Turn Off Ads?
Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1858646566676869 LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1030

Thread: 2021 MLB In-Season General Discussion

Re: 2021 MLB In-Season General Discussion

Marcano very much looks like another Adam Frazier. I guess Warren Buffett said something like "buy what you know" and the Pirates did that.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Castellini needs to sell.

Because right now there's only one difference between Reds ownership and Pirates ownership.

Two ambivalent employees. One pretending to work, the other not even bothering to pretend. I give Pirates ownership accolades for at least being obvious, I guess.
    They've kind of got the Ricky Bobby approach to their franchise: "If you're not first, you're last." Why make big moves and acquire big time talent when you're going to finish last anyway. Meanwhile, in Cincinnati, we just are kind of in limbo. The talent is there but there's absolutely no effort to get to the next level. So the Reds will probably finish out of the money and anywhere between 2nd and 4th place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Majority of Dodgers players do not want Trevor Bauer to rejoin team, per report

It's unclear when Bauer will be able to return to baseball -- a suspension under MLB's domestic violence policy looms in addition to potential criminal charges -- but, when he is, he may not be welcome in his own clubhouse. Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times says many Dodgers players do not want Bauer back. From DiGiovanna:

Bauer's career is in jeopardy, and his stay with the Dodgers could be over, the sexual-assault allegations having turned a pitcher in his prime into a pariah in his own clubhouse, where no teammate has spoken publicly about him or come to his defense. Two people with knowledge of Dodgers clubhouse dynamics, who are unauthorized to speak publicly about the situation, said that a majority of players do not want Bauer back under any circumstances.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Love this trade for the Pirates. One year of Frazier for three serious--and very young--prospects. Imaginative move. Reds' focus would likely be on figuring out how to extend Frazier so as to have his declining years.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Love this trade for the Pirates. One year of Frazier for three serious--and very young--prospects. Imaginative move. Reds' focus would likely be on figuring out how to extend Frazier so as to have his declining years.
    No, the Reds would trade him for Jose Peraza, Scott Schebler and Brandon Dixon

7. Likes:

HokieRed (07-26-2021)

This seems like quite the liberal take on what a serious and very young prospect is. Marcano is a legit prospect that looks like a solid floor, high contact type of infielder, much like Adam Frazier. Suwinski is an interesting bat that appears to be breaking out in AA this season as a 22 year old, can't find a lot of other info on him as he was not among any of the pre-season padres lists. Miliano is a big arm in his 5th year in the Pads org that doesn't seem to know where its going.

It seems like a fair deal for what they gave up. Nothing earth shattering or imaginative. They got a near MLB high floor guy, a wild-card breakout bat, and a relief project.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

9. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    No, the Reds would trade him for Jose Peraza, Scott Schebler and Brandon Dixon
    Oddly enough, Peraza, Schebler, and Dixon is a very comparable package to what the Pirates just obtained.

11. Likes:

M2 (07-26-2021),mth123 (07-26-2021),Tom Servo (07-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Oddly enough, Peraza, Schebler, and Dixon is a very comparable package to what the Pirates just obtained.
    It's pretty underwhelming.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

13. Likes:

Sea Ray (07-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It's pretty underwhelming.
    Something about trading guys named Frazier I guess.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

15. Likes:

Griffey012 (07-26-2021),M2 (07-26-2021)

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    ·
    5m
    #Reds roster move: Amir Garrett was activated from the paternity list. Alejo Lopez was optioned to Triple-A Louisville.

Obviously I like what the Pirates did a lot better than most on here. Looks to me like they traded a year of Adam Frazier for a 21 year old who's already in the majors in a better organization than either the Reds or Pirates, a 22 year old AA outfielder (2.2 yrs younger than league average) with a .949 OPS, and a 21 year old reliever at A/A+ who averages nearly 2 k's per inning. Frankly I don't see the comparison at all to the Peraza trade. All the emphasis in the Pirates trade is on upside; the Reds trade was a much more conservative attempt to get near ready or already major leaguers whose upside pretty limited and calculable.

Obviously I like what the Pirates did a lot better than most on here. Looks to me like they traded a year of Adam Frazier for a 21 year old who's already in the majors in a better organization than either the Reds or Pirates, a 22 year old AA outfielder (2.2 yrs younger than league average) with a .949 OPS, and a 21 year old reliever at A/A+ who averages nearly 2 k's per inning. Frankly I don't see the comparison at all to the Peraza trade. All the emphasis in the Pirates trade is on upside; the Reds trade was a much more conservative attempt to get near ready or already major leaguers whose upside pretty limited and calculable.
    Pretty easy comparison:

Jose Peraza just finished up his age 21 season with a cup of coffee for the LAD (player already in the majors in a better org). He was a high contact, low strikeout, low power middle infielder who was a little below league average in his age 21 season at AAA. Marcano is in his Age 21 season and is putting up a league average line in AAA. He has suddenly shown a sliver of pop this year but that could just be a very friendly hitting environment. Both guys had the bat knocked out of their hands in their MLB appearances.

Suwinski is a bulky left handed corner outfield power bat who is having a breakout in his age 22 season at AA with a 153 wRC+. Schebler fits the same profile and carried a 154 wRC+ in his age 23 season at AA in 2014. He struggled to hit for power in AAA in 2015 but hit well in a cup of coffee in the big leagues in 2015. I'd rather have the guy year younger in the midst of the big year than the guy whose balloon may be leaking helium, but they are similar profiles and similar lower end prospect types.

Dixon was a ulility guy who had speed and pop but struggled to make good contact. Miliano is a 21 year old reliever in A+ ball who can strike guys out but can't find the zone. I'd call them both wild cards that will be lucky to carve out much of an MLB career.

FWIW, I think it was a solid trade for both squads.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 07-26-2021 at 01:27 PM.

Marcano has well over twice the walk rate of Jose Peraza over his entire minor league career.

I think they did OK, but i do think the IF they got sounds a lot like Peraza all the way to teh hit tool and iffy arm strength and the OF sounds like a younger Schebler. If they did well in this trade, it will because the OF becomes a solid player. Low minors relief prospects are guys who aren't good enough to start at the minor league level. That usually makes them a nothing at the big league level. I think the best case is the IF becomes what Frazier was. If they did more than tread water, the OF has to become a solid big leaguer.
    Last edited by mth123; 07-26-2021 at 02:00 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

that is pretty strong because they could use him
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Turn Off Ads?