Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: John Sadak, Barry Larkin, AND Chris Welsh

Re: John Sadak, Barry Larkin, AND Chris Welsh

I thought Sadak, Welsh and Jim Day were great together last night. You got the sense they were all totally relaxed with each other, a very different vibe from when you-know-who was in the booth. Sadak could still maybe dial it back a little at times, but I guess he can't help that he's a goofball, so at least he's not an unlikable goofball.
    Last edited by TexasRedsFan; 04-10-2021 at 02:08 PM.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-10-2021),Roy Tucker (04-10-2021),wlf WV (04-13-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I just realized - the crew isn’t traveling. So it’s a bit odd that they divvy up the games between Larkin and Welsh based on home and away. I guess you have to decide somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I just realized - the crew isn’t traveling. So it’s a bit odd that they divvy up the games between Larkin and Welsh based on home and away. I guess you have to decide somehow.
    I was moreso wondering what Jim Day's purpose for away games is. I'm not complaining, I really like him as the roving third man, but what exactly is he supposed to contribute if he's not actually roving?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I was moreso wondering what Jim Day's purpose for away games is. I'm not complaining, I really like him as the roving third man, but what exactly is he supposed to contribute if he's not actually roving?
    His impression of Jerry Narron
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

7. Likes:

dabvu2498 (04-10-2021),JFLegal (04-11-2021),Tom Servo (04-11-2021)

I really hope after Covid they don't start just having them announce from the studios as a cost saving measure. I greatly prefer them at the games.

9. Likes:

0-2 Count (04-12-2021),wlf WV (04-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    I really hope after Covid they don't start just having them announce from the studios as a cost saving measure. I greatly prefer them at the games.
    I didn’t notice a difference yesterday till Welsh brought it up late in the game.

11. Likes:

goreds2 (04-10-2021),Tom Servo (04-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedsFan View Post
    I thought Sadak, Welsh and Jim Day were great together last night. You got the sense they were all totally relaxed with each other, a very different vibe from when you-know-who was in the booth. Sadak could still maybe dial it back a little at times, but I guess he can't help that he's a goofball, so at least he's not an unlikable goofball.
    Agreed. It was the best broadcast so far. I love Larkin the player, but as a broadcaster...eh. Maybe in small doses. I don't think he should be doing every home game. Much prefer Welsh doing more.

13. Likes:

Bob Sheed (04-10-2021),goreds2 (04-10-2021),Roy Tucker (04-10-2021),TexasRedsFan (04-10-2021),wlf WV (04-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    His impression of Jerry Narron
    he's a baseball guy.

I think part of the reason why Larkin bemoans the shift, is because as a player, he just had incredible bat control.
    He could easily pull the ball or go opposite field at will. I am guessing that maybe he doesn't realize that few players in today's game can do that.. Baseball went homer happy and then the shift was made in response to all the LH pull hitters.. Unless they change the rules, it's going to take time for offenses to change. I remember, one game, Welsh told a story about how he went into the Reds clubhouse and asked some of the guys.. If you went up to bat 10 times against the shift and bunted on the 3b side every time, how many hits do you think you'd get.. One guy said 2, the rest said zero.. To me, bunting against the shift should be a no brainer.. Yes, it might take time for the guys to learn to do it, but they just had all winter. If they bunted against the shift all the time and were competent at it, their OBP would raise to the point where teams would have to play a guy at 3b.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Chris Welsh
    @thinkpitch
    Late night baseball from the west coast as
    @Reds @SFGiants battle it out at Oracle Park. I'll be on the call tonight with @TommyThrall
    on the radio side. Hope you can join us across the Reds Radio Network.

Really seems like Welch is being phased out. Very disappointing.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

18. Likes:

wlf WV (04-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Really seems like Welch is being phased out. Very disappointing.
    Welsh turns 66 tomorrow and his voice in noticeably weaker to me. Maybe he's looking to cut back and this is just part of the transition. I like Welsh better than Brantley and Larkin as a color man, but there could be lots of reasons.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

20. Likes:

wlf WV (04-13-2021)

Yeah, I think Chris may have a hand in this. If not I just don’t get it, because Welsh brings intelligent incite, opinions, humor, and experience, incorporated with self depreciation. The self deprecation shows a respect for the game and fellow men.
    May the Lord bless

22. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Welsh turns 66 tomorrow and his voice in noticeably weaker to me. Maybe he's looking to cut back and this is just part of the transition. I like Welsh better than Brantley and Larkin as a color man, but there could be lots of reasons.
    Marty got advice from Harry Kalas to slow down, as well as conversations with Vin Scully if I recall correctly.

Welsh is no dummy - he's adjusting is schedule on his terms after being in the booth for decades much like Marty did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedsFan View Post
    Sadak dropped a "Saved By the Bell" reference to Zack and Kelly and Slater when talking the Giants Austin Slater. Mercy this dude is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Turn Off Ads?