Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Starting Pitchers Rotation

Re: 2024 Starting Pitchers Rotation

Reds get badly needed win over Padres

Andrew Abbott was the latest Reds starting pitcher to provide a winning performance. During the Reds’ slide in May, the starting rotation has consistently pitched at a high level but hasn’t received enough run support.

Abbott, who expertly sequenced pitches and used the entire strike zone, generated one groundout after another on his way to pitching seven shutout innings.

Abbott’s performance took some pressure off of a lineup that has been pressing.

“There’s a lot of things that haven't been going our way,” Jake Fraley said. “That’s baseball. That’s why you play 162.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...BingNewsSearch

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-22-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

If you want to be nitpicky you could point out the less-than-ideal peripherals and the unsustainably low BABIP, but posters would seriously rather talk about the manager than this young pitcher who has a 2.68 ERA through 10 starts?

He's also an old-school lefty pitcher, so the old-timers should like him (and he looks like a straight up 80's pitcher).

bWAR (which is more focused on outcomes rather than FIP metrics) has him as the most productive player on the team, right above Greene (another guy who should be getting some buzz) and EDLC.

5. Likes:

Cherokee (05-22-2024),Kingspoint (05-22-2024),NebraskaRed (05-22-2024),Ron Madden (05-22-2024),westofyou (05-22-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    If you want to be nitpicky you could point out the less-than-ideal peripherals and the unsustainably low BABIP, but posters would seriously rather talk about the manager than this young pitcher who has a 2.68 ERA through 10 starts?

He's also an old-school lefty pitcher, so the old-timers should like him (and he looks like a straight up 80's pitcher).

bWAR (which is more focused on outcomes rather than FIP metrics) has him as the most productive player on the team, right above Greene (another guy who should be getting some buzz) and EDLC.
    I was telling my son that Abbott looks like he just needs a cigarette and a cup of coffee between innings and he’ll be good to go.

Love that guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Reds have ridden their pitching to a 4-game win streak, but how they’ve done it will surprise you
    As of Tuesday morning, the entirety of the Cincinnati pitching staff has been valued at 6.8 fWAR, meaning only three teams in all of baseball (Philadelphia, Boston, and Kansas City) have a more valuable overall staff, to date. It’s a combination effort, too - Cincinnati’s starting pitching unit ranks tied for 9th with 4.6 fWAR, their relief unit 4th best with 2.2 fWAR.

Great American Ball Park ranks as the single most homer-friendly in the game, per Baseball Savant’s park factors. That’s a title it has held in every single season since 2020, and I’m almost certain if I had the time to go back and check beyond 2020 I’d find that it led almost every single year in its existence.

It’s a tiny park, fly balls fly well there, and more often than anywhere else you’d expect fly balls to turn into front-row homers.

Yet somehow, Cincinnati’s pitching staff owns a meager 9.5% HR/FB rate, and only 3 teams in all of baseball have a lower mark - including the Royals, whose home park has consistently rated as one of the hardest-to-homer parks since its inception in 1973.
    Continue Reading Here
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...BingNewsSearch

8. Likes:

Fil3232 (05-28-2024),LiferJim (05-29-2024),Revering4Blue (06-06-2024),SirFelixCat (05-28-2024)

Who would have thought this team could throw Abbott and Montas out there in Colorado and the outs would be as follows

9 ground outs-4 fly outs-8 strike outs - 2 ground into double plays included
    8 ground outs-5 fly outs-12 strike outs

10. Likes:

dreghorntwo (06-06-2024),Revering4Blue (06-06-2024)

Ashcraft has been optioned to Louisville

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Interesting but with off days, they won't really need a 5th starter until late June (the 18th by my count looking at off days). That might end up being Williamson.
    Last edited by mth123; 06-06-2024 at 01:44 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (06-06-2024)

Does Martinez take the next Ashcraft start or do they plan to skip that rotation spot with off days on Monday and Thursday next week?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Does Martinez take the next Ashcraft start or do they plan to skip that rotation spot with off days on Monday and Thursday next week?
    I'm hoping not:

Greene, Lodolo, Abbott, Montas, Off Day (on the 10th)
    Greene, Lodolo, Off day (13th), Abbott, Montas
    Greene, Lodolo, (Need a 5th Starter (18th)

They have another off day on the 20th, so maybe they do a bullpen day and wait until the 25th to add a starter.
    Last edited by mth123; 06-06-2024 at 01:45 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

16. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (06-06-2024),Revering4Blue (06-06-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post

Cincinnati Reds option struggling rotation core RHP Graham Ashcraft to Triple-A Louisville
    The Cincinnati Reds on Thursday optioned struggling right-hander Graham Ashcraft to Triple-A Louisville.

Ashcraft, who lasted a season-low 3 2/3 innings in Wednesday’s start in Colorado, was 3-1 with a 3.63 ERA through six starts this year, averaging close to six innings per start.

He was 1-2 with a 6.83 ERA and less than 4 2/3 innings per start in his last six.

Ashcraft had a lengthy slump in May and early June last season until a bruised calf landed him on the injured list.

He had a 2.58 ERA with more than 6 1/3 innings per start over his final 12 starts, pitching through a broken toe in late August that eventually ended his season in early September.

He nonetheless led a battered rotation in starts, quality starts and innings pitched in 2023.
    Story Continues Here:
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...s/74000521007/

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm hoping not:

Greene, Lodolo, Abbott, Montas, Off Day (on the 10th)
    Greene, Lodolo, Off day (13th), Abbott, Montas
    Greene, Lodolo, (Need a 5th Starter (18th)

They have another off day on the 20th, so maybe they do a bullpen day and wait until the 25th to add a starter.
    Lodolo and Montas barely pitched last year. I think if Williamson is looking good I would throw him in Ashcraft's spot on the 10th. That would put a LHP in between Montas and Greene in the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Cincinnati Reds option struggling rotation core RHP Graham Ashcraft to Triple-A Louisville
    Story Continues Here:
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...s/74000521007/
    Beef with Bell on removal last night probably sealed this.

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Lodolo and Montas barely pitched last year. I think if Williamson is looking good I would throw him in Ashcraft's spot on the 10th. That would put a LHP in between Montas and Greene in the rotation.
    The other 4 are on a roll. Keep them on regular rest.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The other 4 are on a roll. Keep them on regular rest.
    I think we saw a shaky start when they tried to stretch Abbott's rest another day.

Brian Giesenschlag
    @BGiesenschlag

David Bell says there is no timetable for Ashcraft to return.

“He’s not at his best. He’s really close. We fully expect him to be part of our best team moving forward.”

Ashcraft will continue to work as a starter at AAA.
    "Part of our best team" might mean as a reliever not a starter

23. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-06-2024)

Turn Off Ads?