Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NFL Season

Re: 2022 NFL Season

The NFL doesn't have to show anything. Per the CBA they're beholden to nobody. Per the CBA their ruling stands. I don't know where BuckeyeRed is getting this nonsense

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The NFL doesn't have to show anything. Per the CBA they're beholden to nobody. Per the CBA their ruling stands. I don't know where BuckeyeRed is getting this nonsense
    If they don’t they leave themselves very open to losing in court.

The NFL is banking on court throwing out the case like they have before if they just decide to change the punishment without showing any real cause separate from the initial ruling. But this isn’t the same CBA as with past lawsuits. I don’t know how a court will handle this of course, but it’s a big risk to the league’s case if they don’t show the initial ruling was just wrong because of something the judge missed or got wrong.

That said, I’m not totally sure the league wants this appeal to change anything. If this guy just upholds the initial ruling the nfl can say they did their best, Watson won’t sue, etc

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post

The NFL is banking on court throwing out the case like they have before if they just decide to change the punishment without showing any real cause separate from the initial ruling. But this isn’t the same CBA as with past lawsuits. I don’t know how a court will handle this of course, but it’s a big risk to the league’s case if they don’t show the initial ruling was just wrong because of something the judge missed or got wrong.

That said, I’m not totally sure the league wants this appeal to change anything. If this guy just upholds the initial ruling the nfl can say they did their best, Watson won’t sue, etc
    I think you're overstating the chances that an outside court would overturn this. As I quoted a source earlier:

She quoted a labor law expert who said, because of that clause, whatever the NFL brings back will be airtight against judicial overturn.
    Let's see what Goodell does

I think you're overstating the chances that an outside court would overturn this. As I quoted a source earlier:

Let's see what Goodell does
    They are being very reliant on how courts have treated cases in the past, but again this is a different CBA. Like I said, I don’t know how the court will handle it, but if the NFL thinks they can do whatever they want without showing a good reason, they are taking a big risk. That’s all I’m saying.

The NFLPA can sue but they will probably lose. The league is following the CBA. Looks like the league will go for a minimum of 12 games and a fine and possibly try the indefinite suspension and having to reapply after a year. The worst outcome here for the Browns would be Watson sues, the suspension is put on hold and he plays half a season while the case goes through the court, then the suspension is upheld and he misses the end of this year and a significant portion of next year.

- - - Updated - - -

but if the NFL thinks they can do whatever they want without showing a good reason, they are taking a big risk. That’s all I’m saying.
    They aren't doing whatever they want. They are following the CBA.

7. Likes:

dubc47834 (08-09-2022),membengal (08-06-2022),Sea Ray (08-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    The NFLPA can sue but they will probably lose. The league is following the CBA. Looks like the league will go for a minimum of 12 games and a fine and possibly try the indefinite suspension and having to reapply after a year. The worst outcome here for the Browns would be Watson sues, the suspension is put on hold and he plays half a season while the case goes through the court, then the suspension is upheld and he misses the end of this year and a significant portion of next year.

- - - Updated - - -

They aren't doing whatever they want. They are following the CBA.
    I mean doing whatever they want in terms of punishment. The CBA says you can appeal, but the appeal isn’t a rehearing of the case. You are making a case why the ruling is wrong and that’s it. If the NFL says nope it’s a full season because we think this was bad…well that may be true, but it’s not a reason, at least not one that will hold up in court if it ends up there.

The big question here is, if the Browns simply provide prostitutes dressed up as massage therapists, will it ruin the "thrill of the chase" for Watson?
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Let the outside court overturn it. Then the NFL's hands are washed of it, they tried for a harsher penalty, judge said no, thats not on the NFL.

11. Likes:

RiverRat13 (08-05-2022)

I mean doing whatever they want in terms of punishment. The CBA says you can appeal, but the appeal isn’t a rehearing of the case. You are making a case why the ruling is wrong and that’s it. If the NFL says nope it’s a full season because we think this was bad…well that may be true, but it’s not a reason, at least not one that will hold up in court if it ends up there.
    Courts are loathe to get involved in CBAs. I disagree with you that the NFL would lose if it ends up in court

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Let the outside court overturn it. Then the NFL's hands are washed of it, they tried for a harsher penalty, judge said no, thats not on the NFL.
    That’s why I think Roger isn’t just hearing this himself.

- - - Updated - - -

Courts are loathe to get involved in CBAs. I disagree with you that the NFL would lose if it ends up in court
    I haven’t said they would because I don’t know what they are going to say. That’s sorta been my question here. What does the NFL plan on saying Judge Rice did wrong?

Brady had his thrown out in court. The other person who went to court had his thrown out, too.

Goodell will pick someone who will basically speak for him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    The big question here is, if the Browns simply provide prostitutes dressed up as massage therapists, will it ruin the "thrill of the chase" for Watson?
    Completely removes the predatory and violent aspect of it, so yes.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

And I’m not arguing that, but that was all part of the case where it was ruled a 6 game suspension. Again the league has to show reason why that’s wrong beyond we think it should be more. They thought it should be more before and that wasn’t the ruling. So what are they going to say that they didn’t say before?
    The blackening of the league. Puts a dark aura on it.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    The blackening of the league. Puts a dark aura on it.
    Sure. That was the case the first time and it was 6 games. It’s not a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Watson did say publicly that he didn't care how qualified they were to actually give massages. Would he even know?

Sure. That was the case the first time and it was 6 games. It’s not a reason.
    The bottomline is that the Commissioner is a Czar, the NFL has a very weak player's union. Goodell will get what he wants. Goodell just fined the Dolphins' Owner $1.5M and took two draft picks from him for tampering.

Goodell will want to make this fine 10% of his gauranteed money of his new contract AND a one-year suspension. A new bar will be set. He's not going to let Watson appear on an NFL field for at least a year, in practice or at a game...not even as a fan. He'll be banned. It will also send a message to Haslem, and basically a fine to Haslem, because Haslem will be paying that 10%. That contract completely screwed up the financial balance of the NFL and Haslem is the cause. There will be a monetary price to pay by Haslem through Watson.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-05-2022 at 04:23 PM.

Turn Off Ads?