Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: On This Day in Reds' Baseball : 1982 Reds vs. 2022 Reds

Re: On This Day in Reds' Baseball : 1982 Reds vs. 2022 Reds

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Great business for guy with local name recognition
    Groza’s son Jeff hung out with a kid younger than us named Jimmy Tressel that became star QB at Berea High School. He did some coaching later on too.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-27-2022),westofyou (04-26-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

With their loss tonight to the Padres, the '22 Reds drop three full games behind their '82 Reds' counterpart, as they were idle on this day forty years ago.

'82 Reds 6-11
    '22 Reds 3-14
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 04-26-2022 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Hal McRae was never going to work out in Cincinnati. Mcenany never was the same after he went to the Expos. I, personally don't think the Perez trade was as bad as history makes it. While what we got in return was pathetic, I don't believe having those players would've led to more success. Dan Driessen was going to have to be given his turn and being that he was 9 years younger than Doggie, the transition had to be done.

The 1977 Reds were doomed. The pitching staff was in disarray because players like Nolan and Billingham were finished and Gullett left in free agency. The relief staff had deteriorated fast as relief pitchers tend to do. And the let's not forget that the catalyst of the BRM, Joe Morgan was returning to his Astros numbers because age was catching up to him too.

To say Bob Howsam had as many bad trades as good ones is wrong IMO. His good trades outweigh his bad ones by a mile. Let's not forgetting the trades to acquire Clay Carroll, Tony Cloninger, Woody Woodward, Jim Merritt, Jim Mcglothlin, Pedro Borbon, Bobby Tolan, Wayne Granger, Tom Hall, Fred Norman along with key backups Jimmy Stewart, Angel Bravo, Ty Cline, Mike Lum, Bob Bailey, Bill Plummer.

So I find it difficult to dwell on bad trades of a GM that had a team average 98 wins a season throughout the 70s. I can't really see that record being any better if he'd kept those players. When he made a bad trade, he usually made a good one to make up for it.
    I wouldn't call Plummer a key backup. One of the Reds worst players ever. Had they traded Driessen they could have got a good pitcher to go with Seaver. Had they kept Caldwell and pitched him in the rotation instead of the bullpen who knows maybe the race would have been closer in 77.
    Howsam was great. As I said earlier he should be in the hall of fame. But he did make his share of bad trades. It's just his good ones were so good people tend to over look the bad ones.

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    I wouldn't call Plummer a key backup. One of the Reds worst players ever. Had they traded Driessen they could have got a good pitcher to go with Seaver. Had they kept Caldwell and pitched him in the rotation instead of the bullpen who knows maybe the race would have been closer in 77.
    Howsam was great. As I said earlier he should be in the hall of fame. But he did make his share of bad trades. It's just his good ones were so good people tend to over look the bad ones.
    I remember Bill Plummer being a decent backup for Bench. If I recall, he had a great arm. And any GM that makes a lot of trades is going to make bad ones, I'm sure Branch Rickey made bad trades too. The reason we don't discuss them is they were insignificant in the grand scheme of things and don't define him. How many GMs can you say "Didn't make as many bad trades as Bob Howsam"? Or better yet, had a better ratio of good vs bad trades?

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    I remember Bill Plummer being a decent backup for Bench. If I recall, he had a great arm. And any GM that makes a lot of trades is going to make bad ones, I'm sure Branch Rickey made bad trades too. The reason we don't discuss them is they were insignificant in the grand scheme of things and don't define him. How many GMs can you say "Didn't make as many bad trades as Bob Howsam"? Or better yet, had a better ratio of good vs bad trades?
    We will just agree to disagree on this and that's fine. We can agree that Howman should be in the hall of fame.

8. Likes:

Chip R (04-29-2022)

With their loss tonight against the Padres , the 2022 Cincinnati Reds dropped 4 full games behind the '82 Reds , who defeated the Chicago Cubs 6-3 at Wrigley Field. Johnny Bench and Cesar Cedeno drove in five of the Reds' six runs on the game, with Bench going deep for the first time on the season. Davey Concepcion continued his hot hitting with three more base knocks, raising his team-leading batting average to .348.
    RZ's own Bruce Berenyi got his fourth win on the season, while Jim Kern recorded his first save , a FOUR inning save at that. (Relief pitchers actually used to pitch more than one inning).

