Turn Off Ads?
Page 49 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 Part XII

Re: Covid-19 Part XII

The Braves are allowing 100% capacity starting this weekend? I think that's great and wish we could do that here

https://www.talkingchop.com/2021/4/2...starting-may-7

2. Likes:

goreds2 (05-05-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Case numbers around the country are looking great. Death numbers are still awfully grim. With the numbers we have vaccinated (and the fact that all people in the vulnerable SHOULD be vaccinated), it's surprising deaths have stayed so high. I thought they would have fallen off the cliff by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Case numbers around the country are looking great. Death numbers are still awfully grim. With the numbers we have vaccinated (and the fact that all people in the vulnerable SHOULD be vaccinated), it's surprising deaths have stayed so high. I thought they would have fallen off the cliff by now.
    With less than a third of the country fully vaccinated, and less than half vaccinated at all, it isn’t that surprising. Basically the virus is still spreading, still killing those who are not vaccinated, and that’s a lot of people still.

Some optimistic news, Michael Osterholm, who has been rather accurate with his assessments of situations during this pandemic, said on TV that we don’t need to get herd immunity for life to get back to next to normal. If a majority of the country is vaccinated, but we aren’t at herd immunity, we will still be able to live with the virus at minimal risk, and that risk really will be just for those not vaccinated. Some minor protocols will likely still be in place, but he said everything could be open, stadiums can be full, schools can be full, and people can get back to their everyday lives. He hopes that will incentivize more people to get vaccinated.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

All the people who are at a significant risk of death SHOULD have been vaccinated by now, though.

All the people who are at a significant risk of death SHOULD have been vaccinated by now, though.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...younger-adults

After spending much of the past year tending to elderly patients, doctors are seeing a clear demographic shift: young and middle-aged adults make up a growing share of the patients in COVID-19 hospital wards.

It's both a sign of the country's success in protecting the elderly through vaccination and an urgent reminder that younger generations will pay a heavy price if the outbreak is allowed to simmer in communities across the country.

"We're now seeing people in their 30s, 40s and 50s — young people who are really sick," says Dr. Vishnu Chundi, an infectious disease physician and chair of the Chicago Medical Society's COVID-19 task force. "Most of them make it, but some do not. ... I just lost a 32-year-old with two children, so it's heartbreaking."

Yes, younger people die. At much, much lower rates, and often with comorbidities. And those are also people that should have been vaccinated.

Yes, younger people die. At much, much lower rates, and often with comorbidities. And those are also people that should have been vaccinated.
    While deaths are still high, they are at 1/5 of what they were at the beginning of the year. And that is almost all due to vaccinations. Deaths reduced by 80% with only a third fully vaccinated. That seems about right to me, since as you said, it’s the most vulnerable that are vaccinated.

I do share your concern that they have leveled off and don’t seem to be declining, after a big drop. Hopefully, after we reach over 50% fully vaccinated, we will see that, but that is just hope on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    With less than a third of the country fully vaccinated, and less than half vaccinated at all, it isn’t that surprising. Basically the virus is still spreading, still killing those who are not vaccinated, and that’s a lot of people still.

Some optimistic news, Michael Osterholm, who has been rather accurate with his assessments of situations during this pandemic, said on TV that we don’t need to get herd immunity for life to get back to next to normal. If a majority of the country is vaccinated, but we aren’t at herd immunity, we will still be able to live with the virus at minimal risk, and that risk really will be just for those not vaccinated. Some minor protocols will likely still be in place, but he said everything could be open, stadiums can be full, schools can be full, and people can get back to their everyday lives. He hopes that will incentivize more people to get vaccinated.
    That's my thinking. The "herd immunity" that is often mentioned (and would take 70-80% to be vaccinated) would pretty much eliminate COVID. However, at a vax rate of 50-60%, I think we will see COVID fade into the background, if you will.

Yes, they should. But I am hearing some very disturbing first hand stories about some of the elderly. My gf's best friend has parents in an assisted living facility, and they were quarantined in their rooms for 8 weeks because one patient wasn't vaccinated because her slack jawed hillbilly son had power of attorney and wouldn't let them vaccinate her. Obviously he wants her to die so he can get her money, but it as at the expense of everyone else.

Another daughter has been terrorizing her 70 year old mom about the vaccine to the point where she had to sneak out and get the vaccine without telling anyone. Who knows how many stories there are like that among the elderly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The Braves are allowing 100% capacity starting this weekend? I think that's great and wish we could do that here

https://www.talkingchop.com/2021/4/2...starting-may-7
    With the Indians and Reds that would be merely symbolic ha
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Our 7 day death rate avg is at 720. That's quite low for the past year and matches the positive rate. As the test positive rate falls so, will the death rate with about a month delay

This is the last straw for me. Now, I would advocate opening everything up entirely. If you don't get a vaccine at this point it's on you. And it sounds like about 30% of the population isn't getting vaccinated no matter what. So unless your plan is to never get back to normal I think it's time.

https://twitter.com/LiamWBZ/status/1389954841586323459

15. Likes:

redhawkfish (05-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Such a program would be very divisive for our society so for that reason I am against it. I don't care if the guy next to me at the bar has had his shots or not because I am protected. DeWine has ruled out vaccine passports, that's a good thing.

The level of gov't desired by RZ is frightening
    Kinda like voter id laws, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    This is the last straw for me. Now, I would advocate opening everything up entirely. If you don't get a vaccine at this point it's on you. And it sounds like about 30% of the population isn't getting vaccinated no matter what. So unless your plan is to never get back to normal I think it's time.

https://twitter.com/LiamWBZ/status/1389954841586323459
    Make it June 1. Gives EVERYONE time to at least get the first shot and have a bit of time for it to start working.

18. Likes:

redhawkfish (05-05-2021),RiverRat13 (05-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Kinda like voter id laws, huh?
    Not at all. No one's rights are being violated if one asks you to prove who you are. I had to do that several times last week as I flew to Seattle

20. Likes:

goreds2 (05-05-2021)

Turn Off Ads?