Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast

Thread: The Rotation

Re: The Rotation

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Though it's also because he's getting used in situations where he's got some leverage. Scores real high in WP/LI and RE24 too. There is extra value to thriving in the innings where he's pitching. Also, the slightly shorter outings in the pen allow him to go full-tilt. So the tradeoff is higher leverage and probably better performance for fewer IP. FWIW, I'm fine either way they want to use him, but I'd keep him as a bullpen hammer.
    What Miley said is real too: after his 86, Antone probably looked about 115. That's one form of leverage. Antone's role, though, still seems caught up in all kinds of contingencies: first of which is whether Sonny Gray is going to be able to go regularly. If not--and let's hope that's not the case--then Antone's got to go to the rotation, IMO. I'd say at the moment the other variable is Hoffman. If Gray is ok, and Hoffman can be a 5, then they can use Antone in the variable relief mode. On Hoffman, thoiugh, that's a big if, though possible.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Though it's also because he's getting used in situations where he's got some leverage. Scores real high in WP/LI and RE24 too. There is extra value to thriving in the innings where he's pitching. Also, the slightly shorter outings in the pen allow him to go full-tilt. So the tradeoff is higher leverage and probably better performance for fewer IP. FWIW, I'm fine either way they want to use him, but I'd keep him as a bullpen hammer.
    What happens to the leverage when it’s been a few days since he last pitched and the Reds are blowing their opponents out of the water or vice-versa? You always need a starting pitcher...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    What happens to the leverage when it’s been a few days since he last pitched and the Reds are blowing their opponents out of the water or vice-versa? You always need a starting pitcher...
    You invariably get far more medium and high leverage bullpen opportunities at the team level than starting opportunities for a single SP. As a team the Reds have 6 medium leverage opportunities so far (Antone has handled 3 of them). He'd only have two starts. And they've had 7 high leverage opportunities (Antone's handled none of them). On aggregate those chances will be there.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (04-16-2021)

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__
    ·
    20m
    David Bell says Sonny Gray will start Friday or Saturday.

7. Likes:

goreds2 (04-13-2021)

Fortunately, no one was that insane. I still can't explain the modern insanity regarding Price.
    Reds were tanking. They were resigned to losing anyway. Why fire price and have to pay him and somebody else when they are going to lose no matter what? Once they decided to stop tanking, they got rid of him.

In that whole 2016 - 2018 period, keeping Price was one of the least objectionable things they did. Rushing and ruining all the young arms because they refused to sign a legit big league arm or two, wasting Votto's prime, Jose freaking Peraza, Billy Hamilton rushed and then allowed to flounder, giving away Chapman...I can think of a ton of awful decisions this team made in that time.
    Last edited by mth123; 04-14-2021 at 09:09 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

9. Likes:

757690 (04-13-2021),REDREAD (04-16-2021),Revering4Blue (04-13-2021)

Put me down for Antone staying in the pen. It's thin as a razor blade out there and without him it will be a real mess. I hope Lorenzen goes out there too if he ever comes back. If tehy don't like Hoffman or Deleon, I'd give Fulmer a look.A terrible fifth starter will lose less games than a pen that can't cover 4 innings every day.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

11. Likes:

REDREAD (04-16-2021),Revering4Blue (04-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Reds were tanking. They were resigned to losing anyway. Why fire price and have to pay him and somebody else when they are going to lose no matter what? Once they decided to stop tanking, they got rid of him.

In that whole 2016 - 2018 period, keeping Price was one of the least objectionable things they did. Rushing and ruining all the young arms becaus eteh refused to sign a lefit big league arm or two, wasting Votto's prime, Jose freaking Peraza, Billy Hamilton rushed and then allowed to flounder, giving away Chapman...I can think of a ton of awful decisions this team made in that time.
    Easy, they should have fired him because he was terrible at player development.

13. Likes:

HokieRed (04-14-2021),Tom Servo (04-13-2021),Wonderful Monds (04-14-2021)

So he fit in perfectly with the rest of the organization.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

15. Likes:

M2 (04-13-2021),REDREAD (04-16-2021),Revering4Blue (04-13-2021)

He probably was, but the terrible player development was rooted in rushing all the young arms because they refused to go out and sign a couple veteran guys to fill the innings. They even ruined Homer Bailey's comeback by rushing him back less than a year from his surgery. I guess I just think it wasn't as much on Price as it was the entire organization. It all needed cleaned out, so Price probably had to go, but I don't think a different manager in those years would have changed a thing. They changed everybody else including the pitchers themselves and that's how it improved. Firing Price wasn't the reason.

17. Likes:

REDREAD (04-16-2021),Revering4Blue (04-14-2021)

Hopefully Saturday. Rather have him take De Leons spot

It all needed cleaned out, so Price probably had to go, but I don't think a different manager in those years would have changed a thing. They changed everybody else including the pitchers themselves and that's how it improved.
    I'd have liked to find out.

20. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-14-2021)

I'd have liked to find out.
    Price just had the deer in headlines out of his depth feel his entire tenure...even with highly flawed teams.

22. Likes:

M2 (04-14-2021)

Put me down for Antone staying in the pen. It's thin as a razor blade out there and without him it will be a real mess. I hope Lorenzen goes out there too if he ever comes back. If tehy don't like Hoffman or Deleon, I'd give Fulmer a look.A terrible fifth starter will lose less games than a pen that can't cover 4 innings every day.
    Yep I agree. Hoffman has to hold because the Reds cannot afford to lose Antone in the pen. They really need Lorenzen and Gray right now and they should have kept Archie Bradley.

[QUOTE=Hamilton95;4230516]Yep I agree. Hoffman has to hold because the Reds cannot afford to lose Antone in the pen. They really need Lorenzen and Gray right now and they should have kept Archie Bradley.

Archie Bradley is on the IL.
    Phillies right-hander Archie Bradley said he does not know when he will rejoin the Phillies’ bullpen because he does not know the severity of his strained left oblique.

Oblique injuries can be tricky. The last four Phillies pitchers to be on the injured list with oblique injuries are Cliff Lee in 2012 (missed 20 days), Joe Blanton in '10 (38 days), Clay Condrey in '09 (28 and 54 days) and Ryan Madson in '07 (18 days).

Bradley signed a one-year, $6 million contract with the Phillies in the offseason. He has allowed four hits, two runs and one walk and struck out three in three innings. He said he first felt something in the oblique after allowing two hits and one run in one-third inning Saturday in a 5-4 loss to the Braves at Truist Park in Atlanta.

Bradley’s fastball has averaged 93 mph through four appearances after averaging 94.2 mph last season and 95.5 mph in 2019.
    Todd Zolecki mlb.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton95 View Post
    Yep I agree. Hoffman has to hold because the Reds cannot afford to lose Antone in the pen. They really need Lorenzen and Gray right now and they should have kept Archie Bradley.
    I would also suggest the Reds trade on of the 6 starting outfielders they have while they are hot. Probably Naquin for pitching.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Ron Madden;4230517]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton95 View Post

Archie Bradley is on the IL.

Todd Zolecki mlb.com
    Well maybe they dodged a bullet.

Turn Off Ads?