Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023 Reds

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

2023 Reds

Now that the dust has settled, here's my best guess at where the Reds' 26-man roster stands for the 2023 season if they make zero moves. I'm bolding who I consider locks.

C Tyler Stephenson
    1B Joey Votto
    2B Jonathan India
    3B Mike Moustakas
    SS Kyle Farmer

LF Albert Almora Jr.
    CF Nick Senzel
    RF Aristides Aquino

C Aramis Garcia
    IF Max Schrock
    IF Matt Reynolds

OF Jake Fraley
    OF TJ Friedl

SP Hunter Greene
    SP Nick Lodolo
    SP Graham Ashcraft

SP Brandon Williamson
    SP Connor Overton

RP Alexis Diaz
    RP Luis Cessa
    RP Tejay Antone
    RP Jeff Hoffman
    RP Lucas Sims
    RP Tony Santillan

RP Justin Wilson
    RP Reiver Sanmartin

That roster is going to cost around $90 million by my eyeball test. The 2022 opening day payroll was $114 million. Opening day 2023 should bump to at least $125 million with sights set on no less than $140 million for 2024 (should be closer to $160 million).

So my question is: Is there anything the Reds can do this offseason to take a big step toward relevance? Let's say they have around $30-35 million to play with.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

2. Likes:

corkedbat (09-09-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2023 Reds

1. No way Moustakas is wheeled out to play third on a regular basis at this point.

2. Justin Wilson probably will not pitch at all in 2023.

As far as spending 35 million goes (not that ownership will do it) I'd target 10 million for a corner OF, 10 million for another starting pitcher, and lesser amounts for bullpen help and maybe a for-realzies backup catcher.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2023 Reds

MM should not even show up to Goodyear much more be the Reds opening day 3rd baseman.

Time to DFA him and move on.

Invite all 31 flavors of our shortstops to camp, tell them “we have an opening” and move Farmer to 3rd.

6. Likes:

CySeymour (08-04-2022),goldglover9 (08-14-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    So my question is: Is there anything the Reds can do this offseason to take a big step toward relevance? Let's say they have around $30-35 million to play with.
    If the Reds wanted to make a splash. Sign Benintendi and Nimmo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

8. Likes:

NC Reds (08-07-2022)

Knee-jerk: Sign OF Andrew Benintendi for 4/75. He slots in the 2 hole behind India and gives them a proven on-base threat with solid defense.

Sign SP Zach Eflin for 4/55. Good GB/FB rates, has been hurt but shown flashes of being a possible legitimate 2 starter.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

10. Likes:

goldglover9 (08-14-2022),sdwagers (08-02-2022),SomeCallMeTim (08-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by sdwagers View Post
    If the Reds wanted to make a splash. Sign Benintendi and Nimmo.
    This. Or perhaps Benintendi and Conforto. Either way the corner OF spots must be addressed, and there’s nothing in the system that will be arriving anytime soon. I’d give Benintendi a 3 year deal, it shouldn’t be too expensive.

From the OP, I think the left side of the infield will be Barrero and Steer, with Farmer in LF standing ready to fill in should either one falter. Moustakas or Solano (if he’s re-signed) could be DH unless CES or McGarry beats down the door.
    Last edited by Benihana; 08-02-2022 at 10:52 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

12. Likes:

sdwagers (08-02-2022),SomeCallMeTim (08-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post
    MM should not even show up to Goodyear much more be the Reds opening day 3rd baseman.
    I agree with the sentiment, but no way this FO swallows $18 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Or Conforto.
    Good news - Conforto has been out for 2022 with an injury and would be likely a cheaper acquisition (remember Ron Gant)

Bad news- Conforto has Scott Boras as an agent.

I agree though Conforto is a good corner target.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

That is one terrible outfield, Aquino needs to be off to his next destination, Moose for DH.
    Go Gators!

16. Likes:

GAC (09-18-2022),REDREAD (08-15-2022)

Signing Benintendi and Conforto would make next year's team instant division contenders. We don't need to spend big money on a closer. Diaz is that guy. Those 2 OF and Cueto would be a great off season.

I've got the following 2023n Opening Day lineup, if no one is signed and Justin Wilson is sent packing:

C Tyler Stephenson
    C Mark Koloszvary
    1B Joey Votto
    2B Jonathan India
    3B Spencer Steer
    SS Jose Barrero
    LF Jake Fraley
    CF Nick Senzel
    RF Aristides Aquino
    UT Kyle Farmer
    UT Mike Moustakas
    UT Max Schrock
    OF Stuart Fairchild
    SP Hunter Greene
    SP Nick Lodolo
    SP Graham Ashcraft
    SP Collin Overton
    SP Brandon Williamson
    RP Justin Dunn
    RP Tejay Antone
    RP Tony Santillan
    RP Jeff Hoffman
    RP Lucas Sims
    RP Luis Cessa
    RP Alexis Diaz
    RP Reiver Sanmartin

I've got just south of $80M for that load of flotsam. Cessa, Sims, and Hoffman could be jettisoned to save a bit of cash (around $6M), but that's unlikely, IMO. (Krall is almost assuredly going into 2023 with the idea of being able to add some help via the Trading Deadline-- he's going to need some guys to dangle.) If we assume Cincinnati will match this year's payroll, we're looking at $50M to spend. I'd target a couple of OF, offering all the PAs they might want, a one-season "prove it" contract, and a bandbox that could boost numbers. Off the top of my head, I'm guessing a guy like Wil Myers could be interested for somewhere around $10M. Maybe Mitch Haniger too. Stephen Piscotty, David Peralta, or even Adam Duvall could also be had for fairly cheap. I wouldn't target Conforto or Benintiendi unless I could get them on a two- or three-year deal simply because they're likely to be extremely expensive. I'd hope I could find league average production-- and maybe get lucky with another Brandon Drury or Tyler Naquin-- who can then be sent for more prospects.

