Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds Top Prospects - May 2024 Edition

Re: Reds Top Prospects - May 2024 Edition

Petty continues to limit homers at an elite rate. That might play well by the river.

2. Likes:

BuckeyeRedleg (05-25-2024),Tuff Nut (05-24-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Chattanooga continues to be mostly a graveyard for prospects in this organization. Just terrible putrid numbers from several players. I’m not talking about last years pick either. He’s just not that advanced as we thought. I’ll look at the few positives sure but wonder why so many stall there. I’m not talking just average. I’m talking time to look for a new career types. Austin Hendrick should be released at this point. What’s the point. Jacob Heatherley is another of those pitchers who you no longer care that they have a high K rate anymore. He can’t stop walking people and giving up hits and runs. So many of these types all for the sake of velocity and spin rate or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I’m talking time to look for a new career types. Austin Hendrick should be released at this point.
    It's been apparent for some time that Hendrick isn't on track for a big league career unless he dramatically improves his contact rate. He's got power. He can run a bit. He has a very nice arm. And most importantly he has that lingering fragrance of a high draft pick. They're giving him every opportunity to succeed and justify that draft pick.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

6. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-27-2024)

I'm as surprised as anyone by Lowder's slow start. I had thought he was relatively polished. Does he throw as hard as expected, mid to high 90's. That plus a good changeup aught to be enough to get AA hitter's out.

Hendrick continues to sell out for power and swing at pitches outside of the zone. I have to think that either he won't take coaching or the Reds prefer it that way. I would think a more contact oriented swing would be in order.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I'm as surprised as anyone by Lowder's slow start. I had thought he was relatively polished. Does he throw as hard as expected, mid to high 90's. That plus a good changeup aught to be enough to get AA hitter's out.

Hendrick continues to sell out for power and swing at pitches outside of the zone. I have to think that either he won't take coaching or the Reds prefer it that way. I would think a more contact oriented swing would be in order.

I can’t believe the Reds would be OK with that but yet here he still is. And as far as power. What power? He’s providing nothing at all. At least Rece Hinds can be looked at as maybe a faster version of Rob Deer but Hendricks is beyond horrible. Was he a Buckley pick?

3 starts at AA and we already have people jumping off the Lowder train? Sheesh.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

10. Likes:

HokieRed (05-25-2024),ochoa30 (06-06-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    3 starts at AA and we already have people jumping off the Lowder train? Sheesh.
    No one said that?? He’s just not as advanced or ready obviously for that quick of a jump probably. I read a lot of posts from others thinking he could help this year. Before the year started.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    No one said that?? He’s just not as advanced or ready obviously for that quick of a jump probably. I read a lot of posts from others thinking he could help this year. Before the year started.
    Yeah and it’s been 3 starts. It means nothing.

Was at the AZ Reds game today. 3rd one I've been to this year and second one where both Lin and Stafura played. They should be in the radar soon. Both look like they will have the opportunity to be on top half of these lists in a year or so. After today they are hitting .375 and .345 respectively.

Schoenwetter pitched today and was dominant other than a bloop double he gave up after a bunt hit and a walk. 6K's in 3 innings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Yeah and it’s been 3 starts. It means nothing.
    I wouldn't say nothing. Giving up a .400 average against is something... especially when it was .159 in A+.

I'm sure he'll adjust eventually but it may take longer than many thought to get him making a contribution at the MLB level.
    Last edited by Dave C; 05-25-2024 at 06:24 PM.

14. Likes:

camisadelgolf (05-26-2024),lollipopcurve (05-29-2024),Rick Palmer (05-28-2024),Rose, Pete (06-03-2024),UKFlounder (05-25-2024)

It's three starts; it means something: i.e. that he's nowhere near ready and that RZ folk often have completely unrealistic ideas about pitcher development. He's not Paul Skenes; unfortunately that guy's in another category altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
    Was at the AZ Reds game today. 3rd one I've been to this year and second one where both Lin and Stafura played. They should be in the radar soon. Both look like they will have the opportunity to be on top half of these lists in a year or so. After today they are hitting .375 and .345 respectively.

Schoenwetter pitched today and was dominant other than a bloop double he gave up after a bunt hit and a walk. 6K's in 3 innings.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't say nothing. Giving up a .400 average against is something... especially when it was .159 in A+.

I'm sure he'll adjust eventually but it may take longer than many thought to get him making a contribution at the MLB level.
    .400 avg against probably means like a .600 babip or something crazy. It means literally nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Petty continues to limit homers at an elite rate. That might play well by the river.
    And, then there was tonight.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    And, then there was tonight.
    He didnt give up any HRs. I'm not sure why he was pulled, couldnt find any information on it. The only thing there was an on-field delay (rain?) but he pitched after that.

Log:
    1 - ground ball single on 2-2 count
    2 - ground ball single on first pitch
    3 - 3-2 walk where the 3rd ball was fully in the K-zone
    4 - ground ball double on first pitch
    On field delay
    5 - line drive single on 3-2 count
    6 - Throwing error by 2B on 2-2 cpunt
    7 - Flyout on 3-1 count
    Pulled.

19. Likes:

lollipopcurve (05-29-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    He didnt give up any HRs. I'm not sure why he was pulled, couldnt find any information on it. The only thing there was an on-field delay (rain?) but he pitched after that.

Log:
    1 - ground ball single on 2-2 count
    2 - ground ball single on first pitch
    3 - 3-2 walk where the 3rd ball was fully in the K-zone
    4 - ground ball double on first pitch
    On field delay
    5 - line drive single on 3-2 count
    6 - Throwing error by 2B on 2-2 cpunt
    7 - Flyout on 3-1 count
    Pulled.
    I'm just throwing a guess out there, but if he's on a pitch count, they were probably counting the pitches he was throwing to stay warm for the delay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    Stop quoting me on things I never said.

21. Likes:

malcontent (05-28-2024),Rojo Rijo (05-30-2024)

Keith Law has Lowder, Collier at 38, 39 on his updated top 50
    https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/553...ason-holliday/
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

23. Likes:

Marc D (06-04-2024)

Turn Off Ads?