Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part V

Re: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part V

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It's worth seeing in a movie house, especially if you've got a good arthouse theater near you. The visuals, like lifting the iconic house from Tati's Mon Oncle, pay off on a big screen. I think French Dispatch is more in the Life Aquatic vein in that it's telling more deeply personal stories. It's actually about the attachments more than the detachment (I'd argue the lazy dismissals of Anderson pretty much always miss that). If someone wants to deduct points for Anderson landing in his own pocket with this film, I can't say they're wrong. It is most definitely a Wes Anderson film, but he really stuck the landing.
    If we were going into theaters presently, I would have liked to have seen this on the big screen. We're realizing more and more that our TV is too small for catching somethings in films. In this case, there was written text that we had to pause to read simply because it's coming off so small on our not enormous screen.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Likes:

M2 (01-08-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Spider Man No Way Home is really good...loved how they tie everything together.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turned Matrix Resurrections on Saturday night. Good grief that is a horrible movie. A great example of a movie that should have stopped after the 1st. No need for sequels. Neo became The One. The end.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

6. Likes:

M2 (01-17-2022)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

‘Heat’ Fans Rejoice: Michael Mann & Meg Gardiner Novel ‘Heat 2’ Has August 9 Pub Date And Will Detail Lives Of Characters Before & After 1995 Crime Classic

Michael Mann is ready to rip on Heat 2, a novel he has written with Edgar-winner Meg Gardiner that expands the tapestry of his 1995 crime classic film. The surprise here: the novel coming August 9 from William Morrow through the HarperCollins-based Michael Mann Books imprint will tell an original story about the lives of the characters in that movie both before and after the events depicted in the movie. (Watch the book’s trailer, accompanied by Moby’s ‘God Moving Over the Face of the Water,’ the famed final music that plays at the film’s end).
    Wasn't sure if this belonged in the book or movie thread. Posted here for fans of Heat.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

8. Likes:

Boss-Hog (01-20-2022)

I don't think Nightmare Alley deserves Best Picture, but the cinematography is spectacular.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I don't think Nightmare Alley deserves Best Picture, but the cinematography is spectacular.
    Production design was just incredible. Just an overall amazing looking film.

11. Likes:

M2 (02-19-2022)

Not sure why West Side Story was even nominated other then Spielberg is the director. It’s not a bad movie but Best Picture nominee. Was the field that limited.

I don't know who gets excited about the Oscars anymore (seriously, ask someone which movie won Best Picture last year), but I'll probably watch some of it anyway.

Seems that The Power of the Dog or Coda are the frontrunners.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I don't know who gets excited about the Oscars anymore (seriously, ask someone which movie won Best Picture last year), but I'll probably watch some of it anyway.

Seems that The Power of the Dog or Coda are the frontrunners.
    My wife and I try and watch as many of the Best Picture nominees as possible. Last year's batch was kind of a dud (although as a musician with tinnitus, Sound of Metal hit hard). This year's is really good though. I think Power of the Dog has it, and it's definitely the one that stuck with me the most of the ones I saw. Nightmare Alley did too, in a much different way. Coda was novel and nice, but I don't know that it has the cinematic power to jump in front, even though everybody in it was really good.

Licorice Pizza was the most fun movie I saw and looked incredible. I thought West Side Story was fine — not sure why people lost their minds over it. Don't Look Up was clever but probably too pandering. Will Smith will probably win Best Actor for King Richard, but the movie itself was a bit formulaic.

I'm hoping to see Belfast in theaters tonight and Drive My Car and Dune over before Sunday.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

15. Likes:

M2 (03-26-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    My wife and I try and watch as many of the Best Picture nominees as possible. Last year's batch was kind of a dud (although as a musician with tinnitus, Sound of Metal hit hard). This year's is really good though. I think Power of the Dog has it, and it's definitely the one that stuck with me the most of the ones I saw. Nightmare Alley did too, in a much different way. Coda was novel and nice, but I don't know that it has the cinematic power to jump in front, even though everybody in it was really good.

Licorice Pizza was the most fun movie I saw and looked incredible. I thought West Side Story was fine — not sure why people lost their minds over it. Don't Look Up was clever but probably too pandering. Will Smith will probably win Best Actor for King Richard, but the movie itself was a bit formulaic.

I'm hoping to see Belfast in theaters tonight and Drive My Car and Dune over before Sunday.
    I've seen all of the best picture nominees except for Belfast. I liked them all for different reasons, but if I had to pick the "best" of the nominees, I'd have to say it was Drive My Car. It has no chance of winning, of course.

17. Likes:

WildcatFan (03-25-2022)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Stayed in and watched The French Dispatch instead. That getting locked out of the nominations is criminal.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

19. Likes:

M2 (03-26-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Stayed in and watched The French Dispatch instead. That getting locked out of the nominations is criminal.
    I mean, it's outstanding. And I don't even have words for how egregious it is Jeffrey Wright didn't get nominated.

21. Likes:

WildcatFan (03-26-2022)

Saw The Batman last night. I’d give it 2 out of 5 stars. The only saving grace was how cool Gotham looked. Nailed the aesthetic.

The movie was at least 1 hour too long. Why are we insisting on comic book movies being 3 hours long? At least an hour could be edited out and it would be the same movie. Who thought that was a good idea? Movie seemed confused as to if it was a dark film noir or a campy comic book movie. Some of the accents from characters were just absurd.

Also, minor nitpick, the SJW stuff was very out of place and over-the-top. Really took me out of the movie. Half the theater chortled and sighed.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Saw The Batman last night. I’d give it 2 out of 5 stars. The only saving grace was how cool Gotham looked. Nailed the aesthetic.

The movie was at least 1 hour too long. Why are we insisting on comic book movies being 3 hours long? At least an hour could be edited out and it would be the same movie. Who thought that was a good idea? Movie seemed confused as to if it was a dark film noir or a campy comic book movie. Some of the accents from characters were just absurd.

Also, minor nitpick, the SJW stuff was very out of place and over-the-top. Really took me out of the movie. Half the theater chortled and sighed.
    My general take on Batman and tackling social complexity is if you're going to do that, then maybe Batman isn't the hero. Like, maybe Gotham is a dreary place because it's had a vigilante creating an atmosphere of terror for decades on end.

24. Likes:

Chip R (03-28-2022)

Wasn't counting on Will Smith slapping Rock on live TV. That's one way to get attention for a show fewer and fewer watch every year.

Turn Off Ads?