Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals Part 3

"So Fla Red"

Re: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals Part 3

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    That was a blast to watch, especially the mega cast version. Seeing the Mannings reactions (especially Eli’s after the delay of game) at the end was cool. They were pretty muck like us normal fans “what the heck?” at times.
    Yeah, the Manningcast was awesome. I forgot about that and tuned in for the 2nd half. That was great with the dumbfounded looks from Peyton with the mistake filled 4th quarter and OT and the Ravens going down the drain with cover zero until the bitter end. Eli, Peyton, Russell Wilson and Kelce were great to see how the pros watch a telecast. Kelce didn't know the Chiefs were playing the Ravens on Sunday Night. That was hard to believe and Peyton had fun with that one.

The Raiders delay of game fiasco trying to kick on 2nd and 9 from the 30 was classic. Then sending the offense back out on 3rd and 14 with a Ravens defensive breakdown. Good times.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Burrow is my favorite Bengals QB besides Esiason, and I'll suspect he passes up Boomer by seasons end.

Gotta love his wit, leadership, and big brass balls.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Yeah, the Manningcast was awesome. I forgot about that and tuned in for the 2nd half. That was great with the dumbfounded looks from Peyton with the mistake filled 4th quarter and OT and the Ravens going down the drain with cover zero until the bitter end. Eli, Peyton, Russell Wilson and Kelce were great to see how the pros watch a telecast. Kelce didn't know the Chiefs were playing the Ravens on Sunday Night. That was hard to believe and Peyton had fun with that one.

The Raiders delay of game fiasco trying to kick on 2nd and 9 from the 30 was classic. Then sending the offense back out on 3rd and 14 with a Ravens defensive breakdown. Good times.
    I forgot about the Manning version as well. I would like to watch it next week what channel is it aired on please.

My impression on the Monday night game is that these aren’t the killer Ravens we’ve seen in the past.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    They can tag him. Up to twice. He's not walking until 2023 or 2024 if they use the tag twice.
    I think tagging players come with downsides that aren't often talked about. Players around the league notice, it creates bad feelings with the player, doesn't help locker room chemistry, etc. I do think Bates is good enough to pay, but hopefully the decision makers know more than I do.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

ESPN2, but they’re only doing it 10 times this year and I haven’t seen if they know which games yet

Quote Originally Posted by Thisyear View Post
    I forgot about the Manning version as well. I would like to watch it next week what channel is it aired on please.

8. Likes:

Thisyear (09-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I think tagging players come with downsides that aren't often talked about. Players around the league notice, it creates bad feelings with the player, doesn't help locker room chemistry, etc. I do think Bates is good enough to pay, but hopefully the decision makers know more than I do.
    Sure. But...it is also a thing that happens. So he's not going anywhere.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Until he decides not to show up…

Guys force trades all the time and if you are wanting to change the culture you pay Bates.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Until he decides not to show up…

Guys force trades all the time and if you are wanting to change the culture you pay Bates.
    Strongly disagree that he will sit out. He may threaten but he is not gonna give up the money for a franchise tag. There are a select few that actually follow through. He has not made near enough money to turn it down. I hope they sign him but I am more than ok to let the year play out

Sounds like a Jonathan Joseph situation to me. Except they chose Hall. Who was good too but then became injury prone. In this case what are they choosing to do? They never set the market. Unless the agent was being unreasonable.

The Center situation once again is an issue. As it has been since Braham left. With few exceptions. Just constant failings at this. Like Reds pitching issues during most of the 2000s.

Someone should run the numbers, but I'm guessing, on average, there's a performance drop off for guys who are tagged. It's a rare player who will be able to keep motivation turned all the way up when they're getting screwed over, and the franchise tag is 100% screwing a player in a league where catastrophic injury is a possibility every day.

It's very Bengals to cut off their nose to spite their face, and I'd like to see them move on from that kind of crap.

If they have data that says he's not worth what he's asking for, then fine. Let him go. If not, pay him.

"So Fla Red"

This is a pretty good overview of the Franchise and Transition tag list by year and history

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cba/franchise-tag/

The tag doesn't come into play until Year 5. Looks like 10 5th year players were tagged this year with 4/10 signed to extensions.

Also note that Minkah Fitzpatrick (Round 1/11 of the same 2018 draft as Bates) has yet to be extended by Pittsburgh

Would be nice to get something done but there isn't anything sinister let alone cheap the Bengals are doing at this point with Bates contract and tenure.

15. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (09-14-2021),membengal (09-14-2021)

This is a pretty good overview of the Franchise and Transition tag list by year and history

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cba/franchise-tag/

The tag doesn't come into play until Year 5. Looks like 10 5th year players were tagged this year with 4/10 signed to extensions.

Also note that Minkah Fitzpatrick (Round 1/11 of the same 2018 draft as Bates) has yet to be extended by Pittsburgh

Would be nice to get something done but there isn't anything sinister let alone cheap the Bengals are doing at this point with Bates contract and tenure.
    I'm not going to monopolize the thread on this point, but the Bengals have a history here, and they can't be compared neutrally to the rest of the league. Doesn't work. They've earned their negative reputation and playing hardass is a luxury for franchises that are actually good, not bottom of the barrel.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I'm not going to monopolize the thread on this point, but the Bengals have a history here, and they can't be compared neutrally to the rest of the league. Doesn't work. They've earned their negative reputation and playing hardass is a luxury for franchises that are actually good, not bottom of the barrel.
    I think you are stuck in the Paul Brown 80s and Mike Brown 90s/early 2000s. or you are thinking of the history of not paying Free Agents (although this seems to have totally changed with the last two offseasons completely remaking the defense) which has nothing to do with the Bates 2nd year extension as he is entering year 4 of his first contract.

if anything I think it is actually the opposite. The Bengals have been generous to a fault on most 2nd and 3rd contracts over the last decade. They've tended to overpay for mediocre or slightly above average home grown talent and been way too slow in waiving and cutting players who don't perform on those generous extension contracts.

The Steelers are much more hardasses than the Bengals on contract extensions and leveraging the franchise tag system.

18. Likes:

membengal (09-14-2021)

I think you are stuck in the Paul Brown 80s and Mike Brown 90s/early 2000s. or you are thinking of the history of not paying Free Agents (although this seems to have totally changed with the last two offseasons completely remaking the defense) which has nothing to do with the Bates 2nd year extension as he is entering year 4 of his first contract.

if anything I think it is actually the opposite. The Bengals have been generous to a fault on most 2nd and 3rd contracts over the last decade. They've tended to overpay for mediocre or slightly above average home grown talent and been way too slow in waiving and cutting players who don't perform on those generous extension contracts.

The Steelers are much more hardasses than the Bengals on contract extensions and leveraging the franchise tag system.
    I would agree to a point…they do like to resign there guys however they have a history of structuring contracts a certain way…and the pendulum has swung on that. Pitts was similar in its thinking however they scrapped their philosophy to get a deal done with Watt.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?