Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Jose Garcia

Re: Reds Sign Jose Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Still some two weeks to go in the season, but as of right now Jose Garcia has snuck into the top 10 in OPS in the Florida State League, and he's the youngest hitter on that list. He leads the FSL in doubles and he is 6th in SLG percentage.

There is one facet of his game has not improved by the numbers though, and that is errors. He committed 24 last year at shortstop for Dayton and is at that same number now in Daytona. But that's not totally uncommon for young infielders in the minors, though obviously an area for improvement.
    Great year for his development. As you mentioned, the errors are fine for a young guy like this. The fact that he’s showing he can hit is huge for the whole organization.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Still some two weeks to go in the season, but as of right now Jose Garcia has snuck into the top 10 in OPS in the Florida State League, and he's the youngest hitter on that list. He leads the FSL in doubles and he is 6th in SLG percentage.

There is one facet of his game has not improved by the numbers though, and that is errors. He committed 24 last year at shortstop for Dayton and is at that same number now in Daytona. But that's not totally uncommon for young infielders in the minors, though obviously an area for improvement.
    He is having an incredibly under the radar year. It is also crazy how much the FSL suppresses offensive numbers.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-23-2019),Tom Servo (08-19-2019)

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

19 games into August and for the month he's slashing .378/.432/.541/.973 with 9 doubles and only 9 strikeouts.
    Last edited by SoTxRedsFan; 08-23-2019 at 10:29 AM.

6. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (08-23-2019),BillDoran (08-23-2019),cumberlandreds (08-26-2019),Edd Roush (08-24-2019),Griffey012 (08-23-2019),Old school 1983 (08-23-2019),RedsfaninMT (08-23-2019),Rolando (08-23-2019),Tom Servo (08-23-2019),Tuff Nut (08-23-2019)

Those offensive stats are awesome! Hopefully mercenaries arrows are fielding errors.I would think Fielding errors a lot easier to correct then throwing errors
    Crazy Reds Fan

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I would have to think he’s a top-5 prospect within this system now.

I got:

1. Lodolo
    2. Tyler Stephenson
    3. Greene
    4. Garcia
    5. India
    6. Siani
    7. Santillan
    8. Callihan
    9. Richardson
    10.Fairchild

9. Likes:

Griffey012 (08-23-2019)

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post

I got:

1. Lodolo
    2. Tyler Stephenson
    3. Greene
    4. Garcia
    5. India
    6. Siani
    7. Santillan
    8. Callihan
    9. Richardson
    10.Fairchild
    Definitely, and getting close to our best position prospect at this point too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    Those offensive stats are awesome! Hopefully mercenaries arrows are fielding errors.I would think Fielding errors a lot easier to correct then throwing errors
    Mercenary arrows are the worst....
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

12. Likes:

Brisco (08-26-2019),Rolando (08-24-2019),TRF (08-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post

I got:

1. Lodolo
    2. Tyler Stephenson
    3. Greene
    4. Garcia
    5. India
    6. Siani
    7. Santillan
    8. Callihan
    9. Richardson
    10.Fairchild
    If you want to get technical based on prospect eligibility I would go:
    1. Aquino
    2. Greene
    3. JVM
    4. Lodolo
    5. Stephenson
    6. Garcia
    7. India
    8. Santillan
    9. Siani
    10. Callihan

I’m struggling to drop Greene much based on his performance thus far. I still think he ends up a #2 or higher. Worst case he is an elite closer. I like Lodolo a lot, just need to see a bit more, but I think his upside is being sold short in a lot of places. This far all of Aquino and JVM’s numbers point to legitimacy.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

3 for 4 last night with a HR and SB. He's having a nice year. up to .276 and a .767 OPS. He's a doubles machine too with 36! How is this kids defense?

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    3 for 4 last night with a HR and SB. He's having a nice year. up to .276 and a .767 OPS. He's a doubles machine too with 36! How is this kids defense?
    Doug recently called him a "strong defensive shortstop," (link) though he's committed 25 errors this year and 28 last year. He hasn't played an inning off of shortstop this year. So, I suppose that might say something about where the organization sees him.

16. Likes:

DocRed (08-25-2019)

He's rangy with a strong arm, but he's still a bit error prone. That's fairly common with young shortstops.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

18. Likes:

DocRed (08-25-2019),mth123 (08-25-2019),ochoa30 (08-25-2019),Old school 1983 (08-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    He's rangy with a strong arm, but he's still a bit error prone. That's fairly common with young shortstops.
    Elmer Concepcion agrees with you.

I wouldn't go by errors.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

20. Likes:

M2 (08-26-2019)

Wilmer Flores type ceiling. Less power but a little more speed

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    His ceiling is a guy who's accumulated a total of 1.2 WAR over 7 seasons?

Garcia leads the league in doubles and is well above average in power. He's currently top 20 in the FSL, and I think you can expect a number of his doubles to turn into HRs overtime. His growth from last year is really impressive. He may end up having a career like Flores, but that's not his ceiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    [Hot Take]Jose Garcia is a better prospect than Jeter Downs. Or at least his equal. [/Hot Take]

25. Likes:

BillDoran (08-25-2019),DocRed (08-26-2019),Edd Roush (08-25-2019),RiverRat13 (08-26-2019)

Turn Off Ads?