Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 67 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Obituaries of Recently Deceased Major Leaguers Part Two

Re: Some Obituaries of Recently Deceased Major Leaguers Part Two

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    That team will probably win 100+ games in the regular season.
    That pitching staff alone would win 100 games in a regular season. McCormick as a fifth starter? Whitey Ford, one of the two or three best pitchers of his generation, as a third starter? Good luck with that. (And all five starters were hella-durable.

The offense is intriguing. Starting with Morgan and Kaline is a great way to begin, of course. Both had high OBP and slugging numbers. Anchoring them as the second and third hitters in your lineup makes much sense. Brock was an above average regular, of course. I'd lead him off for the speed alone-- and limit his base-stealing quite a bit. He and Morgan at the top of the lineup should end up with 50+ SB apiece, which would then improve Kaline's RBI and OBP numbers a bunch. But Jimmy Wynn and Bob Watson are the reasons this lineup would be so dangerous. Both are incredibly underrated hitters who would absolutely mash in a league average-ish ballpark.

2. Likes:

Big Klu (11-20-2020),mth123 (11-20-2020),RedsBaron (11-20-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    That pitching staff alone would win 100 games in a regular season. McCormick as a fifth starter? Whitey Ford, one of the two or three best pitchers of his generation, as a third starter? Good luck with that. (And all five starters were hella-durable.

The offense is intriguing. Starting with Morgan and Kaline is a great way to begin, of course. Both had high OBP and slugging numbers. Anchoring them as the second and third hitters in your lineup makes much sense. Brock was an above average regular, of course. I'd lead him off for the speed alone-- and limit his base-stealing quite a bit. He and Morgan at the top of the lineup should end up with 50+ SB apiece, which would then improve Kaline's RBI and OBP numbers a bunch. But Jimmy Wynn and Bob Watson are the reasons this lineup would be so dangerous. Both are incredibly underrated hitters who would absolutely mash in a league average-ish ballpark.
    I like Fernandez as the #2 hitter because he provides a buffer between Brock and Morgan, which allows Brock to be unleashed on the basepaths. Fernandez is also a good handler of the bat, and in his best years had an OBP north of .350 while walking more than he struck out, so he is also setting the table for the meat of the order. Additionally, he had good (though not blazing) speed, and could steal 30+ bases in a good year. But the biggest thing that Fernandez in the #2 spot does is lengthen the lineup, so that the Murderer's Row of Morgan, Kaline, Wynn, and Watson is now hitting 3-4-5-6.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I like Fernandez as the #2 hitter because he provides a buffer between Brock and Morgan, which allows Brock to be unleashed on the basepaths. Fernandez is also a good handler of the bat, and in his best years had an OBP north of .350 while walking more than he struck out, so he is also setting the table for the meat of the order. Additionally, he had good (though not blazing) speed, and could steal 30+ bases in a good year. But the biggest thing that Fernandez in the #2 spot does is lengthen the lineup, so that the Murderer's Row of Morgan, Kaline, Wynn, and Watson is now hitting 3-4-5-6.
    I get your point. It's certainly defensible.

I like Fernandez lower to balance out all the RH hitters and to give Morgan and Kaline-- my two best hitters-- the most ABs on the team. Fernandez is a lesser hitter than Wynn, and Watson-- he should, IMO, have fewer ABs. So he'd hit sixth in my hypothetical lineup. (Unless they do DH. If that's the case, he's a perfect 7th place hitter.)

6. Likes:

Big Klu (11-20-2020),RedsBaron (11-20-2020)

Ken Griffey Senior has said that he could have stolen more bases early in his career, but when he was batting second in the lineup, sandwiched between Pete Rose and Joe Morgan, he didn't attempt to steal as much as he wanted because Morgan didn't like for baserunners to try to steal while he was batting, as it apparently distracted him. This could be another argument to bat Fernandez between Brock and Morgan in this hypothetical lineup.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

8. Likes:

Big Klu (11-20-2020),Roy Tucker (11-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I get your point. It's certainly defensible.

I like Fernandez lower to balance out all the RH hitters and to give Morgan and Kaline-- my two best hitters-- the most ABs on the team. Fernandez is a lesser hitter than Wynn, and Watson-- he should, IMO, have fewer ABs. So he'd hit sixth in my hypothetical lineup. (Unless they do DH. If that's the case, he's a perfect 7th place hitter.)
    In the case they use a DH (personally, not my preference), I would actually use Fernandez as the #9 hitter to be a "second leadoff" in front of Brock and Morgan. The DH position would likely be a platoon of Claudell Washington and Bob Oliver:

vs. RHP
    Brock lf
    Morgan 2b
    Kaline rf
    Wynn cf
    Watson 1b
    Washington dh
    Taylor 3b
    Smith c
    Fernandez ss

vs. LHP
    Brock lf
    Morgan 2b
    Kaline rf
    Wynn cf
    Watson 1b
    Oliver dh
    Taylor 3b
    Smith c
    Fernandez ss

