Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

Re: David Bell Needs to...Stay?

They are going to give him 2021 to see what he can do. As I’ve said before. At least bring in a different hitting coach who can help these hitters with their strengths. The 1982-83 offense was more exciting than this.

2. Likes:

goreds2 (10-01-2020),HammerTime (10-02-2020),REDREAD (10-02-2020),redsfanmia (10-02-2020),SirFelixCat (10-02-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Totally different team, but it didn't feel relevant to start a new thread:
    Thoughts on the Brewers bringing Hader in down 3-0 in the top of the 6th.
    I have no opinion right now (I'm a lil tipsy and not thinking that hard on it)

Do you guys like that play? I think it feels like an overreach to me.
    Still rooting for the Brew Crew to win this one.
    I'm guessing they're pitching Hader 2 innings.

Edited to add: I had a few drinks, if this belongs elsewhere, I apologize and please move it.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Totally different team, but it didn't feel relevant to start a new thread:
    Thoughts on the Brewers bringing Hader in down 3-0 in the top of the 6th.
    I have no opinion right now (I'm a lil tipsy and not thinking that hard on it)

Do you guys like that play? I think it feels like an overreach to me.
    Still rooting for the Brew Crew to win this one.
    I'm guessing they're pitching Hader 2 innings.

Edited to add: I had a few drinks, if this belongs elsewhere, I apologize and please move it.
    It is a do or die game for Brewers. Have to put out all the stops they can. I should have drank also after what happened to the Reds.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-02-2020)

I'll also say this:
    I was very critical of Bell all year long.
    Once they got their **** together, it seemed like managing errors disappeared...maybe it was just the team playing better, who knows?
    That said, I sit here now sullenly wondering how you place blame an entire offense completely imploding versus how much blame you put on the manager/staff.
    IMHO people need to go.
    The offensive output this season is inexcusable.
    Edited to add: I've been drinking, I apologize for the curse word in my previous post.
    Last edited by OGB; 10-02-2020 at 12:22 AM.
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

8. Likes:

REDREAD (10-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    It is a do or die game for Brewers. Have to put out all the stops they can. I should have drank also after what happened to the Reds.
    Part of me doesn't know exactly what's going on because I just got off work and thinks pitching Hader in the 6th is weird/risky, part of me says you have to have someone else to go in the 6th, especially since he went 1 and 1/3.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by jwdoc77 View Post
    Aquino only went because Farmer was hung out to dry and out by a mile. Aquino did the right thing if the guy stealing second gets in a pickle...try to score before they tag him out.
    I agree... but the guy runs like Bambi! LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

11. Likes:

jwdoc77 (10-02-2020),wally post (10-02-2020)

Bell only goes if the Reds are trying to send an overall message that the season was not acceptable to them, that it hurt them. I don't think that will happen (due to more than just baseball reasons). The Reds will look at this as a stepping stone for 2021.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (10-02-2020)

As David Bell walked to the team bus after the game yesterday, he encountered a woman who was in tears next to her car. Bell asked, "Ma'am, what's wrong?" The lady, sobbing, responded, "I have an important meeting in ten minutes and just noticed that I have a huge run in my stocking."

The concerned Bell jumped to action, asking "That's terrible. Is there anything I can do to help?"

The woman looked up, furrowed her brow, and said, "I don't think so. After all, you're the Reds manager, right? I'm pretty sure you don't even know what a run is."
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

15. Likes:

Assembly Hall (10-02-2020),Chip R (10-02-2020),GAC (10-03-2020),M2 (10-03-2020),mth123 (10-02-2020),Revering4Blue (10-02-2020),SirFelixCat (10-02-2020),The Operator (10-02-2020)

FWIW, regardless who made the call, IMO Reds batting approach was misguided this year.

Swinging for homers isn’t needed at GABP. Well hit balls will leave that stadium often enough.

And swinging for homers as a main approach doesn’t work well in most larger stadiums. As the Reds’ road stats show very dramatically.

The best way to bridge the gap between GABP an the road is with a balanced attack.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-02-2020 at 12:29 PM.

17. Likes:

Boss-Hog (10-02-2020),M2 (10-03-2020),REDREAD (10-02-2020),Revering4Blue (10-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Castellanos’ strikeout rate had been about 21-22% the last few years. It was over 28% this year.

It fits the same pattern as a number of the guys. Suarez, good power, higher walks, 33% strikeouts, BA at the Mendoza line.
    Almost everyone on the team had career worst years. Obviously the approach doesn't work.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (10-02-2020),SirFelixCat (10-02-2020)

Statistical analysts are not necessarily decision makers for a sports team (or other business). They perform analyses and provide the results, perhaps with specific ideas and suggestions.

The decision makers close to the ballclub make the judgment whether and how to apply the information.

As to matters of player performance, that would absolutely include manager David Bell. And for pitching performance that would also, absolutely, include pitching coach Derrick Johnson.
    Right, but the guy they give those results to isn't David Bell. The organization, with Dick Williams, Nick Krall and David Bell (and maybe others like Walt Jocketty), decide with Williams vote counting like 10 times more than the others. Once the decision is made, Bell's job is to implement it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Right, but the guy they give those results to isn't David Bell. The organization, with Dick Williams, Nick Krall and David Bell (and maybe others like Walt Jocketty), decide with Williams vote counting like 10 times more than the others. Once the decision is made, Bell's job is to implement it.
    I believe this to be incorrect. Bell would have a meaningful role in decisions about the team’s batting approach. And we can fairly assume he endorsed the approach Reds used this season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-02-2020 at 12:36 PM.

I believe this to be incorrect. Bell would have a meaningful role in decisions about the team’s batting approach. And we can fairly assume he endorsed the approach Reds used this season.
    Agree to disagree. I don't think this is true in this day and age. In the 60s and 70s, sure. Now, I think these types of decisions are made by the front office. The Manager is hired based on whether he agrees with the vision.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Did Jesse Winker suddenly become a power hitter on his own? His K rate went from 15.6% to 25% in one season. Since Bell took over his K rate went from 13.8% to 25%. Was that just a personal decision?

The team urged power hitting and walks based on analytics. Of course each player handles that advice his own way.

It relates to personnel, sure, but the organizational emphasis seems clear. And players try to comply to one extent or the other.
    Yes. Exactly.
    And let's remember the context of how this season started.
    The Reds had just signed a bunch of OF.
    Winker was penciled in as a part time or platoon guy.
    Of course Winker is going to change his approach to make Bell or the "powers that be" happy.
    A guy in Winker's situation is going to follow orders so that he gains playing time instead of losing it.
    Note: I am not blaming Winker at all, I would have done the same thing in his situation.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Today should be the date listed on his unemployment checks.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?