to find players who can tackle and play at a high level...the majority of those signed come from playoff teams. Seems to me that is a good plan. I think WJ3, Wayne’s, and Alexander form the makings of a nice secondary. Bates should be improved, and should thrive with Bell. Williams gives you flexibility at nickel corner. Reader and Bynes are solid up the middle, I have no issue with the plan.

Now I will say I wonder if Coach Lou is the best option to maximize this talent as he has had limited success.

What little I've read about Sua-Fila wasn't encouraging. Maybe he'll be good. Maybe the guys that they have now can be good enough. Seems like they're comfortable with them. And maybe I'm the only person that's concerned about the offensive line.
    I'm OK with some swings-and-misses. Can't stand watching G.M.'s act like Adam Dunn, rarely taking their bat off of their shoulders, always looking for the perfect opportunity that won't make them look bad.

If they start Sua anything more then 5 games they are in trouble...

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-25-2020),redsfandan (03-25-2020)

Solid plan in free agency frees up your draft...Bengals can go BPA and shore up the line. I am on board.

19. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-25-2020),RiverRat13 (03-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I was waiting to see how you were going to place a negative outlook on this. No way you can’t look at this free agency period as anything other than a success. The reaction on Twitter by folks who follow the game love several of these signings. If you look at the current roster versus last year the team is leaps and bounds better then it was. The plan was to find players who can tackle and play at a high level...the majority of those signed come from playoff teams. Seems to me that is a good plan. I think WJ3, Wayne’s, and Alexander form the makings of a nice secondary. Bates should be improved, and should thrive with Bell. Williams gives you flexibility at nickel corner. Reader and Bynes are solid up the middle, I have no issue with the plan.

Now I will say I wonder if Coach Lou is the best option to maximize this talent as he has had limited success.
    Now I'll have to eat my words if Lou doesn't do well with this group. I said before that players will respect him and play hard for him. I think he lacked some experience as a D.C. for an NFL team, but he's now had one year and should make his own leap forward in his second season. I love the guy.

Turn Off Ads?