Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 College Football Thread: New Year Same Playoff

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: 2021 College Football Thread: New Year Same Playoff

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Yeah. Why I'm old enough to remember them naming bowls after fruit, condiments and flowers.
    Ahhh the good ole days. Nothing like the Tangerine Bowl.

2. Likes:

Chip R (06-23-2021),cumberlandreds (06-24-2021),Revering4Blue (06-23-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

How about the Cereal Bowl between St. Olaf and Carleton College?

https://www.stolaf.edu//news/index.c...etails&id=2513

5. Likes:

Chip R (06-23-2021),Revering4Blue (06-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Yeah. Why I'm old enough to remember them naming bowls after fruit, condiments and flowers.
    Or Animals, I always loved the Gator Bowl. It saddens me that once great bowl that was one of the stalwarts (in providing top 25 matchups at least) of non big 4 Jan 1 bowls is now SEC 6 or 7 vs Big 10 7. That bowl deserves so much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-24-2021),Revering4Blue (06-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Or Animals, I always loved the Gator Bowl. It saddens me that once great bowl that was one of the stalwarts (in providing top 25 matchups at least) of non big 4 Jan 1 bowls is now SEC 6 or 7 vs Big 10 7. That bowl deserves so much better.
    I do believe the Gator is one of the oldest bowls? WWII era?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I do believe the Gator is one of the oldest bowls? WWII era?

1946 was when it started. Also Woody Hayes fondly remembers this bowl.

I always like the Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl/ It was always played on New Years Eve night. A good way to ring out the old year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gator_Bowl
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 06-24-2021 at 09:24 AM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

10. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-24-2021),Chip R (06-30-2021)

I always liked it when the Rose, Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, Citrus, Gator, Cotton and Outback Bowls were played on New Years Day (some were played on the 2nd a few years). It was the greatest day of football all year.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I always liked it when the Rose, Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, Citrus, Gator, Cotton and Outback Bowls were played on New Years Day (some were played on the 2nd a few years). It was the greatest day of football all year.

Yep. I still remember the Orange Bowl being last, at 8:00 that night on NBC with Don Criqui and Bob Trumpy announcing it.

13. Likes:

Chip R (06-30-2021),cumberlandreds (06-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Yep. I still remember the Orange Bowl being last, at 8:00 that night on NBC with Don Criqui and Bob Trumpy announcing it.
    I'm so old I can remember Jim Simpson doing the game. I can't remember who the analyst was though?

Used to be Cotton, Rose and Orange. I thought I was in heaven having all those games on in one day.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

15. Likes:

UKFlounder (06-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Unless something significant happens....I think he is a near lock to sign. It is speculated that he has a small group of upcoming commitments that are loosely connected to him....and he is already all over social media recruiting undecided guys. I would not bet my house on it.....but maybe my car.
    2022 commit. A lot could happen between now and then. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mark Stoops cashes in for a better job and/or Scott Satterfield gets fired by Louisville. That happens and Neal Brown is the top candidate at two schools in his home state one of which he played at.

I understand recruiting is universal but Arizona isn’t exactly recruiting territory for West Virginia. If this was Pennsylvania, Maryland or even Florida I’d be more likely to think he’s a near lock but homesickness can definitely become a factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I'm so old I can remember Jim Simpson doing the game. I can't remember who the analyst was though?

Used to be Cotton, Rose and Orange. I thought I was in heaven having all those games on in one day.
    I think it was Al DeRogatis and Kyle Rote.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

18. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    2022 commit. A lot could happen between now and then. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mark Stoops cashes in for a better job and/or Scott Satterfield gets fired by Louisville. That happens and Neal Brown is the top candidate at two schools in his home state one of which he played at.
    I perceive WVU as a better job than Louisville/Kentucky...

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think it was Al DeRogatis and Kyle Rote.
    DeRogatis was the one I trying to think of. I believe he normally teamed with Simpson on the Orange Bowl.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I perceive WVU as a better job than Louisville/Kentucky...
    10 years ago I would agree. I think it’s even now.

I mention Brown to Kentucky/Louisville because he’s from there. Doesn’t mean he would leave WVU but it’s not like it’s a step down.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    10 years ago I would agree. I think it’s even now.

I mention Brown to Kentucky/Louisville because he’s from there. Doesn’t mean he would leave WVU but it’s not like it’s a step down.
    Fair enough. I guess I could see it as a lateral move.

Fair enough. I guess I could see it as a lateral move.
    In regards to football straight up....success, brand, etc. in recent history (2-3 decades), I do not consider U of L or UK equal to WVU. The caveat with UK is that they are in the SEC and that still carries weight on a coaches resume now that UK is competitive in football. I personally do not think Brown would exit WVU for U of L if he is "happy", but there has been speculation that UK would be a job he favors because he played a couple season there before transferring and is from the state. I am not sure if that is based on knowledge or just assumptions....either way, I would always consider an SEC opening (except Vanderbilt) to be a threat. I personally think WVU fans are still scarred from RichRod leaving, and assume every coach that has success will bounce. Dana left also, but Dana left because he was about a year away from being asked to leave.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Turn Off Ads?