Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Buy?

Re: Buy?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    The hard question is whether the Reds can use pile of cash to get an outfielder who will outperform a Naquin-Aquino platoon in RF, while also giving us a reasonably competent CF backup (i.e. Naquin) to Senzel. I doubt the Reds will find it easy to pull that off.
    I think Shogo is the CF back-up/tandem guy. I might even make him the de facto starter and move Senzel into a supersub role who plays 4 days per week and licks his wounds on the other three.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

The hard question is whether the Reds can use pile of cash to get an outfielder who will outperform a Naquin-Aquino platoon in RF, while also giving us a reasonably competent CF backup (i.e. Naquin) to Senzel. I doubt the Reds will find it easy to pull that off.
    Aquino? When does he ever play?? The question is when/how are they going to get some middle relief and a closer???

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Which is why the roster needs restructured. This team's RF for the foreseeable future isn't part of the Reds Organization today. If he is, then the team needs help (unless they find a taker for Moose and give Cast his money on top of what he's already signed for to get him to stay - and for about 4 extra years beyond 2023). I like Naquin OK as a roster piece, but I think if the Reds keep him, they'll call him the answer and not even look. Naquin has had an up and down career and never two good years in a row. He's not a guy to make plans around beyond solid 4th OF. He's kind of a lefty Chris Heisey IMO. They need to aim higher.
    Reds' history of free agent signings does not suggest to me that they will come up with an outfielder better than a Naquin/Aquino platoon. So you trade Naquin and that leaves you next year with Winker, Shogo, Aquino, and Senzel. Two of those players have hardly established themselves as major leaguers, the other is continually hurt. If you try to trade from that position, other teams will have massive advantage. What's more, I see no reason to think another current non-contender is going to trade you a pitching piece for Naquin significant enough to make enough change in this year's pen. I'm not in the slighest disagreement about finding a RF better than what we'll have once Castellanos leaves. I just don't see that there's a lot of likelihood we'll be able to acquire one better than a Naquin/Aquino platoon--especially when Naquin can also play a little center.

I think Shogo is the CF back-up/tandem guy. I might even make him the de facto starter and move Senzel into a supersub role who plays 4 days per week and licks his wounds on the other three.
    Shogo has an XBH ratio per PA over the past two seasons that is considerably lower than Billy Hamilton's career mark. Maybe he'll get better as he gets more familiarity, but rather than being a starter, he's a marginal 5th outfielder at this point.

6. Likes:

REDREAD (06-14-2021)

With the DH likely coming next season, the Reds need all the hitters they can keep.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Which is why the roster needs restructured. This team's RF for the foreseeable future isn't part of the Reds Organization today. If he is, then the team needs help (unless they find a taker for Moose and give Cast his money on top of what he's already signed for to get him to stay - and for about 4 extra years beyond 2023). I like Naquin OK as a roster piece, but I think if the Reds keep him, they'll call him the answer and not even look. Naquin has had an up and down career and never two good years in a row. He's not a guy to make plans around beyond solid 4th OF. He's kind of a lefty Chris Heisey IMO. They need to aim higher.
    If the Reds do restructure the OF, the missing piece is in CF, not RF. Even without Castellanos.

The OF corners can be handled: Senzel, Winker, Shogo, Naquin, Aquino all available. Senzel would be better off in a corner IMO, maybe less injury.

Either we care about defense or we don’t. Add in Barrero at short, get a solid starting CFer and the team’s defense becomes much stronger. The team will still hit enough with all those guys plus Votto, Stephenson, Moose, India, etc.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-13-2021 at 09:52 PM.

9. Likes:

Mitri (06-13-2021),REDREAD (06-14-2021)

Reds' history of free agent signings does not suggest to me that they will come up with an outfielder better than a Naquin/Aquino platoon. So you trade Naquin and that leaves you next year with Winker, Shogo, Aquino, and Senzel. Two of those players have hardly established themselves as major leaguers, the other is continually hurt. If you try to trade from that position, other teams will have massive advantage. What's more, I see no reason to think another current non-contender is going to trade you a pitching piece for Naquin significant enough to make enough change in this year's pen. I'm not in the slighest disagreement about finding a RF better than what we'll have once Castellanos leaves. I just don't see that there's a lot of likelihood we'll be able to acquire one better than a Naquin/Aquino platoon--especially when Naquin can also play a little center.
    I'm not thinking of a free agent. I think they need to trade some guys and get a RF version of Stephenson or India, hopefully better. I used to think Senzel was the long term RF, but I think he's more of a supersub at this point. There isn't anybody else.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If the Reds do restructure the OF, the missing piece is in CF, not RF. Even without Castellanos.

The OF corners can be handled: Senzel, Winker, Shogo, Naquin, Aquino all available. Senzel would be better off in a corner IMO, maybe less injury.

Either we care about defense or we don’t. Add in Barrero at short, get a solid starting CFer and the team’s defense becomes much stronger. The team will still hit enough with all those guys plus Votto, Stephenson, Moose, India, etc.
    I'd be OK with this, but I think the team needs enough offense that aiming for a CF means a 5 tool guy and probably beyond the Reds ability to acquire. They probably can't get the all around offensive/defensive player they need who also can play up the middle anywhere. I do think they can get a solid young RF type who can hit

How soon before Austin Hendrick might be ready? (I don't follow the minors closely, so this is an honest question.)
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    How soon before Austin Hendrick might be ready? (I don't follow the minors closely, so this is an honest question.)
    3-5 years.

He’s 19 in low A ball. 45 at bats.

This is his first season out of HS. It'll be a couple years at least.

The only impact position player help coming soon to the Reds is Jose Barrero formerly known as Garcia. Unless somebody like TJ Friedl or Alfredo Rodriguez pulls a Vlad and surprises us.

Most of the near future impact players are pitchers. There wasn't a lot at AAA, although they just promoted Hunter Greene there. Nobody else in the top 10 anyways after Santillan.

Thanks, everyone. I knew that Hendrick was a high pick, but I hadn't heard anything about him lately. Didn't know he was so far down the road.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I like a platoon of Naquin and Aquino next year to replace Castellanos is RF. It will be a drop off, but still above league average, imo.
    Barf. If the Reds don't replace some of Cast's offense, from outside the org mind you, then it's already a failure of an off-season. An off-season in which they still need to solve a bullpen and do other things as well.

18. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (06-14-2021),mth123 (06-14-2021),Old school 1983 (06-14-2021),REDREAD (06-14-2021),Rojo Rijo (06-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Barf. If the Reds don't replace some of Cast's offense, from outside the org mind you, then it's already a failure of an off-season. An off-season in which they still need to solve a bullpen and do other things as well.
    Nobody would disagree that replacing Cast's offense is highly desirable. But, as usual, the difficulty is all in the details. Who are some targets?

Turn Off Ads?