Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Football 2022

Re: NCAA Football 2022

Lot of talk that it’ll end up being 20 team Big Ten and SEC. SEC likely to raid the ACC and Big Ten raiding the PAC.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Utah brings nothing to speak of (other than a pretty solid football program.)

If they push further I think it will be Arizona, Arizona St, Stanford and Colorado.

Colorado makes sense because it major market (Denver, yes I know its Boulder, but Denver is a short drive) and it kinda gives Nebraska a branch and a traditional rival.

Arizona and Arizona state bring Phoenix and the entire state. Stanford gives you the Bay Area.

They would be adding the 2nd, 6th, 11th, and 16th TV markets.
    I said Utah only because of geography and BYU being a natural rival. But yeah Stanford makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I thought I heard the ACC had a crazy buy out if one team tried to leave the conference.

FWIW I don't like the way things are headed, but its been that way since Nebraska bolted for the B1G.

While ND is the team that most belongs in the B1G, if you are going to expand, getting USC is probably the biggest fish out there.

The B1G will need to further expand because you need to give an olive branch out there to USC and UCLA. The next furthest west team can't be Nebraska.

One thing I never thought of with Conference expansion was inventory. The more teams, the more conference games, the more quality games, the more you can sell to a network. The more you can make with a streaming service.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I thought I heard the ACC had a crazy buy out if one team tried to leave the conference.

FWIW I don't like the way things are headed, but its been that way since Nebraska bolted for the B1G.

While ND is the team that most belongs in the B1G, if you are going to expand, getting USC is probably the biggest fish out there.

The B1G will need to further expand because you need to give an olive branch out there to USC and UCLA. The next furthest west team can't be Nebraska.

One thing I never thought of with Conference expansion was inventory. The more teams, the more conference games, the more quality games, the more you can sell to a network. The more you can make with a streaming service.
    I have a hard time believing the SEC is going to poach the ACC given the SEC is already in a lot of established markets (South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky). The Virginia and North Carolina schools maybe?

Then again no other school in the Big 12 fits the SEC profile either.

It’s an arms race at this point so who knows.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Big Ten West!

It won't be long and there will be 4 conferences with 16 teams each. That will be the super D-1 division. Everyone else will be on the outside looking in.
    It'll be 2 conferences, maybe 24 or 20 teams each.

Colorado, Washington, Oregon, will be begging the Big10x2 for a shot, the ACC members will be trying to get into the SEC.

Chaos, we're about to have a coast to coach college sports conference.
    Go Gators!

7. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (06-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I have a hard time believing the SEC is going to poach the ACC given the SEC is already in a lot of established markets (South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky). The Virginia and North Carolina schools maybe?

Then again no other school in the Big 12 fits the SEC profile either.

It’s an arms race at this point so who knows.
    It's not just about markets but match ups, that's why Texas got in even though A&M threw a tantrum, Florida and USCe will probably have to hold their nose as one of the ACC Florida schools and Clemson till get an invite.
    Go Gators!

College football is drunk. This just doesn't feel right to me.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    College football is drunk. This just doesn't feel right to me.
    It is gross and will only speed up the trend of college football's death on the West Coast. I do not see USC or UCLA fan bases showing up when Purdue, Maryland or about 10 other teams in the Big10 come to town. It is capitalism operating in an environment that was never designed or intended to focus on gross revenue. That "Alliance" really held up.....I mean I thought it was full proof after they looked each other in the eye and shook hands!

- clearly there seems to be more shoes to drop. Seems like the common narrative is the Big10 going after Washington and Oregon. The makes sense, but this is still decisions being made by school presidents, and I could see them preferring the academic pedigree of Stanford and Cal.

- Not sure what moves the SEC has if they feel the need. Everyone keeps mentioning the top ACC teams, but nobody has offered a way to free those teams for their grant of rights deal that last through 2036. I thought Oklahoma/Texas may have been a test case to challenge the grant of rights, but it appears they believe they would not be successful. If that is the case.....ACC teams are not going anywhere as long as there is an ACC conference (based one what has been reported publicly in regards to the grant of rights deal.)

- Just like ACC teams, reports are Notre Dame has 2 options. Remain independent or join the ACC.

