Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is rooting against Reds who were traded wrong?

Re: Is rooting against Reds who were traded wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Oh it's true. The breaking point between DeWitt and Robinson was the knife incident and DeWitt let him sit in jail.
    I thought Robby was arrested at Frisch’s on Central Parkway for carrying a gun not a knife.

2. Likes:

mth123 (05-26-2023),westofyou (05-26-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I thought Robby was arrested at Frisch’s on Central Parkway for carrying a gun not a knife.
    This is what I remember. Maybe there is another incident with a knife I don’t know of.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

5. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-26-2023)

I remember all the crap Red's fans got from M fans when their beloved Griffey Jr signed here.

I don't root either way for ex-Red players. Trades are very much part of the game. Even more nowadays. Now I have felt angry about some (Frank Robinson, Lee May) lol
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    This is what I remember. Maybe there is another incident with a knife I don’t know of.
    Here's what wiki says:

On February 9, 1961, Robinson pulled a .25 caliber pistol during an argument in a Cincinnati restaurant. He pleaded guilty on March 20 to a charge of carrying a concealed weapon and was sentenced to pay a $250 fine (equivalent to $2,267 in 2021).

Here's the source:

https://www.newspapers.com/article/9...ty-to-weapons/

8. Likes:

Big Klu (05-26-2023),cumberlandreds (05-26-2023),Old school 1983 (05-26-2023),REDREAD (05-26-2023),Ron Madden (05-26-2023),Roy Tucker (05-26-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Here's what wiki says:

On February 9, 1961, Robinson pulled a .25 caliber pistol during an argument in a Cincinnati restaurant. He pleaded guilty on March 20 to a charge of carrying a concealed weapon and was sentenced to pay a $250 fine (equivalent to $2,267 in 2021).

Here's the source:

yikes, and we freaked out over Mike Leake shoplifting a couple of Tshirts
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Here's what wiki says:

Here's the source:

The way my father tells it, that fight - and others - were over the fact that he was with a white woman.

11. Likes:

LeatherPants (05-26-2023),Old school 1983 (05-26-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    The way my father tells it, that fight - and others - were over the fact that he was with a white woman.
    His wife is a white woman

Maybe it was his wife
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 05-26-2023 at 11:15 AM.

I've always felt there's no right or wrong answer when it comes to rooting for or against a traded player...unless that player goes to a hated arch-rival. In the REDS' case, the Cardinals. I wouldn't root for any player if they ended up on the Cardinals. Could a Boston fan root for Clemens when he left for the Yankees?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

If the player came from the Reds organization, I root for them. The better the organization performs at producing quality players, the more seriously they will be taken in negotiations both for trades and free agents. If it was a hired gun, I usually don’t care. I consider a guy like Castillo from the organization for this purpose. I’d also consider guys like Fraley Steer, Williamson, CES, etc from the organization.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If the player came from the Reds organization, I root for them. The better the organization performs at producing quality players, the more seriously they will be taken in negotiations both for trades and free agents. If it was a hired gun, I usually don’t care. I consider a guy like Castillo from the organization for this purpose. I’d also consider guys like Fraley Steer, Williamson, CES, etc from the organization.
    I would put Fraley in the same boat with Jonny Gomes, Laynce Nix, Scott Schebler, Adam Duvall, and Tyler Naquin.

It's too early to tell about the rest of them. Let's see how long they stay in the organization first.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

It's harder now to really become a fan of specific players on the Reds because you know it's temporary. I'm sure going to enjoy watching Elly De La Cruz play for the Reds, but when he's playing for the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, etc., it will be difficult to conjure anything but bile.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    It's harder now to really become a fan of specific players on the Reds because you know it's temporary. I'm sure going to enjoy watching Elly De La Cruz play for the Reds, but when he's playing for the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, etc., it will be difficult to conjure anything but bile.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    It's one of the reasons I have lost interest in the Reds, and haven't paid close attention to them this year. I'm not going to invest in these players when the Reds are nothing but a proving grounds for the high rollers.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (05-28-2023)

Last edited by Bob Sheed; 05-27-2023 at 03:12 PM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

20. Likes:

REDREAD (05-28-2023)

Geno walk-off vs Robert Stephenson.

Now I like that!

22. Likes:

bagz (05-29-2023),REDREAD (05-28-2023),Ron Madden (05-28-2023),WrongVerb (05-28-2023)

It's hard not to root for Geno. Such a Great Dude. I enjoyed his friendship and camaraderie(thank you spell checker) with Votto while he was a Red. Especially when they both danced after hitting a bomb.
    The Stop And Chat

24. Likes:

REDREAD (05-30-2023)

Turn Off Ads?