I'd then look to sign a closer. I'd probably lean toward an old guy, as they're often cheaper. With small innings and little pressure, I'd hope to get lucky with gaudy numbers and a big return at the Trading Deadline. Kenley Jansen isn't likely going to cost too much (maybe $10M?), and a bullpen with Antone, Diaz, Dunn, Santillan, Hoffman, and Cessa would be a strength (for once) if everyone can stay relatively healthy. If not Jansen, maybe our old friend Aroldis might be amenable to a return engagement in Cincinnati. He'd be cheap, for sure, and could help in the clubhouse.

After that, I'd look for a mid-market starter veteran arm. Zack Greinke, if he wanted to pitch another season, would be one guy I'd be interested in. Johnny Cueto is another. Again, I'd look for older guys, trying to sell each of them on teaching the next generation and moving to a contender at the Trading Deadline. Someone is likely to bite at that opportunity.

SP Brandon Williamson, UT Matt McLain, 1B/3B/DH Christian Encarnacion-Strand, 1B/DH/LF Alex McGarry, SS/3B Elly De La Cruz, LHP Andrew Abbott, RHP Connor Phillips, C Daniel Vellojin, and CF Mike Siani should all be ready or in AAA sometime next year, with lots of guys behind them. They'll also be free and clear from the contracts of Votto and Moustakas.

19. Likes:

Mitri (08-03-2022)

The Reds had a payroll of $131M in 2021, and I add up about $75 million to return more or less this team plus whatever rookies graduate as it stands.

So there is really no excuse not to add a few major league pieces, even on mult-year deals that can help next year and get them closer to competing. Of course, they don't need to go crazy and overpay or reach for another Moose, but there should be some smart moves there.

Maybe Benintendi wouldn't mind coming home to Cincinnati. While we are in fantasy land, maybe Diaz will want to join his brother as a 1-2 punch in the same bullpen. The Reds have signed FA closers a few times before, actually. That might put them at $105-110 million or so.

They would need at least one starting pitcher as well, probably 2.

India 2B/3B
    Benintendi LF
    Stephenson C
    Votto 1B
    Steer DH
    {needed} RF
    Barrero SS
    {needed} 2B/3B
    Senzel CF

Farmer IF
    Moustakas IF
    Fraley OF
    {needed} C

SP {needed}
    SP Greene
    SP Ashcraft
    SP Lodolo
    SP {needed}

CL Diaz
    SU Diaz
    RP Santillan
    RP {needed}
    RP Antone/Sims/Cessa/whoever is healthy
    LR Hoffman
    LHRP Williamson
    LHRP San Martin

Still some key pieces missing, but it's the start, but with several young talents who should be knocking on the door.

Assuming Reds won’t pour too much money into 2023, I think the following moves would help most. This is intentionally modest.

1. LHH corner outfielder. Benintendi is the obvious guy but my guess is they’ll go cheaper.

2. Catcher to supplement Stephenson.

3. Starting pitcher better than Minor on short contract (1-2 years) and as much relief help as they’re willing to add.

#3 is really #1. Get the pitching down to a 4.5 ERA and that would be a good step to add some wins.

22. Likes:

mth123 (08-03-2022),REDREAD (08-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Assuming Reds won’t pour too much money into 2023, I think the following moves would help most. This is intentionally modest.

1. LHH corner outfielder. Benintendi is the obvious guy but my guess is they’ll go cheaper.

2. Catcher to supplement Stephenson.

3. Starting pitcher better than Minor and as much relief help as they’re willing to add.

#3 is really #1. Get the pitching down to a 4.5 ERA and that would be a good step to add some wins.
    Yes, I would say that pitching is the #1 prio, even on short-term deals. They need to protect the main trio as much as possible.

Worse case they should try to field a good defense behind them as well if they won't invest much into the offense.
    Last edited by CaiGuy; 08-03-2022 at 09:05 AM.

24. Likes:

mth123 (08-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    Signing Benintendi and Conforto would make next year's team instant division contenders. We don't need to spend big money on a closer. Diaz is that guy. Those 2 OF and Cueto would be a great off season.
    Bienentendi, Conforto and 8 new pitchers (2 starters and 6 guys for the pen). Then I think they could contend. You could add Judge and Ohtani (and Soto too! Aunty Em) to this line-up and they still wouldn't play .500 ball until the pitching becomes competent.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

26. Likes:

REDREAD (08-15-2022),Revering4Blue (08-03-2022)

Turn Off Ads?