Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds interested in Castellanos

Re: Reds interested in Castellanos

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    I'm wondering if its not the amount of money but the overall attractiveness of the Reds. I wanted Dellin Betances badly but realize that he wanted to be in NYC badly so he wasn't really even an option. It's going to stink if Castellanos takes a deal with another team and we hear the same kind of thing that we did with Ozuna.
    i agree and this is exactly why nick krall and dick williams need to turn into urban meyer/nick saban-esqe recruiters for the time being. find a way to sell castellanos on playing for the reds.

2. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (01-25-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Might just be me, but anytime I see a thread starting with, "Reds interested in....", I think, not happening, move along.

5. Likes:

Bob Sheed (01-24-2020),RedsFanInMS (01-24-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Buxton had that same designation. I recall readding that senzel for him was an overpay because he had one bad season.

Sometimes we overhype our own. No one disagrees the Reds need an upgrade at SS. Cleveland isn't trading Lindor unless they are out of it come July 31. I actually like Galvis defensively, and think he brings plenty of pop to the position. But he can't find 1B with a map, and this team as constructed has a real OBP issue.
    Trading Senzel for Buxton was dumb last offseason and it’s still dumb this one lol

Now that we're talking about Castellanos again, put me in the camp over preferring a one-year deal to a multi-year contract. Grab a year of his prime, reap the benefits of him playing for a big contract next winter, then use that money to make adjustments the next winter.

What we've seen from the Reds is two straight winters of being active operators (and they made moves during the season too), and now we're thinking they should be contenders. Just 15 months ago this franchise was laying around like a dead thing. The lesson, IMO, is to keep churning. You want to be a franchise that matters? Then maintain a high activity level. Grab a Castellanos for a year. Next year grab someone else.
    Last edited by M2; 01-24-2020 at 02:39 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

Benihana (01-24-2020),Mitri (01-24-2020)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Now that we're talking about Castellanos again, put me in the camp over preferring a one-year deal to a multi-year contract. Grab a year of his prime, reap the benefits of him playing for a big contract next winter, then use that money to make adjustments the next winter.

What we've seen from the Reds is two straight winters of being active operators (and they made moves during the season too), and now we're thinking they should be contenders. Just 15 months ago this franchise was laying around like a dead thing. The lesson, IMO, is to keep churning. You want to be a franchise that matters? Then maintain a high activity. Grab a Castellanos for a year. Next year grab someone else.
    You're assuming he'll sign for a year.

10. Likes:

Old school 1983 (01-24-2020)

Cubs are closing in on a deal for Steven Souza. Might effectively remove them from Castellanos sweepstakes.

My guess is the Castellanos delay is about money and years. Not Reds as a team, or Rangers as a team.

Guys like Ozuna take one-year deals when the big LTC is not forthcoming. Moustakas and Grandal did that previously, for example.

I don’t know the expected level by Ozuna or Castellanos, but it’s probably an overpay like $20MM X 5 years. If not happening, just take the QO level for a year with a top team, get some October baseball, and try again next year.

Question for Reds is how badly they want to be a clear contender in 2020. Or whether they are ok with another year of improvement, hope for some good luck, and just keep building.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-24-2020 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Trading Senzel for Buxton was dumb last offseason and it’s still dumb this one lol
    not to derail or anything, and I've stated that I don't like WAR, but Buxton had a 3.1 WAR season last year. He had over 100 fewer PA's than your boy Senzel.

What did Senzel produce? 0.6?

Yeah all kinds of dumb.

Now back to your regularly scheduled debate.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    You're assuming he'll sign for a year.
    Sure. And if he won't, IMO, that makes him less attractive.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

not to derail or anything,
    Just shoehorning a pointless, lightning rod take into an unrelated topic. No derailing here.

16. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (01-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    Might just be me, but anytime I see a thread starting with, "Reds interested in....", I think, not happening, move along.
    The first couple "Reds interested in..." threads had me stoked, but you are right with each one I get less interested. Who AREN'T the Reds interested in?
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyJ View Post
    Just shoehorning a pointless, lightning rod take into an unrelated topic. No derailing here.
    It was a meandering point i was making, true. Franco was declared the top overall prospect 2 years in a row. I was told in this thread he was UNTOUCHABLE. Because top prospect. Buxton was given that same designation. And I was told 0.6 WAR chronically injured and mediocre fielder now with NO POSITION was an overpay for a guy that has won a GG, was a top 20 vote getter for MVP and just posted a 3.1 WAR season despite having over 100 FEWER PA's than said superstar Nick Senzel.

My point is simple: get better players. Wander Franco fits that bill, and TB loves getting 2 things: anything that keeps their payroll down, and teams that throw talent at them. I don't see a spot for Senzel on the Reds. I also see no spot on the reds for India.

My proposal was Mahle, India, Senzel, Garcia and one of Santillan, Winker, Ervin, Callihan, Hinds for Wander Franco. If the Reds signed Castellanos, I see almost no reason not to overpay to get Franco. I also see TB looking hard at that and thinking they might have to pull the trigger and say yes, because they can then flip their OF glut for more prospects, keep their payroll down and still probably compete in the AL East.

But hey... feel free to put me on ignore if my posts bother you and Mr Wonderful that much.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    I see what you're saying, except that the Shogo interest turned out to be legit.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

It was a meandering point i was making, true. Franco was declared the top overall prospect 2 years in a row. I was told in this thread he was UNTOUCHABLE. Because top prospect. Buxton was given that same designation. And I was told 0.6 WAR chronically injured and mediocre fielder now with NO POSITION was an overpay for a guy that has won a GG, was a top 20 vote getter for MVP and just posted a 3.1 WAR season despite having over 100 FEWER PA's than said superstar Nick Senzel.

My point is simple: get better players. Wander Franco fits that bill, and TB loves getting 2 things: anything that keeps their payroll down, and teams that throw talent at them. I don't see a spot for Senzel on the Reds. I also see no spot on the reds for India.

My proposal was Mahle, India, Senzel, Garcia and one of Santillan, Winker, Ervin, Callihan, Hinds for Wander Franco. If the Reds signed Castellanos, I see almost no reason not to overpay to get Franco. I also see TB looking hard at that and thinking they might have to pull the trigger and say yes, because they can then flip their OF glut for more prospects, keep their payroll down and still probably compete in the AL East.

But hey... feel free to put me on ignore if my posts bother you and Mr Wonderful that much.
    I'm curious as to whom will play SS for us in 2020 if the Franco trade actually goes through. I doubt it's the 18 year old Franco who hasn't played above A ball.

21. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (01-24-2020)

I for one, am not fixated on getting another power bat. The Cubs traded a 2017 first rounder and a 2018 second rounder for Castellanos at the deadline last year. They were 57-50 at the time. After the trade they went 27-28. Also, among the Reds' objectives this offseason was to improve outfield defense. I'd be fine with Holt alone.

23. Likes:

Rdirtypirates (01-25-2020)

Turn Off Ads?