Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The Divorce Thread

Re: The Divorce Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    There's something reductive and clinical about online dating. I mean here's the best pic I ever took and I went to this school and have this job and this hobby. Whatever.

People should meet in bars. You can see how they look in all facets, how they move, how they interact with others and if it's not match there's no "should we do this again" awkwardness.
    My friends that are active on dating apps just use it to say “hey, want to meet at O’Sullivans at 9?” “Sure”

Then they go through the process you described.

I’m not defending it because I’ve been with my wife since before smartphones, but I really don’t think it’s as clinical as you think.

I have friends that have met their wives on tinder, thought it was going to be a one night stand and turned into more.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I met my current wife on OKCupid. She's the best woman I've ever known, and I look forward to spending the rest of my life with her.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

4. Likes:

RedsfaninMT (10-23-2020),Rojo (10-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I met my current wife on OKCupid. She's the best woman I've ever known, and I look forward to spending the rest of my life with her.
    Looks like someone forgot to log out of his account.

6. Likes:

Dom Heffner (11-07-2020),WrongVerb (10-24-2020)

They call me "chef"

Edit: I think I did “online dating” too long ago to offer relevant advice today.
    Last edited by Larry Schuler; 10-23-2020 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Edit: I think I did “online dating” too long ago to offer relevant advice today.
    I thought your advice was great, Larry.

I'd never thought about online dating from a woman's perspective (and how it tends to weed out some of the many jerks they have to deal with).

Dating strikes me as similar to baseball. We all assume the way we did it is the "right" way and that these kids today are doing it all wrong.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

10. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (10-23-2020)

It still all comes down to chemistry. Either you have it or you don’t.

Seems to me that online dating just speeds up the process. I met my wife at work. It used to be that you had to rely on Gump’s feather to blow you around and meet people at bars or church or work or the gym or set up by a friend or whatever. But it all comes down to either you have “it” or you don’t. If I was in the market, I’d use it.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Online dating is less than useless in my experience. Pretty actively harmful to my self worth.

It only prioritizes immediate physical attractiveness, and if you’re not that or even if you are but aren’t the most photogenic person on earth or don’t have friends who give a damn about photo ops, you’re kind of completely and totally screwed.

I’ve met way more women that I’ve actually been attracted to in person vs. Tinder or whatever. Every single person I’ve met through tinder I’ve had to force myself to be attracted to, because they honestly didn’t meet my real life standards, and they all had really unattractive personalities and treated me like crap. No thanks to any of that.

13. Likes:

Falls City Beer (10-24-2020),Rojo (10-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Online dating is less than useless in my experience. Pretty actively harmful to my self worth..
    Feels like a job interview, which is such a phony, degrading experience. Like i have to pretend to be such an ambitious, work-centered "go getter".

Whatever.
    Last edited by Rojo; 10-24-2020 at 06:45 PM.

Feels like a job interview, which is such a phony, degrading experiences. Like i have to pretend to be such an ambitious, work-centered "go getter".

Whatever.
    Your sunny personality is contagious

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I come across as the most pessimistic person to most people on this site, but I’ve been happily married for 25 years. My real life existence bears little resemblance to my (justifiably) curmudgeonly Reds‘ fandom. My students rate me among their favorite, most-supportive teachers. My classes have long wait lists.

Don’t let this internet thing fool you.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    And keeping with our times.

And keeping with our times.

I just can’t fake the phony sunshine up the ass routine. It’s possible I’m on the Asperger’s spectrum to some mild degree. My wife has wondered it aloud.

19. Likes:

Rojo (10-24-2020)

Having said that, I'm actually optimistic because I think Americans, at heart, are pretty decent people. Most recent immigrants, from East Asia, South Asia and Latin America think this too. And they're our future.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I come across as the most pessimistic person to most people on this site, but I’ve been happily married for 25 years. My real life existence bears little resemblance to my (justifiably) curmudgeonly Reds‘ fandom. My students rate me among their favorite, most-supportive teachers. My classes have long wait lists.

Don’t let this internet thing fool you.
    I'd buy you and Rojo a drink

22. Likes:

Rojo (10-24-2020)

Turn Off Ads?