Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Jose Barrero (Garcia)

Re: Jose Barrero (Garcia)

Quote Originally Posted by Powder River View Post
    Go get a legit young centerfielder and we would be set up the middle for a good while.
    if Senzel can remain heal......nevermind.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

2. Likes:

Chip R (07-19-2021),Powder River (07-19-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I am not sure I understand your position. Are you suggesting that he should be called up, but you would just prefer he have a little more seasoning in AAA? Or are you suggesting that it would be better to roll with Farmer for the rest of the season?
    The former. Barrero should be brought up when ready, which is almost certainly this season.

But I also think folks are getting overly excited by a four game hot streak in one series at Nashville.

I don’t want to skimp and have Barrero need to go back to AAA.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-19-2021 at 11:54 AM.

5. Likes:

BillDoran (07-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The former. Barrero should be brought up when ready, which is almost certainly this season.

But I also think folks are getting overly excited by his hot streak in one series at Nashville.

I don’t want to skimp and have him need to go back to AAA.
    Nobody is getting overly excited about a two week performance in AAA. People are overly pessimistic about Farmer, as they should be.

If he needs to go back to AAA again, he's probably never going to be useful.

Now is the time!

Barrero may come up here and hit .150, so be it.

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (07-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Considering how they have handled the SS position so far this season, and the pen, and other areas, it’s difficult to read this without laughing.
    They made pretty good decisions on India and Stephenson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

9. Likes:

BillDoran (07-19-2021),cumberlandreds (07-19-2021),Old school 1983 (07-19-2021),Powder River (07-19-2021),Redeyecat (07-22-2021),TRF (07-19-2021)

Farmer's value is in the fact that he can play C. That gives Bell the flexibility to use Stephenson as a PH

11. Likes:

Crosley58 (07-26-2021),Redeyecat (07-22-2021)

Even with a new face in the GM seat, the Reds are still one of the more conservative orgs. with its top prospects, esp. hitters. Time to see if they can catch lightning in a bottle instead of running a 31 year old career backup out there every day and calling it "development." Call Berroa back up.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Farmer's value is in the fact that he can play C. That gives Bell the flexibility to use Stephenson as a PH
    I honestly don’t know: has he played C even one inning since becoming a red?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I honestly don’t know: has he played C even one inning since becoming a red?
    15 games in 2019.

https://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/F/Pfarmk001.htm
    Reds Fan Since 1971

15. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (07-19-2021)

Rumor is Edgar Garcia is going to be called up to take Lorenzen's spot. So looks like it won't be Barrero.

Thanks for the response but there’s not much difference between first of August and mid-August, which I suggested. Point is Reds can’t and likely won’t be moved by fans’ typical clamor to bring up a prospect after some good games.

The developmental purpose of AAA was to get him hitting work against experienced, savvy pitchers - before facing the tougher pitchers in the bigs. The Reds will decide if that’s been sufficiently satisfied by his 70 PAs. I’m confident they will make a sound decision, however they go.
    This.

I would expect more and similar circumspection from a board full of posters who just four months ago were willing to trade India for a bag of magic beans. The organization has a considerable amount of knowledge about prospects that they do not share with us. And few on the board would accept a 70 PA sample size as sufficient in any other context.

The Reds don't appear to be playing service time games. That means that they see something for Barrero to work on - maybe day-in, day out consistency; maybe an exploitable hole in his swing; maybe plate approach; maybe seeing experienced pitchers multiple times. Look at the top prospects (Kelencic, Franco, Brujan, Madrigal) - several much more highly regarded than Barrero - who have littered their struggles around MLB this year. If the Reds want to be sure Barrero is good and fully ready, that seems entirely reasonable.

18. Likes:

Kc61 (07-19-2021),Powder River (07-19-2021),Redeyecat (07-22-2021)

But I also think folks are getting overly excited by a four game hot streak in one series at Nashville.

I don’t want to skimp and have Barrero need to go back to AAA.
    I'm not getting what you think they'd be skimping on. However, I don't think there's a scenario where he goes back. When he gets called up, he becomes the everyday SS for the rest of this season and he'll be the SS next season too. A matter of weeks in AAA isn't going to make any real difference in whether he makes the job his during a long-term trial.

The upside is it's extremely rare to be putting up a .300/.382/.498 line in the upper minors (especially in the circuits where he's playing) and not at least be semi-functional in the majors. As we've both mentioned, I don't think the timing of his callup has much, if anything, to do with his development. The Reds are just doing air traffic control with their roster. Jose Barrero is going to be the Reds' shortstop. It has become inevitable.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

20. Likes:

Mitri (07-19-2021),Old school 1983 (07-19-2021),Redeyecat (07-22-2021),Ron Madden (07-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm not getting what you think they'd be skimping on. However, I don't think there's a scenario where he goes back. When he gets called up, he becomes the everyday SS for the rest of this season and he'll be the SS next season too. A matter of weeks in AAA isn't going to make any real difference in whether he makes the job his during a long-term trial.

The upside is it's extremely rare to be putting up a .300/.382/.498 line in the upper minors (especially in the circuits where he's playing) and not at least be semi-functional in the majors. As we've both mentioned, I don't think the timing of his callup has much, if anything, to do with his development. The Reds are just doing air traffic control with their roster. Jose Barrero is going to be the Reds' shortstop. It has become inevitable.
    Jose was sent to AAA for a reason. It wasn’t an accident. The Reds likely wanted him to face more sophisticated minor league pitching. And show he can handle that pitching level.

He’s played 16 games at AAA. He was so-so for the first 12. He did much better over the last four. Four games is a small sample. It’s a step, but doesn’t show readiness. It certainly doesn’t show consistency.

If things continue to go well, he’ll be called up. But he may not show it yet. Reds will want to find that out - for a reasonable period (not too long) under the circumstances.

There is a tension between competing this year and preparing for the future. Each decision is difficult. On this, I trust the Reds’ coaches and development people, whatever they decide.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-19-2021 at 01:39 PM.

22. Likes:

Powder River (07-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    Rumor is Edgar Garcia is going to be called up to take Lorenzen's spot. So looks like it won't be Barrero.
    The Reds have a very heavy schedule now. Two off days through August 22. So I wouldn’t be surprised if they choose to go with 14 pitchers. When they do bring up Barrero it’ll likely be for Freeman.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-19-2021 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    if Senzel can remain heal......nevermind.
    To have Senzel shape up into what we all have hoped for would be fantastic for our ball club. If the dream plan of Barerro, et. al. were to work out, I wonder if Senzel would be best at third base moving forward.
    Last edited by Powder River; 07-19-2021 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder River View Post
    To have Senzel shape up into what we all have hoped for would be fantastic for our ball club. I do wonder if he isn’t more right field or third base though. If the dream plan of Barerro, et. al. were to work out, I wonder if Senzel would be best at third base moving forward.
    A guess - Senzel will replace Castellanos in RF next season. Reds will add a CFer.

Third base is tough. Suarez, Moustakas. Lot of money tied up in third basemen.

26. Likes:

mth123 (07-19-2021),Redeyecat (07-22-2021)

Turn Off Ads?