While Whitey Ford would clearly be the no. 3 starter in a staff that included Bob Gibson and Tom Seaver, in the rotation I'd probably slot him between Gibson and Seaver, thereby putting a softer tossing southpaw between two right handed starting pitchers who threw extremely hard.
    Neither Gibson nor Seaver would agree that he was no. 2 behind the other. I imagine Gibson would want a four man rotation while Seaver believed in the five man rotation. Both men would have to make some adjustments to the modern game, but I can't see Gibson reacting well if a manager tried to take him out of the game in the sixth inning rather than let Gibson go through the opposing order a third time in the game. Gibson would probably chase the manager back into the dugout!
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    While Whitey Ford would clearly be the no. 3 starter in a staff that included Bob Gibson and Tom Seaver, in the rotation I'd probably slot him between Gibson and Seaver, thereby putting a softer tossing southpaw between two right handed starting pitchers who threw extremely hard.
    Neither Gibson nor Seaver would agree that he was no. 2 behind the other. I imagine Gibson would want a four man rotation while Seaver believed in the five man rotation. Both men would have to make some adjustments to the modern game, but I can't see Gibson reacting well if a manager tried to take him out of the game in the sixth inning rather than let Gibson go through the opposing order a third time in the game. Gibson would probably chase the manager back into the dugout!
    I had Seaver, Gibson, and Ford listed in that order simply because that was the order in which they died. It was not any attempt at ranking them. Likewise, Johnny Antonelli and Mike McCormick (while not at the level of the other three) are comparable to each other, and were actually teammates with the Giants. Both would be solid #2 or #3 starters in a typical contending rotation, but obviously the #4 and #5 (or #5 and #4) in this rotation.

The bullpen, while clearly not at the level of the rotation, nonetheless is still a solid group -- led by the one-two punch of lefty Ron Perranoski and righty Lindy McDaniel. Don Larsen (of World Series perfect game fame) was very pedestrian as a starter for the Yankees, but better as a multi-inning reliever. And Ed Farmer and Bob Lee were both solid major-league relievers with closing experience. Antonelli and/or McCormick could also see some relief action as a left-handed swingman if management chooses to go with a four-man rotation for a period of time.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 11-20-2020 at 07:18 PM.

dan pfister deserves a shot at 4-14

11/28/2020...ex Philly pitcher and Tiger coach : Bob Miller, age 94. https://www.motowntigers.com/2020/11...ds-dies-at-94/

Attachment 16758

Quote Originally Posted by 50YrRedsFan View Post
    11/28/2020...ex Philly pitcher and Tiger coach : Bob Miller, age 94. https://www.motowntigers.com/2020/11...ds-dies-at-94/

Attachment 16758
    The 2020 Recently Deceased Team adds some organizational depth -- acquiring a pitcher who can start or relieve.

Transactions
    Signed RHP Bob Miller, and optioned him to AAA.
    Designated RHP Bobby Locke for assignment.

Lineup (8)
    C Hal W. Smith
    1B Bob Watson
    2B Joe Morgan
    3B Tony Taylor (was primarily a 2B, but also played 3B)
    SS Tony Fernandez
    LF Lou Brock
    CF Jimmy Wynn
    RF Al Kaline

Bench (7)
    C Don Pavletich
    1B Bob Oliver
    2B Frank Bolling
    2B Damaso Garcia
    SS Eddie Kasko
    OF Jay Johnstone
    OF Claudell Washington

Rotation (5)
    RHP Tom Seaver
    RHP Bob Gibson
    LHP Whitey Ford
    LHP Johnny Antonelli
    LHP Mike McCormick

Bullpen (5)
    LHP Ron Perranoski
    RHP Lindy McDaniel
    RHP Don Larsen
    RHP Ed Farmer
    RHP Bob Lee

The remainder of the 40-man roster:
    RHP Matt Keough
    RHP Bart Johnson
    RHP Bob J. Miller
    RHP Dick Hyde
    RHP Adrian Devine
    RHP Ed Sprague

C Biff Pocoroba
    C Ed FitzGerald

2B Glenn Beckert
    2B Horace Clarke
    3B/SS Kim Batiste

OF Gil Coan
    OF Carroll Hardy
    OF Lou Johnson
    OF/1B Angel Echevarria

Probable batting order:
    Brock lf
    Fernandez ss
    Morgan 2b
    Kaline rf
    Wynn cf
    Watson 1b
    Taylor 3b
    Smith c
    <pitcher>

15. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-30-2020),goreds2 (11-29-2020),HokieRed (11-29-2020)

12/1/2020...ex Athletic, long time Pirate coach: Tommy Sandt, age 69. https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/20...at-age-69.html

Attachment 16772

17. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-02-2020)

12/2/2020...ex Red Sox, Bill Spanswick, age 82. https://patch.com/connecticut/enfiel...aseball-player

Attachment 16781

Jon Heyman
    @JonHeyman

RIP, Dick Allen

Dick Allen

With sadness in our hearts, we need to share that Dick passed away this afternoon at his home in Wampum

20. Likes:

50YrRedsFan (12-07-2020),goreds2 (12-08-2020),Revering4Blue (12-07-2020)

That man could hit

Attachment 16795

22. Likes:

50YrRedsFan (12-07-2020),757690 (12-08-2020),cumberlandreds (12-07-2020),Revering4Blue (12-07-2020),Ron Madden (12-07-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    That man could hit

Attachment 16795
    156 OPS+ over 15 seasons, and not in the HoF? That's injustice!
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

24. Likes:

757690 (12-08-2020),mth123 (12-07-2020),Revering4Blue (12-07-2020),Ron Madden (12-07-2020),Tuff Nut (12-08-2020)

Turn Off Ads?