- I think the Big12 is in a stronger position than the PAC12, and would be in a much stronger position if the PAC12 sheds 2 more schools. The Big12 could find itself in an unfamiliar role of being the hunter.....seeking to secure their position as the 3rd conference by grabbing Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado.

- As a WVU fan, I am not concerned at all just like I was not when Oklahoma and Texas exited. I am confident WVU will remain in a solid position. The Big12 could strengthen, or there is still a case that WVU could be a fit in the ACC or SEC.

- The ACC really only has one move that moves the needle to keep them in the big leagues long term.....convincing Notre Dame to join. If they could pull that off, then there would be logic in adding an additional team to get to 16 teams.....and I think WVU would be the best option.

- If the ACC and Notre Dame are not options, the SEC's only path is likely to look at the Big12. In that scenario, I think WVU and OK State would be best options.

- Personally, I would prefer the Big12 strengthen and WVU remain in the Big12.....although the ACC would be attractive from a regional/rival perspective. I personally hate the thought of these Super Conferences (SEC and Big10) because it takes that magical season from unlikely to nearly impossible for teams like Purdue, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi State, etc. These fan bases will basically have to accept a very good season being 6-5.....and most seasons being well under .500. I just do not think that is sustainable to maintain fan interest.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Big Ten and SEC work together to destroy the ACC. I don't think the grant of rights is as big of an issue as people make it seem.

If the SEC and Big Ten want to poach ACC members, they're going to do it and nothing will stop them. Expansion will continue whenever those conferences say so. Until then, you have the Pac-12, Big XII and ACC just hoping to be the last other conference standing.

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the Big Ten and SEC work together to destroy the ACC. I don't think the grant of rights is as big of an issue as people make it seem.
    ok....you could be correct....but based on what? Everyone said that Texas and Oklahoma would be able to challenge the GOA when they first announced their plans, yet they are still in the Big12.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

First, if 6-8 members of the ACC left for the Big Ten or SEC at the same time, I think the ACC's GOR would cease to exist.

However, even if it did remain in place, the money generated solely by media rights for the Big Ten/SEC is insane. Whatever money ACC schools would have to give up in the short-term they'd make back within a decade. You're talking double and perhaps TRIPLE what their current conferences are giving them. Besides, it's not like these major institutions are hurting for money. They can handle a big hit upfront and not miss a beat.

Then there's Notre Dame. It's pretty clear that being an independent is no longer sustainable. They're going to have to join a conference and obviously the Big Ten make far greater sense than the SEC. Unfortunately for them, the special treatment is over because they certainly aren't going to get that in either of the two major conferences.

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-01-2022)

Whelp, here we go. Again. So, let's ignore the reams of contracts and some of the politics that will need ironed out between here and there, because we're clearly going there and it's only a matter of how much time it takes to get there. The consensus is that we're staring down two super conferences and then... who knows? But, I think there is a way to cobble up everything else into somewhat of a coherent third large conference, though far less "super" than what the B1G and SEC are about to become. The good news for UC fans is, I think the current life raft situation remains afloat, at least compared to the fates of every school not left standing in the remaining three. And I do think it will be three conferences instead of two to form the latest iteration of Division 1-A, even if it's a two-horse race. Three conferences will smooth over the concerns of the Congress critters and statehouses, and it leaves a larger pool of teams for out-of-conference games. So, here's how I build out the three super conferences:

B1G goes to 24 schools by adding: USC, UCLA (both confirmed already), Stanford, Cal, Washington and Oregon, leaving a west coast nucleus of the highest value programs. They also add Notre Dame (it's now or never for them), UVA, UNC and Duke. The PAC-12 dissolves.

SEC goes to 20 schools by adding: Clemson, Florida State, Miami, and VaTech. I had debated Georgia Tech instead for a number of reasons, but the Hokies fit the cultural profile better, and the SEC already owns Atlanta.

