Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Football 2022

Re: NCAA Football 2022

^^^conferences have realigned since the invention of college football, but the primary reason of television money did not really begin until Miami and others exited the Big East. In hindsight we learned how much ESPN was involved with the promise of a new tv deal and conference network, and have remained involved in moving the pieces on the board. Today Fox has joined ESPN as being an invisible hand helping move pieces for the sole purpose of maximizing revenue. Up until then, most of the realignment was built around regional ties, breaking away to form a new conference for more control, petty infighting, etc. For example, most of the SEC and ACC was formed by members of the Southern Conference.....and while I am sure money was an issue, it was likely more about controlling money than the thought of exponentially growing revenue.....because there simply was not a path like television to make that happen.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yeah, but does the reason matter? The results are the same.

The money is exponentially bigger and there is an avenue for basically everyone to be on TV because people like it and watch and want to watch it more. That’s a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Yeah, but does the reason matter? The results are the same.

The money is exponentially bigger and there is an avenue for basically everyone to be on TV because people like it and watch and want to watch it more. That’s a good thing.
    but that is the thing.....the results are not the same. When the SEC broke away from the Southern Conference, they chose mostly like minded schools culturally, academically, and especially regionally. The same for the ACC.....and when the Big12 formed, they did not try to get Boston College or Washington to join. College football was built on the cultural and regional ties of the schools and fan bases. We have continued to push those limits chasing dollars, but I think there is a chance that the Big10's reach this time may be the breaking point and have diminished returns. I do not think USC and UCLA will thrive in the Big10.....I actually doubt either will have much success at all over time. I have zero doubt that it will damage West Coast football, and the problem is that once we head down this path, we simply can't restore it back if we realize it did not work as expected. Is the Big10 a better more entertaining product with Maryland and Rutgers? Did Missouri improve the SEC? Heck, on a net basis over the long term has WVU improved the Big12. It is hard to identify a program that went from one power conference to a new power conference in modern history, and both the school and conference benefitted with a better product on the field with maybe the exception of Texas A&M. They rarely bolster to the conference product, and the schools mostly become less relevant in the overall landscape......and I think this is a direct result of money driving the realignment instead of historical reasons for realignment.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

5. Likes:

Boss-Hog (07-12-2022),RedsBaron (07-18-2022),Revering4Blue (07-12-2022),Slyder (07-12-2022)

Yeah I don’t disagree with a lot of that. I think the regional part goes back to what I was saying about how for a long time college football had a really stupid way of choosing it’s champions. We didn’t really KNOW who the best team was because very often they never played each other. So yeah that allowed for more regionality. And I will say I don’t want to see this expansion kill off rivalries. It has sucked that Texas and Texas A&M haven’t been playing. Same with Oklahoma Nebraska and the UNC/Duke basketball rivalry if UNC does end up in the SEC. But they’ve largely stayed or in the Texas case will be coming back.

By moving to a playoff, which I think it’s hard to argue isn’t better and more interesting, and likely a larger playoff some time soon, it just starts to make more and more sense to have larger conferences and less regional impact.

Specific to your USC/UCLA big ten point, I’d be shocked if the Big Ten doesn’t add 4 more schools with at least 2 or 3 being from the current PAC by the time they join in 2024. It is certainly a little odd and probably not the best competitively if it ends up just them, but I don’t think it will.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Last edited by Assembly Hall; 07-13-2022 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I'm not really getting this:

Notre Dame would remain independent if it can earn at least $75 million annually in media rights revenue from current broadcast partner NBC, sources told CBS Sports. The Fighting Irish's deal with the network is set to expire in 2025.

For NBC to feel comfortable raising Notre Dame's valuation to such a level, it is seeking "shoulder programming" (in this case, games played before and/or after Notre Dame's contests) from a Power Five conference to enhance its college football coverage.

When such a move had been speculated previously, the Big Ten was the conference mentioned most often as a target. However, the Big 12 has emerged as a strong option to fill NBC's shoulder programming needs
    OK, that shoulder programming from the Big 12 would most certainly come with another price tag. ND isn't sending any of its $75 mill to the Big 12.

These numbers seem pretty daunting. I'm thinking ND's best bet is to head to the Big Ten

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm not really getting this:

OK, that shoulder programming from the Big 12 would most certainly come with another price tag. ND isn't sending any of its $75 mill to the Big 12.

These numbers seem pretty daunting. I'm thinking ND's best bet is to head to the Big Ten
    First, let's see if NBC does indeed pony up the $75 mill for ND. But remember NBC is going to be in negotiations for other conference's games as well.

12. Likes:

Chip R (07-20-2022)

Even if they get 75 million it will still pale in comparison to what the bigmac and SEC schools will be getting.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Even if they get 75 million it will still pale in comparison to what the bigmac and SEC schools will be getting.
    Keep in mind the Irish will also get some ACC money to go along with the NBC cash.

Keep in mind the Irish will also get some ACC money to go along with the NBC cash.
    ND is in a precarious situation. The way the conferences are going, and super conferences are the end game, ND's status as a independent may end up being their doom.

You can have an agreement with the ACC, but if FSU, Miami, Clemson, and UNC (Who have been rumored to head to the SEC) all leave, who are you playing?

For years ND to the B1G made too much sense. Natural rivalries like Michigan, MSU, and Purdue, now USC and then you have the regional, but we aren't going to play rivalry against OSU.

I won't shed a tear for ND if they are left on the outside because of their arrogance, but it would create some fun games if they do join the B1G.

16. Likes:

Assembly Hall (07-20-2022),Revering4Blue (07-20-2022)

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/col...ll-tv-ratings/

This has the TV ratings from week to week last season. You can scroll through and you’ll notice that ND is hardly ever at the top or even near it and is usually in the 1-3M viewers range. If they can get $75M good for them, but it seems like a huge stretch.

18. Likes:

Assembly Hall (07-20-2022),Chip R (07-21-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    ND is in a precarious situation. The way the conferences are going, and super conferences are the end game, ND's status as a independent may end up being their doom.

You can have an agreement with the ACC, but if FSU, Miami, Clemson, and UNC (Who have been rumored to head to the SEC) all leave, who are you playing?

For years ND to the B1G made too much sense. Natural rivalries like Michigan, MSU, and Purdue, now USC and then you have the regional, but we aren't going to play rivalry against OSU.

I won't shed a tear for ND if they are left on the outside because of their arrogance, but it would create some fun games if they do join the B1G.
    Notre Dame's reluctance to join the B1G has baffled me for years. I am to the point where I truly believed they are scared. Scared that the rigors of playing in the B1G will rub some gold off that dome.

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-20-2022),Sea Ray (07-20-2022)

Notre Dame's reluctance to join the B1G has baffled me for years. I am to the point where I truly believed they are scared. Scared that the rigors of playing in the B1G will rub some gold off that dome.
    Things may be changing with Marcus Freeman, but ND always struck me as a team that was good, not great, but could make the playoff if everything broke right for them. Then when put on the field with top competition were exposed as frauds. The remind me of a good Wisconsin team, capable enough to run the table if the schedule breaks for them, but then when they see OSU in the title game its a whole different stroy.

ND's rise as of late has been due to the contract with the ACC and soft ACC portion of their schedule (sans the years they had to play Clemson) as well as USC and Stanford being dumpster fires.

Just looked at their schedule this season, good luck Marcus Freeman!

22. Likes:

Assembly Hall (07-20-2022),Chip R (07-21-2022),Revering4Blue (07-20-2022),Sea Ray (07-20-2022)

Turn Off Ads?