Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 67 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

Re: NBA 2019-20: Hoopingest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Did you see Jonathan Isaac stand for the anthem and not wear the BLM gear? People may agree or disagree with his actions, but damn that took courage. He has been the only one....and he had to know the backlash in social media would be fierce.
    Nvm

2. Turn Off Ads?

Did you see Jonathan Isaac stand for the anthem and not wear the BLM gear? People may agree or disagree with his actions, but damn that took courage. He has been the only one....and he had to know the backlash in social media would be fierce.
    It's funny how the pendulum swings on what actions involve following the herd and what actions take courage.

4. Likes:

texasdave (07-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    It's funny how the pendulum swings on what actions involve following the herd and what actions take courage.
    I never agreed with Kap taking a knee during the anthem....but I have always thought it took guts to continue to do it in the face of the severe backlash. You are correct in that the guys that are doing it now....feel however you choose about their actions, but it takes zero courage. In the words of Antonin Scalia...."that was then, this is now"

Not sure if you are a country music fan, but when fans turned on the Dixie Chicks over their comments about the war.....I was one of those fans. Then a year or two later, they returned to perform at one of the major awards shows (Grammy's?), and everyone thought they would try to cater to the fans and get their careers back. They stepped on stage and performed their song "Not Ready to Make Nice"! I still do not like them....but that took massive cajones, and I respected the hell out of it.
    Last edited by adkindo; 07-31-2020 at 06:31 PM.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

De'Aaron Fox is having a statement game.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

Stray (08-01-2020)

Rockets scored 75 in the first half and are trailing the Mavs by 10. Not a lot of defense being played in this one.

On a mini roll in NBA DFS since the restart. Two nights and 6 tournaments well into the money. Coulda won hundreds or even into the thousands tonight if it weren't for one bad SG pick. All my other guys went off. Gonna be up around 175ish after tonight. But now I've jinxed myself and will pick duds for the next week.

10. Likes:

dubc47834 (08-01-2020)

I'm pretty neutral on protests as I don't care about the politics or social positions athletes have, but Isaac being grilled in his post game presser on if he agrees that "black lives matter" was bs. Choosing to stand shouldn't require an explanation or a defense, just like choosing to kneel shouldn't. I mean they're all adults who are presumably able to make their own personal decisions for their own reasons. Anything beyond that feels gross from journos wanting clicks. Anyone who knows anything about Jonathan Isaac and all he's done to help those in need in his short life knows the kinda dude he is. He doesn't need to explain himself or his worth to clickbait seeking journos.

12. Likes:

adkindo (08-01-2020),Kingspoint (08-01-2020),Rojo Rijo (08-01-2020),texasdave (08-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I'm pretty neutral on protests as I don't care about the politics or social positions athletes have, but Isaac being grilled in his post game presser on if he agrees that "black lives matter" was bs. Choosing to stand shouldn't require an explanation or a defense, just like choosing to kneel shouldn't. I mean they're all adults who are presumably able to make their own personal decisions for their own reasons. Anything beyond that feels gross from journos wanting clicks. Anyone who knows anything about Jonathan Isaac and all he's done to help those in need in his short life knows the kinda dude he is. He doesn't need to explain himself or his worth to clickbait seeking journos.
    I disagree. A lot.

Most of the country has no clue who Isaacs is or why he might stand instead of kneel. He becomes a story when he chooses to do something different. If he has something to say, we can all listen and perhaps learn. If it's smart, perhaps he changes to conversation-- or society benefits. If he's a moron who can't string two sentences together or makes obvious errors in his statements, we can disregard his thoughts.

Regardless, this is how (IMO) we learn about others' perspectives.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I disagree. A lot.

Most of the country has no clue who Isaacs is or why he might stand instead of kneel. He becomes a story when he chooses to do something different. If he has something to say, we can all listen and perhaps learn. If it's smart, perhaps he changes to conversation-- or society benefits. If he's a moron who can't string two sentences together or makes obvious errors in his statements, we can disregard his thoughts.

Regardless, this is how (IMO) we learn about others' perspectives.
    He stood for the national anthem of his country....it has always been seen as a sign of patriotism, respect and love of country for the largest most powerful nations to the smallest globally irrelevant nations. His action requires no explanation because the assumption would be that his actions meaning is the same as it has been for centuries across the globe for billions of humans.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

15. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-01-2020),texasdave (08-01-2020)

He stood for the national anthem of his country....it has always been seen as a sign of patriotism, respect and love of country for the largest most powerful nations to the smallest globally irrelevant nations.
    This is largely untrue. Most people who stand for the anthem of their country do so in order to wait for the concession line to die down.

30 Free Throws for the Grizzlies at halftime (50 for the game). All the Bigs for POR were given ticky-tack fouls (some where they weren't within a foot of the play) early in the game and throughout, leaving POR having to play light Defense for most of the game. If MEM missed a shot, they were given free throws. Even BS techs were called, once when C.J. was talking to his own bench after a make. It was so ridiculous, Stotts was forced to use his challeng with 6 minutes to go in the first half because it would have been Nurk's 3rd (Whiteside and Collins already had 3, while Melo had 2, Hezonja 3, C.J. and Dame 2 each halfway through the 3rd). Of course, the play not only was overturned, but a foul was called on MEM. But, that didn't stop the refs from continuing to whistle POR for non-fouls throughout the game, with Stotts left without any challenges (he always saves his challenges for the last two minutes of a game, so that tells you how bad it was. Whiteside came back in the game in the 2nd Quarter and was given his 4th. It was as bad of an officiated game there has been in a long time.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    30 Free Throws for the Grizzlies at halftime (50 for the game). All the Bigs for POR were given ticky-tack fouls (some where they weren't within a foot of the play) early in the game and throughout, leaving POR having to play light Defense for most of the game. If MEM missed a shot, they were given free throws. Even BS techs were called, once when C.J. was talking to his own bench after a make. It was so ridiculous, Stotts was forced to use his challeng with 6 minutes to go in the first half because it would have been Nurk's 3rd (Whiteside and Collins already had 3, while Melo had 2, Hezonja 3, C.J. and Dame 2 each halfway through the 3rd). Of course, the play not only was overturned, but a foul was called on MEM. But, that didn't stop the refs from continuing to whistle POR for non-fouls throughout the game, with Stotts left without any challenges (he always saves his challenges for the last two minutes of a game, so that tells you how bad it was. Whiteside came back in the game in the 2nd Quarter and was given his 4th. It was as bad of an officiated game there has been in a long time.
    And so it begins
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

19. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (08-01-2020)

Miami looked good today. Adebayo and Butler were All-Star caliber, and Duncan Robinson was monstrous.

They'll be a tough out, I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    And so it begins
    You have your head in the sand if you don't think 30 free throw at Halftime is anything but insane.

For some perspective, because clearly you need some here, MEM is not a team that goes to the free throw line. They averaged 13 makes per game this season. They had 30 attempts by Halftime, 50 for the game. The refs were clearly absurd in their thinking during this game.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-01-2020 at 05:47 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    You have your head in the sand if you don't think 30 free throw at Halftime is anything but insane.

For some perspective, because clearly you need some here, MEM is not a team that goes to the free throw line. They averaged 13 makes per game this season. They had 30 attempts by Halftime, 50 for the game. The refs were clearly absurd in their thinking during this game.
    That is a bit of a crazy stat. But what is also crazy is you thinking it’s some sort of anti Portland vendetta. It will be an outlier. Just a coincidence it happened vs Portland.

Turn Off Ads?