Thread: MLB Lockout Off-Season 2021

Haunted by walks

Re: MLB Lockout Off-Season 2021

New Reds logo

Name:  mrgray.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  31.8 KB

2. Likes:

757690 (12-02-2021),Bob Sheed (12-02-2021),Chip R (12-02-2021),goreds2 (12-03-2021),REDREAD (12-02-2021),Ron Madden (12-02-2021),The Operator (12-03-2021),TheBigLebowski (12-02-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    New Reds logo

Name:  mrgray.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  31.8 KB
    It is cheaper to print without having to use all that Red ink.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

5. Likes:

goreds2 (12-03-2021),REDREAD (12-02-2021),wally post (12-02-2021)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I guess I kinda care. I think I’m supposed to. But this upcoming season is shaping up to be a real knock in the knickers, so it’s probably a blessing. If it lasts. If not, yay, we just signed Andrew Knapp to lessen the blow of the knock to the knickers.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (12-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I guess I kinda care. I think I’m supposed to. But this upcoming season is shaping up to be a real knock in the knickers, so it’s probably a blessing. If it lasts. If not, yay, we just signed Andrew Knapp to lessen the blow of the knock to the knickers.
    yep, MLB better be careful. All sports lost fans due to covid (no games, so people found other things to do). Sports are losing fans due to the cable channels getting dropped.
    Probably the worst time for a work stoppage.
    And yea, I agree with you, this is the most apathetic I've been about the Reds in a long time. I don't really even care if games are missed now, we have no chance anyhow.
    I will still follow them out of morbid curiosity and I enjoy this board -- if there are games, yea, I will watch some, but a lot fewer.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

9. Likes:

dreghorntwo (12-03-2021)

I am the most apathetic about the Reds in particular and MLB in general since I became a Reds fan 55 years ago.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

11. Likes:

dreghorntwo (12-03-2021),goreds2 (12-03-2021),mth123 (12-02-2021),REDREAD (12-04-2021),Roy Tucker (12-03-2021),Tommyjohn25 (12-03-2021),UPRedsFan (12-03-2021)

History tells us this will have little or no effect on the long term popularity of baseball. It’s a wonderful sport that the masses adore. No matter how stupid those in charge have been over the past century, they have never been able to kill it.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    History tells us this will have little or no effect on the long term popularity of baseball. It’s a wonderful sport that the masses adore. No matter how stupid those in charge have been over the past century, they have never been able to kill it.
    That’s what they said about Roseanne.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

14. Likes:

Chip R (12-03-2021),UPRedsFan (12-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

After the last lockout I know for a fact people in my circles just faded away from being interested in the Reds and instead turned more to the Bengals. Of course, having a team that seems not to know or care how to compete could have been just as much a reason, but either way Cincinnati's fanbase is no longer owned by the Reds as it once was. Sometimes I think baseball (the Reds surely) doesn't care whether people buy tickets and then they use it as an excuse to slash payroll, which of course is disingenuous to the core. What company ever seeks to grow stronger by not making capital investments? The Reds are more like Sears and Macy's if you ask me. But the people I know- we are mostly old and white, which I think is also a problem for baseball in the US- all say the same thing, "It's just millionaires fighting multi-millionaires" and they feel like the least those people could do is acknowledge they are making money off popularity, goodwill, winning and attention to their fans. This won't happen because baseball makes money in a lot of other ways, one of which includes somewhere north of a billion dollars annually from legal betting, or to put it more clearly making money off people who are not at all fans per se. That money used to travel through local sports books and was only accessible to teams through shaving runs and manipulating lineups and now there is a cut for the teams without them needing to be dirty. I seriously need a stick to wave or a cloud to scream at; just fed up with all of this to be honest.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

16. Likes:

Bob Sheed (12-03-2021),dreghorntwo (12-03-2021),REDREAD (12-04-2021)

Interesting article

https://dkpittsburghsports.com/2021/...X8lMszAr-6q6Ik

People keep saying MLB will bounce back after the lockout. I’m not so sure. I was as huge of a Browns fan as I am a Reds fan and the NFL broke that for me. If the owners are banking on me coming back, I suggest they tread very carefully. The opposite of love isn’t hate. It’s indifference. And I’m starting to just… not… care…
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

18. Likes:

dreghorntwo (12-03-2021),REDREAD (12-04-2021),RedsBaron (12-03-2021),SunDeck (12-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Good for the players. This isn’t 1994 when the much wealthier owners can run a media blitz on how awful these greedy players are.

I hope we get a salary floor, some reasons for teams to compete (perhaps larger chunks of revenue sharing for smaller markets teams based on winning), get rid of the amazingly low rookie scale.

And some way to get more Cohen like owners owning MLB teams. It’s an entertainment product that might as well be a way for the ultra wealthy to show off, be better than big Bob trying to run his organization to break even.
    Owners should not agree to a salary floor w/o a salary cap. They go hand in hand

20. Likes:

MikeS21 (12-03-2021),REDREAD (12-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Here's the thing.. Teams like Cleveland and Pittsburg are even worse than Cincy. No rational reason to have a payroll in the 40's now, other than maximizing profits and screwing the fans.
    There needs to be some kind of salary floor to stop 1/3 of the league tanking at any given time.
    The owners claim they are "just breaking even", which is nonsense.

Another good idea would be to tie revenue sharing to W-L record, so the owners have a financial incentive to try.. You lose 90+ games, no revenue sharing money for you.
    A floor of say $100 million isn't going to help teams like ours to compete. We're still screwed. We need a cap too

22. Likes:

MikeS21 (12-03-2021),RED VAN HOT (12-03-2021),REDREAD (12-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    A floor of say $100 million isn't going to help teams like ours to compete. We're still screwed. We need a cap too
    I was surprised that the owners even mentioned a salary floor. Other sports have a cap and not a floor.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I was surprised that the owners even mentioned a salary floor. Other sports have a cap and not a floor.
    The large market oweners don't want the small market owners pocketing the revenue sharing money, so they want the salary floor to force spending it on the team. I think the floor goes more hand in hand with increasing revenue sharing than anything. It also will suppress spending at the top since those big markets wil have less to spend if they are sharing more of it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

25. Likes:

REDREAD (12-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The large market oweners don't want the small market owners pocketing the revenue sharing money, so they want the salary floor to force spending it on the team. I think the floor goes more hand in hand with increasing revenue sharing than anything. It also will suppress spending at the top since those big markets wil have less to spend if they are sharing more of it.
    I hadn't thought of the first part of this hypothetical, but it makes sense that teams with a salary floor would be better. This would, in turn, improve attendance and lessen the need for more resource sharing, thereby saving large market teams serious cash.

I'm guessing the Brotherhood of the Penurious Seven-- Oakland, Tampa, Miami, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Cleveland, and the Reds-- are getting outvoted by the other owners, who are largely tired of seeing their hard-earned money go to teams who largely aren't trying. (Or conversely, are remarkably successful on a shoestring budget and thereby make gobs of money off the largesse of big market clubs.)

27. Likes:

REDREAD (12-04-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

It might be better to not institute a hard floor, but rather, say for every dollar under some percentage of average team salary, that's a dollar that doesn't get shared in revenue. (Or maybe that's a dollar that goes to the union to distribute as they see fit.)
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

29. Likes:

REDREAD (12-04-2021)

Turn Off Ads?