The Third Conference Whose Name Doesn't Matter will then consist of all the current Big XII schools, the remnants of the ACC and the PAC-12 minus Oregon State and Washington State, and adding Memphis. This results in 24 schools that "cleanly" divide up geographically into four pods of six schools (heavily motivated by my desire to reassemble the old Big East gang):

- Pod 1 (Northeast): BC, Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, UC, and Louisville
    - Pod 2 (Southeast): NC State, Georgia Tech, UCF, Houston, Wake Forest and Memphis
    - Pod 3 (basically the OG Big XII): Baylor, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, and TCU
    - Pod 4 (Mountains): Texas Tech, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, BYU, and Colorado

Memphis gets the lifeline of a century by virtue of geography, fanbase, and financial commitments towards facilities. Oregon State and Washington State take it in the shorts big time and emerge the biggest losers in the last four decades of realignment. The 3CWNDM is looking at a $50M less in media revenue each year compared to the B1G and the SEC, but they will be able to keep the lights on.

There ya go. 68 schools make it "in", all others are told to kiss the ring and kindly leave.
    Last edited by paintmered; 07-01-2022 at 09:29 AM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Whelp, here we go. Again. So, let's ignore the reams of contracts and some of the politics that will need ironed out between here and there, because we're clearly going there and it's only a matter of how much time it takes to get there. The consensus is that we're staring down two super conferences and then... who knows? But, I think there is a way to cobble up everything else into somewhat of a coherent third large conference, though far less "super" than what the B1G and SEC are about to become. The good news for UC fans is, I think the current life raft situation remains afloat, at least compared to the fates of every school not left standing in the remaining three. And I do think it will be three conferences instead of two to form the latest iteration of Division 1-A, even if it's a two-horse race. Three conferences will smooth over the concerns of the Congress critters and statehouses, and it leaves a larger pool of teams for out-of-conference games. So, here's how I build out the three super conferences:

B1G goes to 24 schools by adding: USC, UCLA (both confirmed already), Stanford, Cal, Washington and Oregon, leaving a west coast nucleus of the highest value programs. They also add Notre Dame (it's now or never for them), UVA, UNC and Duke. The PAC-12 dissolves.

SEC goes to 20 schools by adding: Clemson, Florida State, Miami, and VaTech. I had debated Georgia Tech instead for a number of reasons, but the Hokies fit the cultural profile better, and the SEC already owns Atlanta.

The Third Conference Whose Name Doesn't Matter will then consist of all the current Big XII schools, the remnants of the ACC and the PAC-12 minus Oregon State and Washington State, and adding Memphis. This results in 24 schools that "cleanly" divide up geographically into four pods of six schools (heavily motivated by my desire to reassemble the old Big East gang):

- Pod 1 (Northeast): BC, Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, UC, and Louisville
    - Pod 2 (Southeast): NC State, Georgia Tech, UCF, Houston, Wake Forest and Memphis
    - Pod 3 (basically the OG Big XII): Baylor, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, and TCU
    - Pod 4 (Mountains): Texas Tech, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, BYU, and Colorado

Memphis gets the lifeline of a century by virtue of geography, fanbase, and financial commitments towards facilities. Oregon State and Washington State take it in the shorts big time and emerge the biggest losers in the last four decades of realignment. The 3CWNDM is looking at a $50M less in media revenue each year compared to the B1G and the SEC, but they will be able to keep the lights on.

There ya go. 68 schools make it "in", all others are told to kiss the ring and kindly leave.
    I think the SEC goes for UNC next. Football is solid and basketball would be huge plus getting into that media market. Could see Virginia and/or Va Tech. Which leaves NC State or Duke and I think the SEC takes Raleigh and football over Dukes horrible football program despite basketball.

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-01-2022)

I dont remember a lot of these SEC/Southern football fans saying a word when OU and Texas went to the SEC but now USC and UCLA are going to the big ten: "College football is ruined"
    What would you say.....ya do here?

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-01-2022),RiverRat13 (07-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I think the SEC goes for UNC next. Football is solid and basketball would be huge plus getting into that media market. Could see Virginia and/or Va Tech. Which leaves NC State or Duke and I think the SEC takes Raleigh and football over Dukes horrible football program despite basketball.
    Certainly possible, though I suppose it's a matter of whether the B1G or the SEC gets to them first. I threw them towards the B1G primarily due to their academic profiles and a desire to not separate UNC and Duke.

I also agree that the SEC would prefer NC State over Duke.
    Last edited by paintmered; 07-01-2022 at 10:02 AM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?