Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Offseason Slobberknockers

Re: 2021 Offseason Slobberknockers

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    Just curious, if Gray is on the market does that imply the Reds aren't interested in bringing in other established big leaguers? Thus, talks of getting Bryant, Snell, or whoever aren't realistic?
    I kind off wonder if the Reds don't need to shave payroll next season. If so, that would definitely preclude taking on a large contract or FA.

They have some contracts that aren't really moveable, so maybe they are looking to cash in and try to get something really good out of the guys who have real value, while simultaneously cutting payroll. That would mean Gray and/or Suarez.

The thought of trading Gray is not making me feel great about 2021 to say the least.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    I kind off wonder if the Reds don't need to shave payroll next season. If so, that would definitely preclude taking on a large contract or FA.

They have some contracts that aren't really moveable, so maybe they are looking to cash in and try to get something really good out of the guys who have real value, while simultaneously cutting payroll. That would mean Gray and/or Suarez.

The thought of trading Gray is not making me feel great about 2021 to say the least.
    The Athletic report that said Gray is on the market also said the Reds need to cut payroll. My conservative guess would be at least half of the games this year will have attendance restrictions, so I can see where that may happen.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

My trade idea that's getting the most "likes" on BTV...

MIN gets:
    RH Gray

CIN gets:
    SS Polanco
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I question BTV's values. Rentals seem to have way too high of a price tag.

Or are three years of Jesse Winker really worth one of Francisco Lindor?

Or, for that matter, three years of Sonny Gray for one year of Francisco Lindor?

Also, Tyler Mahle is apparently much more valuable than Sonny Gray.
    Last edited by podgejeff_; 11-24-2020 at 05:56 PM.

The NBA made a frenzy of moves this week and there's all kinds of buzz around pretty much every team in the league. Meanwhile MLB has done nothing. The hot stove is broken. This is a serious problem with the league.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

Mitri (11-24-2020),RedTeamGo! (11-26-2020),Revering4Blue (11-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The NBA made a frenzy of moves this week and there's all kinds of buzz around pretty much every team in the league. Meanwhile MLB has done nothing. The hot stove is broken. This is a serious problem with the league.
    I've been thinking this all week. I am a fairly marginal NBA fan (go Knicks?), but the way they've bunched free-agency with the draft in a multi-week media frenzy is fairly savvy. I've been checking out NBA news daily, it is captivating. The draft is always fun. And now they're only a handful of weeks away from the new season starting up again. Obi is going to bring glory back to the Garden!

Meanwhile, following MLB hot stove is like watching cows in the pasture.
    Last edited by Mitri; 11-24-2020 at 07:50 PM.

9. Likes:

M2 (11-24-2020),Revering4Blue (11-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I've been thinking this all week. I am a fairly marginal NBA fan (go Knicks?), but the way they've bunched free-agency with the draft in a multi-week media frenzy is fairly savvy. I've been checking out NBA news daily, it is captivating. The draft is always fun. And now they're only a handful of weeks away from the new season starting up again. Obi is going to bring glory back to the Garden!

Meanwhile, following MLB hot stove is like watching cows in the pasture.
    Some years, MLB hot stove heats up after Thanksgiving. It’s a bit early now to draw any conclusions for 2020.

I think there will be a fair amount of action. Particularly around the non-tender deadline.

Agree that it would be better if MLB could condense the off-season activity period like the NBA does.

Here is my slobber knockers since the Reds are in win mode:

1. Hunter Greene, Tyler Stephenson and Austin Hendricks to Tampa Bay for Blake Snell.

Think of the Matt Latos trade and this is the haul that would be required from Tampa Bay. But for Chris Archer, the Pirates had to give up Tyler Glasnow and Australia Meadows their top two prospects. For three years of control, the price will be steep.

2. Nick Senzel and Johnathon India to Cleveland for Francisco Lindor and cash.

Steep price for a one year rental but if you’re going for it now, you pay up. India has nowhere to play with Suarez and Votto at the corners for the next three years. Question whether Senzel will ever stay healthy for a full season. Reds take on payroll but with salary relief with Bauer gone and a few million sent by Cleveland, the Reds can squeeze Lindor’s salary in the payroll.

There you have it folks.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Here is my slobber knockers since the Reds are in win mode:

1. Hunter Greene, Tyler Stephenson and Austin Hendricks to Tampa Bay for Blake Snell.

Think of the Matt Latos trade and this is the haul that would be required from Tampa Bay. But for Chris Archer, the Pirates had to give up Tyler Glasnow and Australia Meadows their top two prospects. For three years of control, the price will be steep.

2. Nick Senzel and Johnathon India to Cleveland for Francisco Lindor and cash.

Steep price for a one year rental but if you’re going for it now, you pay up. India has nowhere to play with Suarez and Votto at the corners for the next three years. Question whether Senzel will ever stay healthy for a full season. Reds take on payroll but with salary relief with Bauer gone and a few million sent by Cleveland, the Reds can squeeze Lindor’s salary in the payroll.

There you have it folks.
    If I’m taking on the salaries of Snell and Lindor, I’d rather sign a couple of short-term free agents and keep the prospects. Philosophically, I’m against mortgaging the future. This team can’t survive that way.

I don’t like the idea of trading Hendricks so soon. You have to roll the dice a little on him. This time next year he could be a top 10 talent in the minors. He has that kind of upside.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

14. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-22-2020),Revering4Blue (11-26-2020),Rojo Rijo (11-26-2020),WrongVerb (11-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I don’t like the idea of trading Hendricks so soon. You have to roll the dice a little on him. This time next year he could be a top 10 talent in the minors. He has that kind of upside.
    Yeah don’t do this. Look at the Mets trading Kelenic, dumb move.

16. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (11-26-2020),Revering4Blue (11-26-2020)

Trade Castillo at his highest value:

Dodgers get:
    Castillo
    Iglesias

Reds get:
    Lux
    May

Use the savings from that trade and not resigning disco to sign Bauer. This trade works based on baseball trade value website

or...

LAA get
    Castillo
    Iglesias

Reds get:
    CF Adell
    SS Darren Fletcher
    P Griffin Canning

Ditto with signing Bauer. Also works on baseball trade value

Also

Blue Jays get
    Castillo
    Iglesias

Reds get
    Bo Bichette
    Simeon woods Richardson

Or

Padres get
    Castillo
    Iglesias

Reds get
    Patino
    Paddock
    Luis campusano

Then turn around and trade lodolo plus for a ss
    Last edited by Spuds Mckenzie; 11-26-2020 at 11:25 AM.
    Yeah I know it's mackenzie

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Hmmm...let's hand the Angels two aces while dumping salary:

LAA gets:
    RH Castillo
    RH Gray
    2b Moustakas
    OF Castellanos
    Cash

CIN gets:
    OF Adell
    SS Fletcher
    RH Canning

And then send Suarez to the Nats...

WAS gets:
    3b Suarez

CIN gets:
    IF Garcia
    RH Crowe
    SS Cluff
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Hmmm...let's hand the Angels two aces while dumping salary:

LAA gets:
    RH Castillo
    RH Gray
    2b Moustakas
    OF Castellanos
    Cash

CIN gets:
    OF Adell
    SS Fletcher
    RH Canning

And then send Suarez to the Nats...

WAS gets:
    3b Suarez

CIN gets:
    IF Garcia
    RH Crowe
    SS Cluff
    I think the Reds could get more talent out of those three guys than you have coming back. I’d pass.

Suarez for Robles+

Moose to 3B. Senzel to 2B.

Sign Didi with the Geno money.

That could be an interesting new look team with a single move.

21. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-22-2020)

Turn Off Ads?