You think the Reds' attendance was paltry tonight? Well, a grand total of 3,743 paid masochists witnessed the less than titanic struggle at Wrigley 40 years ago today between the Reds and Cubs.

Records:

'82 Reds 7-11
    '22 Reds 3- 15
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 04-28-2022 at 12:21 AM.

Today the Reds clinched their worst April winning percentage since at least 1953, back in the pre-Frank Robinson era, when they had a .222 record in April. (In 1955 they had a .250 percentage, but by losing today they clinched a worse April percentage than the 1955 team.) If they don't win the next two, they will clinch a worse April percentage than that 1953 team (fat chance... or is it slim chance?)
    Last edited by seligstinks; 04-28-2022 at 07:34 PM. Reason: adding data

11. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (04-28-2022)

The '82 Reds also lost on this day 40 years ago. The Reds were shutout 6-0 by Dickie Noles. Only a fourth-inning single to left by Eddie Milner kept the Reds from being no-hit. Former Red Steve Henderson hit a two-run triple off of Tom Seaver(anyone remember the connection between those two?), who dropped to 0-3. Jose Morales also had a two-run triple for the Cubs, who dropped the Reds' record to 7-12, and raised their own record to the same mark.

A total of 5,335 loyal fans paid to see this one, which took only an hour and 51 minutes to complete.

'82 Reds : 7-12
    '22 Reds : 3-16

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    The '82 Reds also lost on this day 40 years ago. The Reds were shutout 6-0 by Dickie Noles. Only a fourth-inning single to left by Eddie Milner kept the Reds from being no-hit. Former Red Steve Henderson hit a two-run triple off of Tom Seaver(anyone remember the connection between those two?), who dropped to 0-3. Jose Morales also had a two-run triple for the Cubs, who dropped the Reds' record to 7-12, and raised their own record to the same mark.

A total of 5,335 loyal fans paid to see this one, which took only an hour and 51 minutes to complete.

'82 Reds : 7-12
    '22 Reds : 3-16
    Henderson was one of the ones traded for Seaver. I think the Reds traded five players for Seaver. Pat Zachary and Dan Norman were two others that I remember. I remember that game you mentioned. I'm sure I watched it on WGN as they carried nearly every Cubs game back then.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

14. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (04-29-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Henderson was one of the ones traded for Seaver. I think the Reds traded five players for Seaver. Pat Zachary and Dan Norman were two others that I remember. I remember that game you mentioned. I'm sure I watched it on WGN as they carried nearly every Cubs game back then.
    I watched a lot of Cubs' games on WGN and a lot of Braves' games on the Superstation , WTBS. Got a double dose of Carays, with Harry in Chicago and Skip in Atlanta. RIP to both of them.

I remember the 82 Reds, it was the first time since becoming a baseball fan my team did not have success on the field. At least back then fans had recent memories of the Big Red Machine, the most successful era in franchise history. Today we have recent memories of a near .500 team that lost two playoffs games in the Covid season and last year's 84-78 Reds who looked like they were going to make it into the postseason before fading in September. Not a bad season as far as recent Reds seasons go, but not nearly enough amnesty put in the bank to tolerate this year's disaster.

17. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (04-29-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    4 players and the other one was Doug Flynn.

This is about the only thread I check regularly now. Need my morning update.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    This is about the only thread I check regularly now. Need my morning update.
    Thank you. I really appreciate that. I plan on keeping it going if there are enough folks who are interested. I have dozens of notebooks filled with detailed boxscores and personal notes of Reds' games from my youth. I rarely if ever missed a Reds' game from the early seventies up through the nineties. The Reds were a MAJOR part of my childhood and young adult life. I look back fondly on those times. I miss them but I'm thankful for the memories.

21. Likes:

Bob Sheed (04-30-2022),fondfoat (05-01-2022),membengal (04-30-2022)

I was in seventh grade for the fateful 1982 season / I love the nostalgia of this thread frankly and find it a good way to cope with the unfolding disaster that is this season.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Turn Off Ads?