Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Draft Discussion

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

2022 Draft Discussion

Early mock: 2022's Top 20 Draft prospects

16: Reds: Hunter Barco, LHP, Florida

One of the top high school arms in the 2019 class, Barco has been in the Gators' rotation since he got to school. He relies heavily on his fastball and slider, though he does have a potential four-pitch mix, all coming from a 6-foot-4 frame.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Likes:

DocRed (08-05-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2022 Draft Discussion

I wonder where Kumar fits on that list now.

Despite the failures of Brady Aiken, Karsten Whitson, Mark Appel and our very own Jeremy Sowers, I wouldn’t mind the Reds taking a chance on Rocker next year.
    Last edited by Benihana; 08-05-2021 at 05:58 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Hard pass on rocker. Damaged goods. And isn’t he probably going to Japan or Korea?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Hard pass on rocker. Damaged goods. And isn’t he probably going to Japan or Korea?
    I's draft him if no one else really stood out, but I'd have to have a pretty clean bill of health from my doctors. Or at least a plan in place for TJ surgery.

MLB Pipeline's top 100 draft prospects for 2022

The Reds select at #18, and this is the 18th listed player on that board:

Connor
    Prielipp
    LHP, Alabama

BATS
    L
    DOB
    01/10/2001
    THROWS
    L
    HT
    6' 2"
    DRAFTED
    2019, 37th (1127) - BOS
    WT

Video scouting report »

Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Slider: 70 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 55 | Overall: 55

Gatorade's Wisconsin high school player of the year and the state's top Draft prospect in 2019, Prielipp slid to the Red Sox in the 37th round because of his commitment to Alabama. He immediately became the Crimson Tide's No. 1 starter as a freshman and didn't allow a run while striking out 35 in 21 innings before the coronavirus pandemic ended the 2020 season. He looked like a potential No. 1 overall pick for 2022 before injuring his elbow in his first start as a sophomore, leading to Tommy John surgery last May. He's not expected to pitch for Alabama this season but may throw in a summer collegiate league before the Draft.

Prielipp's slider is one of the most devastating pitches in the college class, sitting in the mid-80s and touching 90 with two-plane break that has it drop off the table as it approaches the plate. He also can elicit swings and misses with a low-90s fastball that peaks at 95 mph with run and downhill plane. He has a quick arm and could add more velocity after completing his rehabilitation from elbow reconstruction.

Prielipp hasn't used his changeup much but shows feel for an 82-85 mph offering with some sink. He pitches with confidence and while he doesn't have the smoothest delivery, he's athletic and locates his pitches where he wants. Assuming a return to full health, he has all the ingredients to become a frontline starter.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Prielipp is the perfect type of guy to gamble on in the middle of the first round-- especially if (like the Reds) a team has a bunch of other picks soon thereafter.

The Reds will almost assuredly grab a compensation draft pick somewhere around 35 when another team signs Castellanos. They also may have a competitive balance draft pick as well.

I'm guessing three picks inside the top 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Prielipp is the perfect type of guy to gamble on in the middle of the first round-- especially if (like the Reds) a team has a bunch of other picks soon thereafter.

The Reds will almost assuredly grab a compensation draft pick somewhere around 35 when another team signs Castellanos. They also may have a competitive balance draft pick as well.

I'm guessing three picks inside the top 50.
    Their comp-bal pick this year will be at the end of the 2nd round. It was at the end of the 1st round this past year.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Their comp-bal pick this year will be at the end of the 2nd round. It was at the end of the 1st round this past year.
    Well, poop.

So likely four picks in the first 75?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Well, poop.

So likely four picks in the first 75?
    That's about right.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    That's about right.
    18 for the 1st rounder
    35 (or so) for Castellanos (maybe)
    59 (or so) as the 2nd rounder
    75 (or so) as the competitive balance pick
    93 (or so) as the 3rd round pick

5 picks in the top 100, none of them particularly high.

That'd be:
    Prielipp, a former phenom fresh off Tommy John surgery with a plus slider, a decent fastball, and the makings of a good changeup.
    2B/ Utility guy Cade Daughty, a 20-year-old from LSU, as a 55 hit tool who does everything else pretty well.
    C Jared Jones, a 19-year-old with a massive frame, big-time power, a quick bat, and questions about his glove and hit tool.
    SS Zach Neto, a 20-year-old from Campbell who raked in the Cape Cod League and has questions about school pedigree
    LHSP Cooper Hjerpe, a 20-year-old who doesn't throw hard but already has four solid pitches and a 75 grade name.

That'd be another haul, were those the picks.

I would take a shot at Rocker however I would think Boras would want top 5 dollars for a guy picked 16th...
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Haaaaard pass on Rocker. Damaged goods.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

16. Likes:

Sea Ray (05-06-2022)

For me:

1-18) Landon Sims-RHP- Mississippi St. mid rotation type, or dominate back-end guy
    1-35) Justin Crawford-CF- HS, son of Carl Crawford,
    2-59) Hunter Barco-LHP- Florida, mid rotation type starter
    2-75) Jacob Reimer-3b- HS
    3-93) Johnathon Cannon- RHP Georgia, back end bullpen type guy

-I would focus on adding college arms, and look to add promising HS bats.

So is the 2022 Draft going to be pushed back to July again, or is that a permanent move to allow the College World Series to complete? Is that still to be negotiated during this CBA discussions?

I so much prefer a June draft. Gives your top picks a couple extra weeks exposure to minor leagues.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Turn Off Ads?